Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth 18 months in...

Perth 18 months in...

Old Sep 1st 2005, 3:27 am
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice
Default Re: Perth 18 months in...

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I don't think you're in an position to say this after admitting that most of your problems are self-imposed. All you've proved is that it could have been a lot better if you hadn't made certain decisions. I still can't understand why you decided to live north of the river (in Scarborough, no less!) if you were working south of the river.
I think I'm in a perfectly reasonable position to say what I've said, which is emotive comments driven purely by how I feel at this time. They're not statements of fact, in fact I'm surprised myself to be at this juncture on the self-fulfilling prophecy rollercoaster of emigration.

All I meant by saying that stuff was self imposed is that it applies to our own particular circumstances. Could we be in a better position with different decisions? Well I can't change the weather (yes, 2 deg this morning, but thankfully the reverse cycle worked wonders), the traffic or the build quality of WA homes. And yes, for another poster, insulation is twofold, it keeps the summer heat OUT.

Anyway, the reason we live north and work south is circumstantial - at the time of selecting land, the best option for us was north, then I happened to bag a job down south. I like my job and don't wish to change, likewise I'm not about to move out of a brand new home anytime soon. The commuting rants therefore probably apply to many people who've found themselves in the same situation in Perth.

Over and out, and please bring Sky TV with you when you come back. Please..
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:43 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>

So let me get this straight: you built your own house an an area exposed to "howling westerly winds", yet somehow "surrounded by high flats" with "no direct sunlight."
<snip>
err .. no !

the house they rented was 'exposed to "howling westerly winds","surrounded by high flats" and "with "no direct sunlight." '

After expereincing that for 6(?) months I'm guessing the house they built was (as much as possible) the exact opposite.

<snip>
Exactly how a house can be simultaneously exposed to wind yet so closely surrounded that it receives no direct sunlight, I am at a loss to say.
<snip>
Having lived in 14 different countries I am no longer surprised by the stupidity of some builders I've expereinced a couple of times what i call the 'wind tunnel effect' whereby closely built highrises simultaneously stop sunlight but create a wind vortex - Paris and Taipei spring immediately to mind !
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:49 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nixstuff
<snip

And yes Vash, most of our issues are self imposed.

<snip>
\

Nix,
dont worry about this. most people (if they are truly honest) would admit to the same.

Reason being..... you make decisions based on previous experience. If said previous experience is in a different country with different climate and different culture then chances are you get it (so called) "wrong". God knows I got it wrong often enough when I moved country ( and after 14+ moves and then back to my home country of OZ I still made a couple of basic mistakes), but thats part of the "FUN" !!!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future

I don't think you're in an position to say this after admitting that most of your problems are self-imposed. All you've proved is that it could have been a lot better if you hadn't made certain decisions. I still can't understand why you decided to live north of the river (in Scarborough, no less!) if you were working south of the river.

West Brom is merely a half-way house for me while I wait for my wedding in October (when I'll be moving in with my fiance, who lives in Rushall.) By that time I will have spent a total of four months in West Brom.

West Brom is hardly the greatest suburb in the universe, but it's a considerable improvement on Acocks Green, which is where I lived before. And since I am living in a brand new flat with a plethora of fancy mod cons, I'm not complaining.

That is definitely something I will miss when I go home.

vash west brom is a real 'mecca' of a place best football team in the world,top people,great chippys and curry houses,etc

now acocks green mmmmmmmmmmmmhhhhhhhhhh

and rushall well your heading out more rural lol.....

some great pubs on west brom high street i'm there most fridays to see the reason why my house is up for sale i want to get the hell outta here...
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Bristol and they are fantastic about roads. We not only have roundabouts every 200 yards, but they ALSO put traffic lights on them !! Fantastic idea.
We also have speed ramps (every 50 yards) on every road which take your suspension out if you drive over then any faster than 5 mph one year, the next year they took them out and then the next year replaced them.
Best of all tho are the bicycle lanes - they go halfway up a road then stop and swop to the other side - so, if you cycle, are you supposed to go with the traffic halfway, then got off, cross the road, and cycle against the traffic for the other half or do you just have to walk ?! :scared:
Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

reds is an unknown quantity at this point

what kind of job do u do i am a chippy
...and 12 months since I posted.

