Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Permanent residency from a student visa...

Permanent residency from a student visa...

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:22 pm

Nat12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent residency from a student visa...

Does anyone have any idea on how long approx the current processing times are for this...
I have done a search but cant find what I am looking for, can anyone help at all
Thankyou so much xxx
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent residency from a student visa...

Originally Posted by Nat12
Does anyone have any idea on how long approx the current processing times are for this...
I have done a search but cant find what I am looking for, can anyone help at all
Thankyou so much xxx
hi nat - i'm guessing you mean after you've finished your studies? If so, then it would depend on what you have been studying, - something on the Critical Skills List? - if it's not on the CSL then we were told it could take up to 2 years (or more?! who knows?) for PR to issue! I studied hairdressing and we just submitted our PR application last month. Have a look at this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621275 for a few of us following this route
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I have been told 2 years minimum and anything up to 5 years
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou so much xxx
Nobody has any real idea of how long. It could be next week or it could be 5 years. Really, there are far too many variables for any kind of guess.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:32 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Are you applying during or after your studies?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:54 pm

Hi there and thanks to all for replying.
My husband is one who is studying and he is doing bricklaying and bricklaying/building is on the Critical skills list I believe.
He finishes his course at the end of this year and then we are hoping to apply.
I just wondered if there was any way I could find out any indication on how long it will take but obviously not lol!
I was hoping 6 months max but maybe not then!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

My husband is one who is studying and he is doing bricklaying and bricklaying/building is on the Critical skills list I believe.
I just wondered if there was any way I could find out any indication on how long it will take but obviously not lol!
Hi Nat,

Please remember he will need to also complete 2 years of study before you are elidgible to apply for PR. . .

Cheers
Mandy
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

binnz10 will become famous soon enoughbinnz10 will become famous soon enough

We applied July 2008 and still waiting ..........
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Please check the critical skills list as many of the trades were removed in March this year.

Apparently students applying for PR are at the bottom of the list when it comes to visas but from what I can gather once your application is in and you have passed TRA etc your husband can then work full time (but your hours are still restricted to 20 hours).
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Please check the critical skills list as many of the trades were removed in March this year.

Apparently students applying for PR are at the bottom of the list when it comes to visas but from what I can gather once your application is in and you have passed TRA etc your husband can then work full time (but your hours are still restricted to 20 hours).
I've heard that the only chance of a visa at the moment is pretty much either if you have a job in your industry or employer sponsor. . . .

Cheers
Mandy
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:48 am

Thanks again, Mandy - I have said time and time again to MIL about this 2 year study requirement but she wont have any of it lol.

Well things are not looking good now anyway it seems that after our struggle this year that my husbands family will no longer be able to help us (as they have paid for course fees so far and were going to pay for our PR as they wanted us over here so we went for it) then we were to pay them back once we all got PR but now they are saying they can no longer afford to help so we may have to go home
I just really cant take anymore of all this stress and if I could turn back time I wouldnt have done it this way at all.

Sorry for the moan thanks for reading and replying everyone
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again, Mandy - I have said time and time again to MIL about this 2 year study requirement but she wont have any of it lol.

Well things are not looking good now anyway it seems that after our struggle this year that my husbands family will no longer be able to help us (as they have paid for course fees so far and were going to pay for our PR as they wanted us over here so we went for it) then we were to pay them back once we all got PR but now they are saying they can no longer afford to help so we may have to go home
I just really cant take anymore of all this stress and if I could turn back time I wouldnt have done it this way at all.

Sorry for the moan thanks for reading and replying everyone
Oh dear Nat,

really sorry it's been such a stressful journey for you. . .fingers crossed it all works out the way you want it too!! Here's my suggestion if you do want to stay. . . once your hubbie has finished his course, am i right in thinking he would have his cert 3?

As he will not have studied here for 2 years, the only visa that he would be able to apply for is an employer sponsored visa. If he is already working as a brickie, maybe they would sponsor him?

Cheers, and good luck!!
Mandy
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

oooh no that is a shame. I hope you manage to sort something out. Mandy's advice sounds good.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:49 am

Yes he will have completed his cert 3.
Still dont know what we are doing yet I guess unless we win Tatts lotto maybe we wil go home lol and look at applying from the uk I dont know..???

Thanks for advice xx