Perth.

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Caligulove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth.

Love Perth, sure Melbourne is a few years ahead in terms of arts, transport etcetera, but Perth is brilliant (and catching up quick!!) .
In regards to uni, UWA is the way to go, a very well respected uni, beautiful campus in a beautiful area. Good law program too.
Personally northern/western suburbs are the way to go but it always depends how much you want to spend, and what you want in a suburb.

Perth has some brilliant (and not so brilliant) schools. I guess it depends on where you're living. Check out the 'My School' website, gives a comparison. Mind you, don't make your mind up based on results!

WA is a great state. Very diverse, amazing landscapes, some great people, awesome wine regions, etc etc etc.
Good luck
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

chrisandelaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sme
I am a mental health nurse with too many years of experience behind me! Was a band 6 prior to emigrating - took a marginal pay cut (lower grade but good penalties) and went part time. Learnt the system and have now had a significant promotion with decent pay - have gone back full time.
Me and my family love Perth, the opportunities it can offer, the slower, less frantic pace of life, the beach life style (my kids & husband have got into it in a big way! Surf life saving etc), family time and shops shut on a sunday-HOORAY!!!!!
Other hate the things I love but it would be dull world if we all liked the same things!
Hi sme, yeah my wifer is a band 6 too, but like you say mite have to take what we can, is there much need for spec diabetic nurses ?

i am trying to find out as much as poss about each city to see where siuts us.

chris
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil52
I agree with Suzy especially with older children you might want to look at somewhere with more nightlife clubs etc, although Perth is nice it can seem boring for teenagers especially if they have been brought up in a major city.
Good luck whatever you decide
Perth isn't boring for teenagers or people in their early 20's, it is hardly a small town, there is plenty of nightlife to be had...I know coz I was living in Perth in my early 20's in the late 80's... I don't think its changed that much... granted its not the same as London. From my observations its single people in their late 20's/early 30's that find Perth a bit 'small.'
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Perth isn't boring for teenagers or people in their early 20's, it is hardly a small town, there is plenty of nightlife to be had...I know coz I was living in Perth in my early 20's in the late 80's... I don't think its changed that much... granted its not the same as London. From my observations its single people in their late 20's/early 30's that find Perth a bit 'small.'
School excursions possibilities are very limited. Lack of museums and art galleries. For teenagers who get involved in sport, there are lots of opportunities. Some music and comedy shows around, but usually there's a lot of alcohol involved. Nightlife in the 1980s cannot be compared to nightlife now. Huge amount of binge drinking, violence and drugs in nightclubs and on the streets. Several people killed by the "one punch" syndrome, or cricket or baseball bats. Many Perth people would not travel on the trains or buses at night and it can be hard to get a taxi.

I believe that it's important for Perth people to go and live/work somewhere else for a while, and there are loads of 20-30 year olds who do that. Also more 18 year olds going interstate for uni. I'd hate to be single in Perth.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by HelenTD
School excursions possibilities are very limited. Lack of museums and art galleries.
LoL, tell me about it. The last school trip my youngest had was a ride on a bus .
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:39 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Have you seen the film "Ground-hog day" ?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

School excursions possibilities are very limited. Lack of museums and art galleries. For teenagers who get involved in sport, there are lots of opportunities. Some music and comedy shows around, but usually there's a lot of alcohol involved. Nightlife in the 1980s cannot be compared to nightlife now. Huge amount of binge drinking, violence and drugs in nightclubs and on the streets. Several people killed by the "one punch" syndrome, or cricket or baseball bats. Many Perth people would not travel on the trains or buses at night and it can be hard to get a taxi.

I believe that it's important for Perth people to go and live/work somewhere else for a while, and there are loads of 20-30 year olds who do that. Also more 18 year olds going interstate for uni. I'd hate to be single in Perth.
Well I am a teacher and have organised lots of great excursions where the students have had a blast. The Zoo, Holocaust Museum, Aborginal camping expeditions, Mundaring Weir. If you think they are all dying to go to art galleries, well I am sorry, but you are very mistaken.

I agree with you that there is more violence on the street compared to the late 80's. There was a spate of one punch deaths but there hasn't been one for ages. Who are we comparing to, don't say the UK, because my son went to school with a kid who was attacked by a mob in Aberdeen and is nor severly brain damaged. I thing this kind of violence and binge drinking is a culture prevalent in both the UK and Australia in equal measure.

