Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Permanent Visa Processing Times - London

Permanent Visa Processing Times - London

Old Nov 13th 2002, 6:45 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Permanent Visa Processing Times - London

Indicative processing times for permanent visas granted through the London High Commission in the 6 months to the 31st of August 2002 are available on the Go Matilda website:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=239

Please bear in mind that these are only a rough guide ...

Happy to provide the stats for other posts if you name your visa sub-class and offshore post ...

Hopefully of interest to some.
Old Nov 13th 2002, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Permanent Visa Processing Times - London

Alan,

Thanks for this. We all need facts rather than speculation.

Using this, London approved around 1500 to 1900 Skilled Independant Visa's in the last 12 months, so based on this the outstanding 1200 (now sent to Adelaide) would have taken a further 8 months, asssuming the same speed was maintained. So mine being Sept 01 would be granted somewhere around April 2003 time. 20 months exactly (spooky)...
Their average given is 80 weeks, on my reckoning 19 months...

Come on Adelaide, you can do better than that...

Keep the information flowing,
Thanks
Mash..

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Indicative processing times for permanent visas granted through the London High Commission in the 6 months to the 31st of August 2002 are available on the Go Matilda website:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=239

Please bear in mind that these are only a rough guide ...

Happy to provide the stats for other posts if you name your visa sub-class and offshore post ...

Hopefully of interest to some.
Old Nov 13th 2002, 10:48 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Mash,

Just a quick comment in reply: don't forget that London was granted an extra allocation of skilled visas in the weeks leading up to the end of the end of the 2001/02 program year, which might distort the stats for the 6 months to the end of August 2002.

Best regards.

Originally posted by mashiraz
Alan,

Thanks for this. We all need facts rather than speculation.

Using this, London approved around 1500 to 1900 Skilled Independant Visa's in the last 12 months, so based on this the outstanding 1200 (now sent to Adelaide) would have taken a further 8 months, asssuming the same speed was maintained. So mine being Sept 01 would be granted somewhere around April 2003 time. 20 months exactly (spooky)...
Their average given is 80 weeks, on my reckoning 19 months...

Come on Adelaide, you can do better than that...

Keep the information flowing,
Thanks
Mash..
Old Nov 13th 2002, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

So you're telling me it would have been even longer than April 2003....now I'm suicidal!!!

What's the best time to ring Adelaide, do they have counter hours like London?

Cheers Alan..

Mash,

Just a quick comment in reply: don't forget that London was granted an extra allocation of skilled visas in the weeks leading up to the end of the end of the 2001/02 program year, which might distort the stats for the 6 months to the end of August 2002.

Best regards.
Old Nov 13th 2002, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Also Alan, does this mean London timings were constrained by their allocation allowance rather than their capability to process them. If they can 'suddenly' grant and extra 300 at a whim at year end?

Are Adelaide constrained along the same lines and therefore the processing time is irelevant..
Mash..

Mash,

Best regards.
Old Nov 13th 2002, 11:00 am
Migration Agent

Whoah, try not to get too worked up ... I don't want to be responsible for your demise ... :-))

Adelaide is UK time +10.5 hours, so I'd be trying them at 9am local time = 10.30pm UK time.

Best regards.

So you're telling me it would have been even longer than April 2003....now I'm suicidal!!!

What's the best time to ring Adelaide, do they have counter hours like London?

Cheers Alan..
Old Nov 13th 2002, 11:12 am
Migration Agent

Well they have an allocation to work within - bear in mind that the Skilled Program has an expected outcome announced by the Minister before the start of each Program Year. With skilled processing carried out at all the overseas posts this total has been carved up between the various posts - with variable and inequitable results between the various posts.

By way of an example, here are the stats for the processing time of 75% of 136-visas in the 6 months to 31/08/2002 between a selection of posts:

London - 80 weeks (950 visas)
Beijing - 81 weeks (7 visas)
Hong Kong - 62 weeks (388 visas - the next highest after London)
Los Angeles - 42 weeks (58 visas)
Mumbai - 65 weeks (246 visas)
Paris - 81 weeks (28 visas)

Worldwide - average of 64 weeks (6,606 visas)

One aim of bringing all applications onshore is to even out the differences between posts, which in my view is more equitable at the end of the day.

Best regards.

Also Alan, does this mean London timings were constrained by their allocation allowance rather than their capability to process them. If they can 'suddenly' grant and extra 300 at a whim at year end?

Are Adelaide constrained along the same lines and therefore the processing time is irelevant..
Mash..
Old Nov 13th 2002, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

I agree it should only improve what is an appalling situation and an example of incredibly poor customer focus and quality of service.

I cling to the hope that being shifted to adelaide will only be an improvement to this situation. The fact that London are still opening September's post is shocking. If I were to send them a Christmas card they wouldn't open it until March. I should try that with my bills and see whether they find it acceptable - 'Sorry I haven't opened the last few months post yet' - I think not!!

My husband and I have decided we cannot go on holding off plans, we've been planning this for 4 years and every decision has been made with this plan in mind. Yes, I am still desperate to move to Australia, and will be jubilant when the visa arrives, but I have to go on with my life in the meantime. Unfortnately this may mean that we're not ready to up and leave at their convenience. It will be at ours..

Off my soap box now...
Mash...

One aim of bringing all applications onshore is to even out the differences between posts, which in my view is more equitable at the end of the day.

Best regards.

Last edited by mashiraz; Nov 13th 2002 at 11:51 am.