Perth

Old Aug 7th 2010, 4:56 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth

The thread about people never having visited other Australian cities than the ones they live in but yet have visited major foreign destinations, yes it was interesting.

I can't but wonder what the life must be like in a city like Perth which is practically isolated from almost everywhere. What I have heard is that life there is very good. My very good Australian friend moved from Sydney to Perth and got a much bigger house.

However, Australia is considered an isolated country and Perth is certainly isolated itself within an isolated country.

What are your views of Perth? How many of you have even visited the place?

Last edited by THR; Aug 7th 2010 at 5:06 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of
Default Re: Perth

Born there, lived there as a kid. Came to the UK in my teens.

Want to head back.

Several mates have visited Australia, 2 emmigrated to Perth and another 2 would live there if they could.

Took the wife to get married there, she loves it too.

Seems to be a place that most tourists avoid, the ones that don't, want to stay.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by THR
The thread about people never having visited other Australian cities than the ones they live in but yet have visited major foreign destinations, yes it was interesting.

I can't but wonder what the life must be like in a city like Perth which is practically isolated from almost everywhere. What I have heard is that life there is very good. My very good Australian friend moved from Sydney to Perth and got a much bigger house.

However, Australia is considered an isolated country and Perth is certainly isolated itself within an isolated country.

The city that produces the most polarized views of any in Australia.
Many love it, just as many seem to loath it.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 10:17 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 7 years, it's great. Love it. The Mrs would have preferred QLD though, "more to do" over east.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:27 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

We have been here 5 years now, perfectly happy here, yeah I spend time thinking 'I'd like to go to here there everywhere but its so far blah blah' but y'know when I was in the Uk I used to think 'I'd love to go here there everywhere but its too much money wah wah'
Its a nice little town-yeah it is small compared to where I used to live but thats partly why it is a nice as it is- its all accessable.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a born and bred Western Australian but haven't lived there for more than eight months at a time in the last fifteen years or so. The reason for the short stints is that I always feel the pull to go back home, but when I get there, I go a little stir crazy. Perth is beautiful and my kids love the place, they would go back tomorrow, but we're taking them back to Brisbane (where they were all born) in the next few weeks which will be much better for them in the long term.

The suburbs close to Perth and Fremantle along the coast to say City Beach are lovely, but the outer suburbs of Perth hold no attraction for me at all. Also some of the hills suburbs with acreage are nice. Perth is isolated and doesn't have the same opportunities that the east coast cities do. I love WA and one day may move back there permanently but not for a while yet.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved from UK to perth, then to adelaide, then back to perth.

Theres a lot to like and a lot to dislike about perth, no one will be able to tell you here if you will like it. Everyone is different, you need to experience it for yourself as thats the only way you will know how you feel about it.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

bin here coming up for 3 years... visit perth most weeks... I LOVE the place... I love the lifestyle, I love the life our kids have... I love the laid back attitudes and the sun and the space and the differences to what we were about in the uk...

but I HATE nursing in WA... have been told it's different on the East coast... but TBH it's too far and we're too settled to even think about giving it a go
Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:31 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

But it must be quite common for the people who live in Perth that they have nevr been to places such as Melbourne or Sydney but have been to places like London or New York.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
But it must be quite common for the people who live in Perth that they have nevr been to places such as Melbourne or Sydney but have been to places like London or New York.
Not every single person in Perth comes from overseas. I would imagine a large percentage of people living here have been to Sydney/Melbourne etc many times but have never been to London or New York.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 1:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR

It's a great place to live - the best city in Australia IMO.

We are closer to SE Asia and the places I want to visit - Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand. It is cheaper to fly to these cities than it is to fly to the east coast - and cheaper to visit. From Singapore and KL you have cheap access to most of Asia and beyond to Europe.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:25 am
Perth......at last!

sponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of light

We've been here just over 3 years now.
Kids love it, miss the relee's back in UK on special occasions like bdays.They have made loads of friends, love the beach, love having the open space.
We too, love it here, reminds us of the country part of UK but with a bit of busy areas if you want it. Could wish for Asdas, Tescos etc, but you learn to do with out it, and supermarkets have got better stocked in last 3 years.
Every thing is more laid back which allows you time to enjoy life and enjoy the kids, which we didn't have time for back in UK.
Have pets now too, since there is more space to have them...2 dogs, 5kids, 2 storey detached house with pool life is great.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's a great place to live - the best city in Australia IMO.

We are closer to SE Asia and the places I want to visit - Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand. It is cheaper to fly to these cities than it is to fly to the east coast - and cheaper to visit. From Singapore and KL you have cheap access to most of Asia and beyond to Europe.
Best city is Darwin in my opinion - even closer to SE Asia!
But Perth does have Air Asia.

I have only visited Perth as a tourist, and didn't like it.... It was my last Aussie capital city and the only one I didn't like. I loved Freo though.
And Perth is a great jumping off point to the gorgeous SW coast.

But as a city, I didn't like it. Not sure why. Just found it a bit bland and lacking character as a visitor - I only spent 3 days there, maybe I should have spent longer.
Think I was disappointed too as I had heard so many people raving about how good a city it was!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Went to Perth about 25 years ago with a view to migrating there. Hated every single second. The boyfriend (now husband) picked me up from the airport and within 20 minutes I just wanted him to turn round and take me back to the airport. Was there for a month and it was a month too long. However, that's a long time ago and I have no idea what it's like now so can't comment when people bitch about it.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
The boyfriend (now husband) picked me up from the airport and within 20 minutes I just wanted him to turn round and take me back to the airport.
I bet he took you down the Tonkin Highway, it looks just like Iraq, horrible.

When we pick guests up from the airport we always take them via a more scenic route.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.