Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Adelaide?

Perth or Adelaide?

Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

dlowe is just really nicedlowe is just really nicedlowe is just really nicedlowe is just really nicedlowe is just really nicedlowe is just really nicedlowe is just really nicedlowe is just really nice
Question Perth or Adelaide?

which is the better place to live for cost of living and weather?

Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:09 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Adelaide?

Originally Posted by dlowe

Weather the same ,cost of living cheaper , thats Adelaide...........mm
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Hard question as personal preference comes into it.

Adelaide a lot cheaper houses but pays less.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:15 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

The cost of living in Perth is extortionate yet the salaries that many people are getting are outrageous. I know severa engineers for mining companies that now Push over 200k for instance. Not bad for boys in their mid twenties.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:33 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Never been to Adelaide but Perth does has a high cost of living I find prices here higher than I did in Regional Queensland.

There are a lot of people on over 200k here in Perth I met a 27yr old last week who is now tired of buying houses and has now just bought a 300k boat from Florida! I imagine there would be a few in Adelaide that would make that kind of cash too from the mining in Olympic dam. I just moved to Perth and had a choice of here or Adelaide, I chose Perth but only as I have family here otherwise I would have went to Adelaide.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

dlowe is just really nicedlowe is just really nicedlowe is just really nicedlowe is just really nicedlowe is just really nicedlowe is just really nicedlowe is just really nicedlowe is just really nice

Originally Posted by Weebie
The cost of living in Perth is extortionate yet the salaries that many people are getting are outrageous. I know severa engineers for mining companies that now Push over 200k for instance. Not bad for boys in their mid twenties.
are their any jobs in the mining industry for cnc millers, machinest,s with over 20 yrs experience do you know? maybe a stupid question but i wouldnt have a clue! just trying to find out for my husband as its knowing where to look to find a job.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:03 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

You've be better off asking someone else that but we've got soem massive projects coming up in WA. Gorgon for instance is about 4 times bigger than the previous biggest O&G project pluto which is now up and running. The issue is that this should extend for lets just say 10-20 years.

In terms of Career Opportunities Perth is far superior to Adelaide. Not that there is anything wrong with Adelaide, The city seems to have a lot more going for it.

Last edited by Weebie; Feb 1st 2011 at 2:05 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:15 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

are their any jobs in the mining industry for cnc millers, machinest,s with over 20 yrs experience do you know? maybe a stupid question but i wouldnt have a clue! just trying to find out for my husband as its knowing where to look to find a job.
You could try this company, always on the look out for good operators........mm

http://www.toolcraft.com.au/
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:03 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
You've be better off asking someone else that but we've got soem massive projects coming up in WA. Gorgon for instance is about 4 times bigger than the previous biggest O&G project pluto which is now up and running. The issue is that this should extend for lets just say 10-20 years.

In terms of Career Opportunities Perth is far superior to Adelaide. Not that there is anything wrong with Adelaide, The city seems to have a lot more going for it.
Err, dont know where you got the info about Pluto, but suggest you check your sources.

Pluto is nowhere near up and running. RFSU was originally meant to be 9th August 2010 then Woodside delayed it to Nov '10 then Jan '11, then Mar'11. Now RFSU is predicted for approx Aug/Sept '11 due to the problem with the flare tower.

They are not even halfway through commissioning yet.

VK

(ex pluto employee who spent 2.5 years working on the engineering and construction stages)
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:03 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

double post
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:35 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Yes there are. A lot of fabrication work for the resources projects is done offshore in Thailand or Korea etc, but there's still a few fabrication companies in Perth that supply to the resources projects. Most of these companies are located in the industrial suburbs such as Kewdale/Welshpool, Osbourne Park/Balcatta/Malaga or down towards Kwinana. There are even a couple up in the Pilbara if you were willing to go regional.

He wont get a mega high salary but he'll still get a decent amount. More if he can get some site work, but those jobs are fiercely contested, cos there's not that many and cos of the 25%+ uplifts involved.

But even in Perth he'd certainly get roughly in line with average WA salaries.

One thing to consider would be, if he was willing to take his 20+ years on the job experience and go into inspection work.

WA is crying out for good fabrication inspectors and he'd get a lot more money as an inspector. Plus site work is more likely as an inspector than as a miller/machinist.

Hope this helps

VK

PS. I can only speak for Perth / WA. I have no idea if his prospects would be better somewhere else in Australia

Last edited by Vegemite Kids; Feb 3rd 2011 at 2:47 pm. Reason: Clarification & Spelling
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Only ever been to WA ( Perth)on a weekend break, Personally i did not find it any different in cost than Adelaide.
Adelaide is expensive compared to the bigger cities, Sydney , Brisbane etc.
Granted the Housing is cheaper , But in general the groceries and especially clothes and shoes etc are more expensive, This is due to not as many people so the competition is kept to a minimum, Flights are more expensive from Adelaide and so are most Licences and TAFE courses, all about revenue.
CNC Millers are not in great demand in Adelaide, the last time i came across a vacancy for this the employer was offering casual wages at $24 per hr.
For that type of work as other have said Mining in WA
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Perth or Adelaide?

Thankyou to everyone for your replies, they have been very helpful and informative. we did have a look at a jobs website and Melbourne came up with alot more jobs in cnc compared to Adelaide and Perth but for some reason i am drawn towards Perth. I suppose we will just have to keep looking and when the time comes send resumes off to different employers and see what happens.
What are your thoughts on Melbourne? is this a good place to work and live, we have 2 children 6 and 14 so we have to think of them too.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Thankyou to everyone for your replies, they have been very helpful and informative. we did have a look at a jobs website and Melbourne came up with alot more jobs in cnc compared to Adelaide and Perth but for some reason i am drawn towards Perth. I suppose we will just have to keep looking and when the time comes send resumes off to different employers and see what happens.
What are your thoughts on Melbourne? is this a good place to work and live, we have 2 children 6 and 14 so we have to think of them too.
Melbourne is a great place, We did a 2 week reckie there at the beginning, and have been back for shopping, Friends and Philip island racing.
Everywhere is good in oz if it has what suites you and yours. I know of a family that just could not get along in Melbourne as it was to big and imposing for them, so they moved to Adelaide and doing great. Then i have met others that can’t make it work in Adelaide so move to Melbourne and all is good.