My sons are both at uni and they are out constantly - we hardly see them. They avoid certain night spots but they have joined a lot of clubs at uni, my eldest does debating, rowing and tennis. My youngest plays football and is in the army reserves. There are lots of bands and gigs on. They have lots of outdoor pursuits, and with their mates regularly go camping and boating. They are happy here and are never bored.

Apart from London, how many cities in the UK are full of such things as you mention? "I would hate to be single in Perth," being single in any city past a certain point is a challenge. My cousin lives in New York and got divorced 5 years ago and hasn't had anyone serious since.

Perth is a small city and if you expect all the things and vibrancy only a "world" city like London, Paris or New York could provide, then you will be disappointed. But we wouldn't have the wonderful lifestyle we have here if we we lived in those cities.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Neil52
Have you seen the film "Ground-hog day" ?
Yes, and if that was your life in Perth, well I am sorry, but that is most likely because you didn't put any effort in. Hang out with my sons, they have a blast in Perth because they put themselves out there, try new things, are adventurous and say yes to everything. They have wonderful, interesting friends. Life really is what YOU make it.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:04 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Perth has become much better for younger people in the last 5 years I've noticed (i'm 25) but to say there is plenty to do for young people in Perth especielly hwen yo ucoem from europe is absolute garbage IMO
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am a teacher and have organised lots of great excursions where the students have had a blast. The Zoo, Holocaust Museum, Aborginal camping expeditions, Mundaring Weir. If you think they are all dying to go to art galleries, well I am sorry, but you are very mistaken.

I agree with you that there is more violence on the street compared to the late 80's. There was a spate of one punch deaths but there hasn't been one for ages. Who are we comparing to, don't say the UK, because my son went to school with a kid who was attacked by a mob in Aberdeen and is nor severly brain damaged. I thing this kind of violence and binge drinking is a culture prevalent in both the UK and Australia in equal measure.

My sons are both at uni and they are out constantly - we hardly see them. They avoid certain night spots but they have joined a lot of clubs at uni, my eldest does debating, rowing and tennis. My youngest plays football and is in the army reserves. There are lots of bands and gigs on. They have lots of outdoor pursuits, and with their mates regularly go camping and boating. They are happy here and are never bored.

Apart from London, how many cities in the UK are full of such things as you mention? "I would hate to be single in Perth," being single in any city past a certain point is a challenge. My cousin lives in New York and got divorced 5 years ago and hasn't had anyone serious since.

Perth is a small city and if you expect all the things and vibrancy only a "world" city like London, Paris or New York could provide, then you will be disappointed. But we wouldn't have the wonderful lifestyle we have here if we we lived in those cities.
Unfortunately not all teachers are creative in seeking school excursion opportunities and mine have been to Perth Zoo and Mundaring Weir (considered very boring by my child), but not the other 2 you mentioned. I wouldn't want them to visit the Holocaust Museum, though, as they are too young. Their teachers haven't yet arranged for any class to go to the Maritime Musem in Freo, or to try bushwalking, or botanical anything, or science anything, or are these all considered high school stuff? My eldest child and I have had as much as we can take of Scitech, a sorry excuse for a science museum.

I was very lucky with school excursions where I grew up in the UK, and I feel sorry for Perth kids for what they miss. Yes, they gain in some ways, eg most kids in the UK don't get to go to surfing beaches. Obviously they are not going to visit Roman palaces here and there's probably not much rock art near Perth, if any.

I did not say that I expected all kids to want to go to art galleries, which is just as well when you live in Perth. I did say that there are many sporting opportunities, which hopefully keeps them busy and engaged.

I wouldn't want to be single in Perth due to its isolation and its insularity. I find Perthites (not the migrants, obviously ) very gossipy and very inter-connected in a way that you wouldn't find in a city of a similar population elsewhere, such as the UK. There is little confidentiality, little privacy and an avid interest in other people's lives and mishaps.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately not all teachers are creative in seeking school excursion opportunities and mine have been to Perth Zoo and Mundaring Weir (considered very boring by my child), but not the other 2 you mentioned. I wouldn't want them to visit the Holocaust Museum, though, as they are too young. Their teachers haven't yet arranged for any class to go to the Maritime Musem in Freo, or to try bushwalking, or botanical anything, or science anything, or are these all considered high school stuff? My eldest child and I have had as much as we can take of Scitech, a sorry excuse for a science museum.

I was very lucky with school excursions where I grew up in the UK, and I feel sorry for Perth kids for what they miss. Yes, they gain in some ways, eg most kids in the UK don't get to go to surfing beaches. Obviously they are not going to visit Roman palaces here and there's probably not much rock art near Perth, if any.