So, 2 reasons to emigrate here:
1. The climate*
2. A big ass house**
*It's DAMN cold in winter - no insulaton, no double glazing, no central heating. Whatever temp's outside is inside. A pokey gas fire or wood burner don't make for a toasty home. It's taken 10 grand on reverse cycle to sort that one out.
**At least 30 mins from the city, twice the mortgage, 2/3rd the salaries. Rats. Fell for that one.

OK, life review time. For those of you in a similar situation, think long, think hard, don't knock the 'whingers' who've posted on here. It's hard. Harder than you think. And far less rewarding.

To be succinct, if you have a fairly nice life in the UK, stick with it. If you have a tolerable job, a mortgage you can (just about) afford, a foreign holiday most years, friends you get on with, and a family you can put up with...that's all you'll ever need. If you're feeling itchy, a little bored, a little adventurous, but have all this and yearn for more – the sad news is you'll get far less Down Under.

People? OK, so the shop assistants are FAR friendlier, when the shops are open, which is not often enough when you're working longer hours for less pay. Talking of which..

Work? And while you're at work, you won't be making great friends, one of our hopes/expectations. The webcam and phone remain our saviour. Or was that about people?

Traffic? Oh you'll still get that, it's great fun sitting at endless sets of lights wishing they knew what a roundabout was here.

Sunshine? Plenty of that, and the colours are splendid, I'll give Perth that much, no complaints there.

Shopping? Well, when you can manage it, there's less than half the choice for much more moolah (cost vs earnings, there's that work thing again), be it clothes, furniture, cars, whatever. Oh, except food, which is superb, but equivalent prices.

Holiday? No, you don't live on holiday, basking in the sun in your own pool (it's easier to maintain a dreary garden than a pool you hardly ever use), cos it's dark by the time you get home from work, and damn cold more often than you think of an evening. And try holidaying abroad, which costs an absolute fortune from the savings you just blew on the big ass house miles from the city, that's where the feelings of being stuck begin..

Life? Erm, hardly buzzing. The sleepy burbs are safe, pleasant and, well, that's it. And don't forget if you want a drink, that 30 mins into the city to actually find a crowd costs a $30 taxi to get back after the (occasional) trains and buses have finished for the night.

Restaurants? Fab, fab and fab. Shame the expendible income doesn't allow more of this,there's that work thing again.But it's hard to find a bad wine, and there's enough English, Belgian, German, Aussie beer here for anyone. Being pleasantly pissed is not difficult, and the atmos is a lot less aggressive than any rough arse northern town UK (ah dearest home).

So in all, this sounds like a huge downer, but you should hear the one coming from our friends in NZ. Well, it is, sort of. However, no regrets (apart from the lost money, but hey, you only live once), but we enjoyed holidaying then travelling extensively here FAR MORE than living here this past 18 months. But it's made us really appreciate what's important in life, not to mention given myself in particular a far healthier attitude towards the country I wanted to get out of.

Will we return to 'crap' olde Englande? Without a doubt. When we can afford it. And after we've given it at least another 12 months – let you know then.

Enjoy your adventure, and don't ever not do it, if that makes any sense. At the very least, we got rid of the 'what if's'..
Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:49 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

1. The climate*
2. A big ass house**
*It's DAMN cold in winter - no insulaton, no double glazing, no central heating. Whatever temp's outside is inside. A pokey gas fire or wood burner don't make for a toasty home. It's taken 10 grand on reverse cycle to sort that one out.
**At least 30 mins from the city, twice the mortgage, 2/3rd the salaries. Rats. Fell for that one.

OK, life review time. For those of you in a similar situation, think long, think hard, don't knock the 'whingers' who've posted on here. It's hard. Harder than you think. And far less rewarding.

