British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Perception of crime in Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/perception-crime-perth-501966/)

worzel Dec 30th 2007 9:11 am

Re: Perception of crime in Perth

Originally Posted by guest5234 (Post 5718775)
You really talk some rubbish....what do you mean "people will intervene here not like the UK" what a load of tosh....anyone in the UK would intervene if they saw someone pinching another persons stuff while that person was swimming or whatever....aussies are no better or no worse than brits, dont be so stupid.

Do I assume you are Sher Khan or one of the other trolls we get on here from time to time? I just looked at your posting history - you have been on here two weeks, no hellos or other common courtesies, several abusive posts, you are glad a guy has cancer, other posts are stirring s**t and you are jumping about on forums all over the world (not seen any on the antarctica forum yet, though).

Maybe I am wrong in which case you are just an arrogant w****r.:)

Georgina H Dec 30th 2007 9:54 am

Originally Posted by bstardo (Post 5713274)
Maybe some of the northeners who are so enfactuated with Uk should move to salford stalybridge, clifton, moss side, harpur hey, etc.

Where do you live in Manchester, just out of interest?

I don't think that it is fair to compare Stalybridge with places like Moss Side and Salford, given that it is considerably out of Manchester (in Cheshire actually) and if you are including areas that far out, why omit Ashton or Droylsden which are considerably worse?

I live in Stalybridge at the moment and have done for 5 years, before that I had always lived in Hyde (Gee Cross), in the time I have lived in Stalybridge I have never had a break in.

Also just look at the difference in house prices between Stalybridge and Salford, Moss Side etc, that speaks volumes. Moss Side and Salford have had years and years of crime with all the gangs in Manchester, Stalybridge is getting worse than it was but we are talking about two totally different animals here.

Rant over, for the record, I don't think anywhere in the Manchester area is ideal, which is why we are moving to Perth.:)

Hoggie Dec 30th 2007 9:55 am

Originally Posted by marcpiano (Post 5710684)
With yet another murder last night (and yet another serious assault in one of the nightclubs I was working) I'm interested to hear of ExPats perceptions of the crime rate in Perth?

Working security/nightclubs it's stayed pretty much constant in terms of low-level disorder since I started working in the industry, but the violent crime and murder rate has shot up in my perception even in the year and a half or so I've been back here.

Went back to the UK for a couple of weeks and my friends there still had the misconception of Perth being some sort of crime-free utopia and were quite taken aback when I told them the real story.

So interested to hear the views of those who live here now on the crime rate and how it's affected them, if at all. Also interested on hearing the views of those yet to move here but considering it.

If you take a look at who's committing the crimes, it doesn't take Einstein to work out why these incidents are increasing.

Hoggie Dec 30th 2007 10:05 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 5714063)
In the nearly 5 years we've been here we have had:

1. Wife's purse stolen at the kids school, Ocean Reef.
2. Wife's mobile stolen.
3. Both cars broken in to on our drive, Ocean Reef.
4. Wife witnessed a carjacking.
5. We witnessed our neighbours being beaten up, stabbed in an unprovoked attack, Ocean Reef.
6. Wife had a rock thrown at her car in Mullaloo.

I think the moral of this story is.......

......don't live in Ocean Reef. :)

Hoggie Dec 30th 2007 10:06 am

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 5718900)
Do I assume you are Sher Khan or one of the other trolls we get on here from time to time? I just looked at your posting history - you have been on here two weeks, no hellos or other common courtesies, several abusive posts, you are glad a guy has cancer, other posts are stirring s**t and you are jumping about on forums all over the world (not seen any on the antarctica forum yet, though).

Maybe I am wrong in which case you are just an arrogant w****r.:)

here, here. Don't rise to it Worzel.

renth Jan 1st 2008 1:06 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 5714063)
In the nearly 5 years we've been here we have had:

1. Wife's purse stolen at the kids school, Ocean Reef.
2. Wife's mobile stolen.
3. Both cars broken in to on our drive, Ocean Reef.
4. Wife witnessed a carjacking.
5. We witnessed our neighbours being beaten up, stabbed in an unprovoked attack, Ocean Reef.
6. Wife had a rock thrown at her car in Mullaloo.

Just to add to this list, last night at a NYE party I met a 17 year old lad from my street, he couldn't walk properly and his arm was bandaged. Turns out he was stabbed 5 times with a 7 inch knife at a party a couple of months ago. So add this to the list...

7. Boy in my street stabbed 5 times, nearly died.

ktyler1961 Jan 1st 2008 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Georgina H (Post 5719030)
Where do you live in Manchester, just out of interest?

I don't think that it is fair to compare Stalybridge with places like Moss Side and Salford, given that it is considerably out of Manchester (in Cheshire actually) and if you are including areas that far out, why omit Ashton or Droylsden which are considerably worse?

I live in Stalybridge at the moment and have done for 5 years, before that I had always lived in Hyde (Gee Cross), in the time I have lived in Stalybridge I have never had a break in.

Also just look at the difference in house prices between Stalybridge and Salford, Moss Side etc, that speaks volumes. Moss Side and Salford have had years and years of crime with all the gangs in Manchester, Stalybridge is getting worse than it was but we are talking about two totally different animals here.

Rant over, for the record, I don't think anywhere in the Manchester area is ideal, which is why we are moving to Perth.:)

bstardo's lying. He's probably from Bowden or somewhere.

sarahjaneb Feb 12th 2008 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by ktyler1961 (Post 5726754)
bstardo's lying. He's probably from Bowden or somewhere.

when you talk about the crime in perth are you really talking about the crime in the inner city or the surrounding suburbs?if you mean everywhere where would you say is the safest place in australia to live?

Loch Lomond Feb 12th 2008 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by renth (Post 5724688)
Just to add to this list, last night at a NYE party I met a 17 year old lad from my street, he couldn't walk properly and his arm was bandaged. Turns out he was stabbed 5 times with a 7 inch knife at a party a couple of months ago. So add this to the list...

7. Boy in my street stabbed 5 times, nearly died.

Renth, you really need to move mate. I lived in Como / South Perth for 5 years...no problems (other than the Real Estate Agents), and most recently in Carramar and The Vines for 3 years, again no problems. Sounds like you are in an area of high problems. After posting this, I better get my baseball bat out and put it by my bed!!:eek:

Dorothy Feb 13th 2008 7:50 am

Originally Posted by sarahjaneb (Post 5921758)
when you talk about the crime in perth are you really talking about the crime in the inner city or the surrounding suburbs?if you mean everywhere where would you say is the safest place in australia to live?

Both. For the safest place in Australia I would think maybe Tasmania?