I did not say that I expected all kids to want to go to art galleries, which is just as well when you live in Perth. I did say that there are many sporting opportunities, which hopefully keeps them busy and engaged.

I wouldn't want to be single in Perth due to its isolation and its insularity. I find Perthites (not the migrants, obviously ) very gossipy and very inter-connected in a way that you wouldn't find in a city of a similar population elsewhere, such as the UK. There is little confidentiality, little privacy and an avid interest in other people's lives and mishaps.
Do you realise how many parents gripe at the cost of excursions. I work at a primary school and so many parents don't want to pay so therefore the majority of kids don't get to go because some places charge too much. We have just sent notes home for year 6/7 surf swimming. Cost $28. Moaning parents, millions!

You have also clearly never lived in a small community in the UK. Gossipy doesn't cover it. In the place I grew up in, my grandmother would know I was on my way to visit before I even got there. You need to take those blinkers off.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
Do you realise how many parents gripe at the cost of excursions. I work at a primary school and so many parents don't want to pay so therefore the majority of kids don't get to go because some places charge too much. We have just sent notes home for year 6/7 surf swimming. Cost $28. Moaning parents, millions!

You have also clearly never lived in a small community in the UK. Gossipy doesn't cover it. In the place I grew up in, my grandmother would know I was on my way to visit before I even got there. You need to take those blinkers off.
Cost of excursions is not an issue at our school - the teachers are just too lazy to come up with a stimulating programme.

Last year our 6/7 surf swimming lessons, which would be exactly the same as yours, cost us $45. I did complain about that, as the lessons only go up to stage 12+, when my son is beyond that but they don't offer a higher level. So we paid $45 for him to play at the beach for 2 weeks, when we can go there for free any day, and he doesn't get the satisfaction of completing another level like his friends.

How on earth can you think my comments about gossip relate to a small UK community? I was quite clearly talking about a similar-sized community to Perth, Western Australia.

I'm not the one wearing blinkers or rose-coloured glasses - go look in a mirror.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:31 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of excursions is not an issue at our school - the teachers are just too lazy to come up with a stimulating programme.

Last year our 6/7 surf swimming lessons, which would be exactly the same as yours, cost us $45. I did complain about that, as the lessons only go up to stage 12+, when my son is beyond that but they don't offer a higher level. So we paid $45 for him to play at the beach for 2 weeks, when we can go there for free any day, and he doesn't get the satisfaction of completing another level like his friends.

How on earth can you think my comments about gossip relate to a small UK community? I was quite clearly talking about a similar-sized community to Perth, Western Australia.

I'm not the one wearing blinkers or rose-coloured glasses - go look in a mirror.
My daughter is also at level 12, there is nothing the school can do about that - it isn't their problem. You can opt to keep your child out if you wish if you feel it is a waste of time, many parents do.

IMO, you were whining about the gossipy nature of Perth as if it was unique. I was merely pointing out that is isn't.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by deb68
We are looking at Perth and the surrounding areas as a location to settle our family into. Anyone have any thing nice to say about any areas that we might find nice to settle in, and/or any areas that seem to be on the way down etc?
Hope this makes sense to everyone
We are a married couple with four children, two over fifteen and two under four i blame the water hubby just grins...
I have a nursing job in the UK (nhs) done it for eleven years now, time to expand my horizons, the hubby works in the metals industry as a hands on manager, but also done other jobs.
Our eldest daughter is at college doing her A levels for university, she wants a law based career
So local college unis would be good, also junior and infants schools close to hand would be nice.
What a wish list
Anyone...
If I had to choose I most probably would go south of the river, however not too far south and not too far from the ocean your older ones might like surfing. South because of uni, eg Murdoch and the upcoming brand new Fiona Stanley Hospital next to Murdoch uni. Although that will take a few more years. It seems to me that most new migrants choose the northern suburbs but it's a long way for uni. As an example, if you don't want to live in an older house and one that is affordable, the suburbs south of Murdoch would be an option. It is hot there but you still get the afternoon breeze and with the right house (cross ventilation) and orientation it is ok. Furthermore it is not too far from a large shopping centre (Garden City) and Freo is not out of the world.

For school, check out myschool.com.au
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Bondo is an unknown quantity at this point

We visited for 2 weeks just over a year ago, we pretty much just saw the main suburbs around the centre of perth and fremantle. Ideally I'd like to live in North Fremantle, claremont or cottesloe, although on Phil down under when they went to Perth last week they said Cottesloe was the "Beverly Hills" of Perth, so perhaps that be a wee bit beyond our means

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.