To be succinct, if you have a fairly nice life in the UK, stick with it. If you have a tolerable job, a mortgage you can (just about) afford, a foreign holiday most years, friends you get on with, and a family you can put up with...that's all you'll ever need. If you're feeling itchy, a little bored, a little adventurous, but have all this and yearn for more – the sad news is you'll get far less Down Under.

People? OK, so the shop assistants are FAR friendlier, when the shops are open, which is not often enough when you're working longer hours for less pay. Talking of which..

Work? And while you're at work, you won't be making great friends, one of our hopes/expectations. The webcam and phone remain our saviour. Or was that about people?

Traffic? Oh you'll still get that, it's great fun sitting at endless sets of lights wishing they knew what a roundabout was here.

Sunshine? Plenty of that, and the colours are splendid, I'll give Perth that much, no complaints there.

Shopping? Well, when you can manage it, there's less than half the choice for much more moolah (cost vs earnings, there's that work thing again), be it clothes, furniture, cars, whatever. Oh, except food, which is superb, but equivalent prices.

Holiday? No, you don't live on holiday, basking in the sun in your own pool (it's easier to maintain a dreary garden than a pool you hardly ever use), cos it's dark by the time you get home from work, and damn cold more often than you think of an evening. And try holidaying abroad, which costs an absolute fortune from the savings you just blew on the big ass house miles from the city, that's where the feelings of being stuck begin..

Life? Erm, hardly buzzing. The sleepy burbs are safe, pleasant and, well, that's it. And don't forget if you want a drink, that 30 mins into the city to actually find a crowd costs a $30 taxi to get back after the (occasional) trains and buses have finished for the night.

Restaurants? Fab, fab and fab. Shame the expendible income doesn't allow more of this,there's that work thing again.But it's hard to find a bad wine, and there's enough English, Belgian, German, Aussie beer here for anyone. Being pleasantly pissed is not difficult, and the atmos is a lot less aggressive than any rough arse northern town UK (ah dearest home).

So in all, this sounds like a huge downer, but you should hear the one coming from our friends in NZ. Well, it is, sort of. However, no regrets (apart from the lost money, but hey, you only live once), but we enjoyed holidaying then travelling extensively here FAR MORE than living here this past 18 months. But it's made us really appreciate what's important in life, not to mention given myself in particular a far healthier attitude towards the country I wanted to get out of.

Will we return to 'crap' olde Englande? Without a doubt. When we can afford it. And after we've given it at least another 12 months – let you know then.

Enjoy your adventure, and don't ever not do it, if that makes any sense. At the very least, we got rid of the 'what if's'..
Thats a description of Perth not all of OZ, many things he described would be very different for people who immigrate to other parts of OZ, but also many things the same.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Jan 28th 2006 at 4:51 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:10 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Perth 18 months in...

I didn't want to see Perth through rose tinted specs, so spent a winter there with my family working. We've decided to emigrate if fortuitous with our current visa application.

The winters are nothing. The worst it gets is an extra cover at night and wheel out a couple of plug in radiators. I didn't own a coat the whole time there.

Like Vash, I'm not having a pop mate, but it does sound like you've made one or two decisions which have gone against you. But the thing that confuses me the most is your comment about not being able to afford to move back to England.

House prices have done nothing here in 2 years. By comparison, in Perth they've rocketed, one of my biggest regrets for not going sooner. So how on earth could you not afford to sell up and move back??
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

1. The climate*
2. A big ass house**

lovely honest post, many thanks X
Old Jan 28th 2006, 10:06 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by glittababe
lovely honest post, many thanks X
It was posted in August, wonder if they still feel the same now?
Old Jan 28th 2006, 10:12 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn

The winters are nothing. The worst it gets is an extra cover at night and wheel out a couple of plug in radiators. I didn't own a coat the whole time there.
Everyones different aren't they. I found the winters 'very' cold. Cold as in having to sit and watch tv on the sofa covered in a quilt from the bed. The plug in radiators we had only heated a small proportion of the large open plan houses.
I wore trackie bottoms and socks in bed I found it so cold 2 degrees outside in the winter (which is does drop to) with no heating as such, in a house with no insulation, to me is cold.
I also found it cold enough to definitely need a coat, and the shops sell gloves, hats and scarves for the winter. We laughed when we saw them on sale....at first...before we realised just how cold it feels after temps of 38+
Old Jan 28th 2006, 11:01 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

1. The climate*
2. A big ass house**

Thanks for an interesting post (even though it was 6 months ago )

I suppose everyone has different experiences, as everyone is different.

