Personal Leave?

Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Personal Leave?

Just checked with HR and I have accrued 5 weeks of Annual leave and 3 weeks of Personal Leave - which amazed me as I *have* had the odd week here and there. It's partly because management have failed to record time off eg birth of my 2nd daughter they keep doing this!

Can someone tell me what Personal Leave is, I'm left a bit confused on this one. I can't see how it works much different to Annual leave- only apparently you have to ''ask'' for it...yet you can accrue it and seemingly therefore can carry it for a while.

I asked for a day on Monday and got it. I'm going to make sure they record this one, too.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:45 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Personal Leave?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Just checked with HR and I have accrued 5 weeks of Annual leave and 3 weeks of Personal Leave - which amazed me as I *have* had the odd week here and there. It's partly because management have failed to record time off eg birth of my 2nd daughter they keep doing this!

Can someone tell me what Personal Leave is, I'm left a bit confused on this one. I can't see how it works much different to Annual leave- only apparently you have to ''ask'' for it...yet you can accrue it and seemingly therefore can carry it for a while.

I asked for a day on Monday and got it. I'm going to make sure they record this one, too.
is personal leave not like...taking time off to look after the kids...and sick days etc
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:53 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Personal leave is normally something your company provides besides holiday leave. It's time given off for things like family sick, hospital appointments, emergencies etc, etc..

I don't think it's compulsory that companies provide this and each company will have different amounts of time they allow staff to take off and different reasons. You need to speak to your HR people and ask them how many days they allow each year for personal leave, what the reasons are for personal leave - and if this is accrued each year.

Are you sure it's not personal leave and absence leave that's been accrued due to you never having taken time off so it's been accrued?

The best place to start is HR. They should be able to tell you their HR policy on personal leave. In the meantime, get a beer and enjoy the time off you jammy buggar
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
is personal leave not like...taking time off to look after the kids...and sick days etc
This is in addition to the sick days I get.

I've been told I can use it to care for a loved one etc. So now I plan to take holiday, claiming one of my daughters is crook. Well - I'll obviously eke it out a bit.

It seems like a sort of discretionary leave, yet nonetheless an entitlement as I get 10 a year, and, can accrue it.

Just thought someone might be able to shed more light.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Personal leave is normally something your company provides besides holiday leave. It's time given off for things like family sick, hospital appointments, emergencies etc, etc..

I don't think it's compulsory that companies provide this and each company will have different amounts of time they allow staff to take off and different reasons. You need to speak to your HR people and ask them how many days they allow each year for personal leave, what the reasons are for personal leave - and if this is accrued each year.

Are you sure it's not personal leave and absence leave that's been accrued due to you never having taken time off so it's been accrued?

The best place to start is HR. They should be able to tell you their HR policy on personal leave. In the meantime, get a beer and enjoy the time off you jammy buggar
My annual leave is counted seperately - it's listed on their 'computer' like I say 5 weeks accrued, and now 3 weeks Personal - I've never taken personal leave - well until Monday. I don't really want to badger HR(!)
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

I thought it was the law here now that all companies had to give you 10 days personal leave. Is that not true ?
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:45 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Law that you get 10 days sick a year that accures. You can also take 5 days of this for personal leave for caring for sick relatives.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

sprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nice
Smile Re: Personal Leave?

This is really usefull info - I would assume that any time off for looking after sick kids is unpaid - Thanks BE - you sure find out usefull info on this site
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You may find that if you take personal leave to look after a "sick" child you may need a doctor's certificate if you are off for more than 3 consecutive days. It is like sick leave but for family reasons and so there will probably be a limit to the number of consecutive days without some sort of justification. It isnt annual leave which is yours by rights. If you were to quit tomorrow your personal leave entitlements would just disappear but your annual leave entitlements would be paid to you in $$
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

So if your contract states less than 10 days sick leave you can question this ? Is there somewhere (government website etc) I can quote for this ?

Originally Posted by Sandra
Law that you get 10 days sick a year that accures. You can also take 5 days of this for personal leave for caring for sick relatives.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:04 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Personal leave is normally something your company provides besides holiday leave.
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
My annual leave is counted seperately - it's listed on their 'computer' like I say 5 weeks accrued, and now 3 weeks Personal - I've never taken personal leave - well until Monday. I don't really want to badger HR(!)
I did mention above that personal leave is something some companies provide besides holiday leave

If you've never taken personal leave, this could be why you've accrued it?

To clarify - this is how some companies provide annual leave in total

Per year
20 days holiday
10 days sick leave
5 days personal leave
10 days paternity leave

If say, you don't take the personal leave, sometimes this is accrued and carried fwd to the next year, and the year after that etc, etc. It's basically to discourage people taking off their *entitlement* so staff can carry it fwd and accrue it.

The above is a good guess, really you need to ask HR what the company policy is. That's what HR are paid to do i.e clarify policy.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Most Government organisations have this as well, under the term Carers leave. It's in addition to sick leave and you need to supply a statutory declaration to take it. Only 5 days non Accruing at Post though. Just checked the wifes. State Government medical employees, are able to take it as part of sick leave, so in their case it accrues, but has to come off of their sick leave, once again you need a Statutory Declaration.

Confusing isn't it
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniee
So if your contract states less than 10 days sick leave you can question this ? Is there somewhere (government website etc) I can quote for this ?

If your a contract employee, IE: Casual, then your rate of pay is higher, which is supposed to compensate for lack of sick pay.

This is why most people prefer, to be Permanent part time (which means they are entitled to sick pay and holidays and other benefits) rather than casual, where all the add ons are taken away and returned as hourly pay.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:41 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra

Actually I am slightly wrong (teach me to type a note quickly and not think) - the whole entitlement to sick is now called personal/carer's leave and all is cumulative.

Good link here.

https://www.workchoices.gov.au/ourpl...arersleave.htm

not cashable unless you have a different agreement in place. The 10 days above is the minimum a job can offer. But being honest some companies can be difficult when you try and take it. You need to see how flexible your company are on applying it. Husbands work would not allow him to take paid carer's leave when flying back and see his dying father as he was not the main carer's which is fair. But he can take time if me or the kids are sick (they hate it though and he has used it rarely).

Ten days is more than enough sick leave for me in the past five years but now I have changed companies and started accuring again I will need to think about saving up to take time off for a hysterectomy which 10 days may not cover very well.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Never never claim sickness of a family member. In my experience sod's law comes into effect and the said person becomes violently ill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.