Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On the perils of house-hunting too soon ...

On the perils of house-hunting too soon ...

Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:39 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default On the perils of house-hunting too soon ...

As you may or may not know, we fly out to Oz every year for a month or two to enjoy the summer here and see family and stuff. We move permanently later this year (feels weird saying that - bet I still write 2005 on the next cheque I pay in) and so have been doing a bit of house-hunting - nothing serious - just scoping out areas. Only today on one of our little tours we find this brilliant house, four beds, double garage, nice big front garden (nowt at the rear), a movie screening room!!!, in our town of choice, 450 metres from one of the best surfing beaches in the area - and with the appropriate bit of haggling, well within our price range. Trouble is, our house in the UK isn't even on the market yet, and whilst we're optimistic (house prices have remained very bouyant round our neck of the woods), we have no idea how long it'll take to sell. So, all things being equal we're all a bit gutted and wish we'd never started poking around, because it's bound to have sold long before we get back here permanently. So... all you folks idly prodding realestate.com.au - put down the mouse now - you've already got too much to worry about.

Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:42 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On the perils of house-hunting too soon ...

Originally Posted by Hutch
As you may or may not know, we fly out to Oz every year for a month or two to enjoy the summer here and see family and stuff. We move permanently later this year (feels weird saying that - bet I still write 2005 on the next cheque I pay in) and so have been doing a bit of house-hunting - nothing serious - just scoping out areas. Only today on one of our little tours we find this brilliant house, four beds, double garage, nice big front garden (nowt at the rear), a movie screening room!!!, in our town of choice, 450 metres from one of the best surfing beaches in the area - and with the appropriate bit of haggling, well within our price range. Trouble is, our house in the UK isn't even on the market yet, and whilst we're optimistic (house prices have remained very bouyant round our neck of the woods), we have no idea how long it'll take to sell. So, all things being equal we're all a bit gutted and wish we'd never started poking around, because it's bound to have sold long before we get back here permanently. So... all you folks idly prodding realestate.com.au - put down the mouse now - you've already got too much to worry about.

I know just how you feel
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you. My wife arrived 5 weeks ago & started looking at houses as soon as she arrived for something to do. Within 2 weeks she had found the house of her dreams so we bought it! Now I have to find a way to break the lease on the place we are renting - which is going to be a pain.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:50 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

We're in the same boat.

Pro's... We saw brill house last week would have been just what we wanted 9 acres, view to die for, good condition, only 2 years old, in the price range, under contract but with sun set clause so we could gazump and present offerers have house to sell and we all loved it.

Con's... My hubbies hasn't started his job yet as the firm is still argueing terms with the other firm they will do work for.
He will have probation period to work probably 3 months.
I have a probation period 6 months in my contract but HSBC will shorten if I can get letter of continued employment in my trade.
The house will be sold by our life is sorted out.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:52 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I hear you. My wife arrived 5 weeks ago & started looking at houses as soon as she arrived for something to do. Within 2 weeks she had found the house of her dreams so we bought it! Now I have to find a way to break the lease on the place we are renting - which is going to be a pain.
You usually have the option of finding new tenants to replace you your self then you don't break the lease as such and don't get stung for so much. So why not put post on here for someone just landing to take the lease on??? We have that option in our contract and were openly told about it at our signing session for rental.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:10 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I envy those of you who have managed to get a home in a few weeks! we have been here now 15 months and are still looking. There is a hell of a lot of rubbish on the market around here at ridiculous prices but nothing suitable yet.

It seems to be standard practice to put a house on the market at shall we say "testing" valuations and then, after a month or two take a few hundred thousand off the price and see what happens. You then get the situation where it appears in half a dozen agent's ads with prices $200K different!

Certainly a learning experience........
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:50 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
I envy those of you who have managed to get a home in a few weeks! we have been here now 15 months and are still looking. There is a hell of a lot of rubbish on the market around here at ridiculous prices but nothing suitable yet.

It seems to be standard practice to put a house on the market at shall we say "testing" valuations and then, after a month or two take a few hundred thousand off the price and see what happens. You then get the situation where it appears in half a dozen agent's ads with prices $200K different!

Certainly a learning experience........
Robertson in your neck of the woods?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the same position as we won't have the PR sorted until a few months time and then we should really wait a couple of years until I am earning to buy so that we aren't killing ourselves with a mortgage. We do not have the big pile of cash from a house sale in the UK so have to tread carefully. The problem is that we have lived in Belgium for over 3 years in rental and I would love to have our own house again so can't help but look. There are several houses in the area that we would love to live in and could afford, some before I am working, others would be a bit tight until I am earning.
It is difficult and we shall see whether we do wait the couple of years or not
Our main worry is whether house prices will continue to go up here and put houses out of our reach.
Nicky
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. You just end up worrying that you have missed the boat on the house prices, and that you will need millions when you arrive.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to wish you did not post that as I have just seen your dream house on Realestate.com and just had my offer accepted as it looked to good to be true. lol only joking.

Go for it and hope you sell in the u.k or forget the dream house and hope you find one just as good at a later date. Hmmmm..... I would go for the wait and forget it choice as it is too easy to fall in love with a new property as we have all done it but I believe in "what will be will be" and if you waited and tried to forget the dream house you may just find one even better!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:54 pm
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Rog on this unfortunately. Been here 9 months and can't find the one. Found a couple we like but all have been overpriced so we try negotiating which seems to spur them into thinking they can get more than the advertised price. So you may have found the one and you say with a bit of negotiation you can get a good price, however until you start talking about price don't believe anything........especially the agent. You never know your luck with the current market it may still be for sale when you move here, by the way, where is it I may be interested
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:51 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Robertson in your neck of the woods?
Fifteen minutes away: Burradoo!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:19 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Fifteen minutes away: Burradoo!
My big sister and her husband moved to Robertson about a year ago, after 15 years in Sydney. Very English looking up there, right down to heavy fogs and days of overcast skies and drizzle! They love it, mind you and whilst the landscape appeals to me, the UK-alike weather does not.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:47 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My big sister and her husband moved to Robertson about a year ago, after 15 years in Sydney. Very English looking up there, right down to heavy fogs and days of overcast skies and drizzle! They love it, mind you and whilst the landscape appeals to me, the UK-alike weather does not.
tThe Robertson microclimate is actually *very* different to the Bowral area, only 25km away. I couldn't live in Robertson - you can see how wet it is by the vegetation, moss etc. It's presumably to do with the escarpment and wind patterns. Bowral escaped most of the effects of the big drought ye driving up the hills only a few hundred feet showed parched and burnt grass and trees. Shows how important location is!