Hope it has improved

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Jan 28th 2006 at 11:11 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 11:05 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Thats a description of Perth not all of OZ, many things he described would be very different for people who immigrate to other parts of OZ, but also many things the same.
That's not a description of Perth really....it's someone's opinion of what Perth is like for them....

Many of the things would be different for other people, as they have their own opinions, based on their experiences and personalities

Can't understand why this thread has been dragged back up anyway

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Jan 28th 2006 at 11:11 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 1:25 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

1. The climate*

The climate was really low down my list of reasons to come to Aus but must admit winter is damm cold even if it is 15°, if you have aclimatised it feels like the artic!
2. A big ass house**

Got to agree there houses are not made for cold at all, my wood burner does help, but I dream of double glazing, not only for the heat aspect but to blot out the noise outside.

Yep 45mins to work, 100k round trip, a mortgage we could of only dreamed of in the Uk, they couldn't have given us the amount we have now. Wages, well we where never well paid in the Uk so we seem to be better off, we have our own business now as well which helps.
Think WA have just realised what a roundabout is, see them springing up all over the place.

Shopping well we probably spend more here, and that is because you don't get the own brand deals to the extent of the UK, home brand beans I think are 75c or thereabouts, certainly not the 9p at asda. Why can't they lift up an asda and shove it in Osbourne Park?
Even the bananas are $2.99 at Woolworths at the mo, and peaches well think I will grow my own they are something along the lines of $7 a kilo!
Some things are incredibly expensive, some are cheaper such as meat which is great.

Holidays well I am still living mine 18months on, we are still finding new things to do in and around Perth and having fun doing them. We tend to wait until we have visitors though so we can all do something new together.

Rarely go out for a drink together anymore, because we are so far out it would cost a fortune in a taxi to get home, one of us always ends up driving.

Eating out is wonderful, some incredibly cheap, other for example Jetty's in Hillarys at $37.95 made me gasp a little but was really nice. Much happier paying around the $20 price and there are plenty of places which are around that cost.

Aus has loads of good points and yes if you where a high wage earner in the UK you may find a huge drop in wages coming here but we found the ability to pay off all our debts, start afresh and do it in another country so much easier to do, we could never have done it in the UK without selling our house at the time and moving into a 2up 2 down in the North end of Birkenhead, because that would have been all we could have afforded, and lets face it who in their right mind would do such a thing knowing the areas around them.

So Aus does have its ups and downs, it all depends on why you came here as to how many you may have. Its still a wonderful place to live though, don't know what my old age will bring over here but can't be anyworse than the state pension in the UK!
Enjoy your adventure, and don't ever not do it, if that makes any sense. At the very least, we got rid of the 'what if's'..[/QUOTE]

Hope this gives another insight into the wonderful world of migration.
Jenny
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:57 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

If you're coming from the Caribbean, you might find Perth a little cold in the early mornings and evenings in the middle of winter. If you're coming from the U.K. you won't believe all the wonderful things you can do outside, without wrapping up and still getting frozen for four months of the year.

Of course the houses feel cold in winter, but only because the temperature inside is often that of the outside. They're designed to keep the heat out.

So my advice would be to make sure you have adequate heating. And by that I don't mean a boiler powering radiators to every room in the house!!

The only other thing I'd say to people thinking of Perth (or Oz in general) is seriously look at the reasons you're migrating. If it's a big house you want - fine, mortgage yourself up.

We want a lower mortgage, and less pressures on having to bring in as much money. This way, you can enjoy your new environment so much more, and get the best it has to offer.

I used to pick an orange on the way to the bus stop every morning in August. That's Feb to Blighty's winter. Most trees are ever green and there's always something flowering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.