Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Personal import of a car into Australia

Personal import of a car into Australia

Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:45 am
Just Joined

kaishang is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Personal import of a car into Australia

I'm an Australian citizen and living in the UK at the moment.

I'd like to hear of any info from forum members who have imported a vehicle from the UK to Australia as a personal import, ie a vehicle which they have owned and used for over 12 months in the UK.

Specifically:

- My undestanding is that if you have owned the vehicle for over 12 months, are genuinely moving to Australia then you DO NOT need to pay import duty, GST or Luxury Car Tax.

Since cars can cost as little as half as much in the of the Australian cost in the UK, I'm thinking about buying something expensive in the UK, driving it around for a year and importing it to Australia when I move back in 1-2 years time.

Any advice from people who have done a vehicle import, would be appreciated. I'm thinking of something like a new BMW 530d or 1-2 year old Maserati which sell for about GBP45,000 in the UK but would cost over $140,000 in Australia.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:55 am
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all
Default Re: Personal import of a car into Australia

Originally Posted by kaishang

I'd like to hear of any info from forum members who have imported a vehicle from the UK to Australia as a personal import, ie a vehicle which they have owned and used for over 12 months in the UK.

Specifically:

- My undestanding is that if you have owned the vehicle for over 12 months, are genuinely moving to Australia then you DO NOT need to pay import duty, GST or Luxury Car Tax.

Since cars can cost as little as half as much in the of the Australian cost in the UK, I'm thinking about buying something expensive in the UK, driving it around for a year and importing it to Australia when I move back in 1-2 years time.

Any advice from people who have done a vehicle import, would be appreciated. I'm thinking of something like a new BMW 530d or 1-2 year old Maserati which sell for about GBP45,000 in the UK but would cost over $140,000 in Australia.
Unless it's different for an Aus citizen then I'm afraid you will need to pay all the taxes you mention including the Luxury car tax for the beasts you are talking about!
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Personal import of a car into Australia

Specifically:

I recommend you contact forum member "BigApe" who imported an Audi TT a couple of years ago.

BB
Old Aug 17th 2010, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

I'm in the same situation .. Aus citizen etc.

Check this thread on PH.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...... Hopefully!

I'd suggest a Porsche/Ferrari over a BMW. The markup you'll make will be higher (and the car will be a lot more fun).

I looked into it, but can't be bothered with the paperwork for a 4x4 or a Merc. We'll sell them and get something better suited to Aus once we get there.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:39 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

UK imports have a lot less resale value in Australia.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I imported a Jeep Grand Cherokee I owned. It was only worth doing because I couldn't sell it at almost any price in the UK due to it being a 4 litre "gas guzzler". I still had to pay all the taxes, insurance, compliance fees etc. And the idiots left the lights on when they put it in the container so I needed a new battery as well. I think if you are looking at doing it as a way of making some extra cash you might be disappointed.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:26 am
Just Joined

mooshk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there. i'm importing my 2007 BMW 325 Coupe right now- give me three weeks and you'll get an up to date response on this!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Weebie
Depends on the car.

The car I was to import was a Japanese import to the UK (my third JDM import). It wasn't available anywhere else, and commands a premium compared to the Oz equivalent.

I'd personally go for a TVR. Something with performance, but easy servicing. It'll prob double your money.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 9:59 am
Just Joined

I'm sure they do have less resale value - but the car in question costs over $100,000 in Oz vs err about 1/3 less in UK so I can eat a lower reasale value compared to an Oz model imported the normal way through a distributor. The purpose of the import isn't to make money on a resale - it is to have the use of the car in the next year in the UK and have the use of a car which is otherwise prohibitively expensive in Australia afterwards.

Ok I've checked it out.

Roadworthy - in WA no problem, no strange Aus design rules, speedometer with miles as the major scale and km/h in a smaller scale is OK.

Customs - need to pay GST + 5% tarriff on customs value + luxury car tax if customs value over about $57k. However customs value is well under the Australian used street price, so it would have to be a very expensive car to start with to attract LCT.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure they do have less resale value - but the car in question costs over $100,000 in Oz vs err about 1/3 less in UK so I can eat a lower reasale value compared to an Oz model imported the normal way through a distributor. The purpose of the import isn't to make money on a resale - it is to have the use of the car in the next year in the UK and have the use of a car which is otherwise prohibitively expensive in Australia afterwards.

Ok I've checked it out.

Roadworthy - in WA no problem, no strange Aus design rules, speedometer with miles as the major scale and km/h in a smaller scale is OK.

Customs - need to pay GST + 5% tarriff on customs value + luxury car tax if customs value over about $57k. However customs value is well under the Australian used street price, so it would have to be a very expensive car to start with to attract LCT.
Yes that's about right. It will also need Ozzie child seat anchor points installed apparently.

Good luck. We're shipping ours over.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:32 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Import cars are worthless.

Who here remembers 5 years ago when Porsche LHD Jap imports were being imported. These cars which had Australian resale values of 50-60k couldn't sell in WA for under 10.

The books are eveything here and if you have UK or overseas books expect a massive drop in value.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:45 am
Just Joined

LHD Japanese import? Why would a Japanese car be LHD? If it really was left-hand-drive I'm not suprised nobody would buy them.

Who here remembers 5 years ago when Porsche LHD Jap imports were being imported. These cars which had Australian resale values of 50-60k couldn't sell in WA for under 10.

The books are eveything here and if you have UK or overseas books expect a massive drop in value.
About the child restraints. New European cars have ISOFIX child restraints. These are acceptable to licencing, at least in Western Australia.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

As you said before. And as I said before, it depends on the car.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

LHD Japanese import? Why would a Japanese car be LHD? If it really was left-hand-drive I'm not suprised nobody would buy them.

About the child restraints. New European cars have ISOFIX child restraints. These are acceptable to licencing, at least in Western Australia.

Cool I have ISOFIX in my car.

EDIT:

Apparently not legal in Aus. Oh well.

Last edited by Alfresco; Aug 19th 2010 at 11:54 am.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

What type of car are you shipping, Alfresco?

ISOFIX were specifically mentioned by WA Licencing as being OK when we talked about child restraints.

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Cool I have ISOFIX in my car.

EDIT:

Apparently not legal in Aus. Oh well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.