Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perm res - can I come back into aus with less than six months valid on my passport?

Perm res - can I come back into aus with less than six months valid on my passport?

Old Dec 20th 2005, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Hafan is on a distinguished road
Default Perm res - can I come back into aus with less than six months valid on my passport?

Hello
I am a PR and have to go abroad for a couple of weeks (to visit a sick friend) but have less than six months on my UK passport. The country I am travelling to does not have problem with this but am I going to have problems getting back into Australia? (When I get back it will have about a month left) Don't really want to renew my UK passport as should be able to apply for citizenship and get a Aus one in a few months time. I can't put off this trip till I get the Aus one - Has anyone else tried to come back into australia with a passport which is valid for less than six months?

Thanks
Hafan..
Old Dec 20th 2005, 4:51 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Perm res - can I come back into aus with less than six months valid on my passport?

Originally Posted by Hafan
Hello
I am a PR and have to go abroad for a couple of weeks (to visit a sick friend) but have less than six months on my UK passport. The country I am travelling to does not have problem with this but am I going to have problems getting back into Australia? (When I get back it will have about a month left) Don't really want to renew my UK passport as should be able to apply for citizenship and get a Aus one in a few months time. I can't put off this trip till I get the Aus one - Has anyone else tried to come back into australia with a passport which is valid for less than six months?

Thanks
Hafan..
Regardless of whether you can re-enter or not I would renew your UK passport. Under your plans you won't have any passport at all until you get Ozzie citizenship and what would happen if you had to go abroad urgently for another reason eg another sick friend?

Also the UK passport is much better than the Ozzie one worldwide for entry to many countries so I would recommend you keep both current all the time.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 20th 2005, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Perm res - can I come back into aus with less than six months valid on my passport?

Originally Posted by Hafan
Hello

Thanks
Hafan..
If its still valid on the day you arrive then it should be no problem. The expiry date is not an approximate date. I think they say 6 months validity as a guide incase you are taken into hospital for a few months while on holiday, you dont want to be stuck in a foreign hospital and not be able to return home.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 8:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perm res - can I come back into aus with less than six months valid on my passport?

Originally Posted by CreditCardKing
If its still valid on the day you arrive then it should be no problem.
The expiry date is not an approximate date. I think they say 6 months validity as a guide incase you are taken into hospital for a few months while on holiday, you dont want to be stuck in a foreign hospital and not be able to return home.

Australia does not have a '6 month rule' regarding passport validity for returning resident.

A valid passport plus re-entry visa will do. However many other countries do have a rule like this and will refuse entry if you have less than 6 months on your passport. Including some Far East nations.

As far as validity of your re-entry visa is concerned, there is no flexibility at all. Same goes for passport expiry date.

Jeremy