British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Perception of crime in Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/perception-crime-perth-501966/)

marcpiano Dec 28th 2007 1:27 am

Perception of crime in Perth

With yet another murder last night (and yet another serious assault in one of the nightclubs I was working) I'm interested to hear of ExPats perceptions of the crime rate in Perth?

Working security/nightclubs it's stayed pretty much constant in terms of low-level disorder since I started working in the industry, but the violent crime and murder rate has shot up in my perception even in the year and a half or so I've been back here.

Went back to the UK for a couple of weeks and my friends there still had the misconception of Perth being some sort of crime-free utopia and were quite taken aback when I told them the real story.

So interested to hear the views of those who live here now on the crime rate and how it's affected them, if at all. Also interested on hearing the views of those yet to move here but considering it.

Nu-Shooz Dec 28th 2007 1:34 am

Re: Perception of crime in Perth

Originally Posted by marcpiano (Post 5710684)
With yet another murder last night (and yet another serious assault in one of the nightclubs I was working) I'm interested to hear of ExPats perceptions of the crime rate in Perth?

Working security/nightclubs it's stayed pretty much constant in terms of low-level disorder since I started working in the industry, but the violent crime and murder rate has shot up in my perception even in the year and a half or so I've been back here.

Went back to the UK for a couple of weeks and my friends there still had the misconception of Perth being some sort of crime-free utopia and were quite taken aback when I told them the real story.

So interested to hear the views of those who live here now on the crime rate and how it's affected them, if at all. Also interested on hearing the views of those yet to move here but considering it.

Yes, very worrying. Everyday brings more murders, muggings, etc...i know it is everywhere, but what concerns me is the soon to be expats in UK who rattle on about the crime in UK and that they can't wait to get away from it.:sneaky:
It does seem to be getting worse in Perth. Not sure about the other states, but is it because there are more immigrants in Perth???
I for one have not settled in Perth very well and the more i hear stories like this, the more i realise maybe this place is not so great afterall.

marcpiano Dec 28th 2007 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 5710693)
Yes, very worrying. Everyday brings more murders, muggings, etc...i know it is everywhere, but what concerns me is the soon to be expats in UK who rattle on about the crime in UK and that they can't wait to get away from it.:sneaky:
It does seem to be getting worse in Perth. Not sure about the other states, but is it because there are more immigrants in Perth???
I for one have not settled in Perth very well and the more i hear stories like this, the more i realise maybe this place is not so great afterall.

I actually preferred Manchester - I was assaulted once in the entire time I was there (3 years) and that was on duty as a police officer. Never off duty.

Been assaulted more times than I care to count here in security and numerous times off-duty too. Usually in unprovoked attacks by the natives, two of whom were responsible for last nights murder according to reports. God bless 'em.

Nu-Shooz Dec 28th 2007 1:50 am

Originally Posted by marcpiano (Post 5710705)
I actually preferred Manchester - I was assaulted once in the entire time I was there (3 years) and that was on duty as a police officer. Never off duty.

Been assaulted more times than I care to count here in security and numerous times off-duty too. Usually in unprovoked attacks by the natives, two of whom were responsible for last nights murder according to reports. God bless 'em.

I was shocked to hear about that poor guy who got battered with a cricket bat on Christmas day, he died!!

aston man Dec 28th 2007 2:24 am

this works for me try it...

go through life not givin a shit what goes on around you,i dont read the papers ,dont watch the news...

seriously ,what crime...?

northernbird Dec 28th 2007 3:34 am

The crime here doesn't affect me. I am under no illusion that crap happens here but its impact on me and mine daily is NIL so I don't suppose I am bothered. However you have to remember that Perth is a city the size of probably Leeds, Metro Manchester and Bristol put together so I dare say crime is going to happen and probably on a par with the cumulative total of those 3 cities.

Dorothy Dec 28th 2007 3:44 am

aaaaaaaaaaaa (typed by my cat)

Anyway, I'm with NB here. Crime happens no matter where you live. Those who think of Australia as some sort of crime free utopia are either delusional or in a state of denial.

asprilla Dec 28th 2007 7:18 am

There do seem to be far more horror stories in the news than you would expect given that the WA population isn't that high. Couldn't believe that a guy was murdered on the beach the other day, first thing that jumped into my mind was "I bet thats in WA".

But I'm 99% sure that I have a misconception, and crime is pretty evenly spread throughout Oz.

worzel Dec 28th 2007 9:20 am

Just a bit of perspective here. There is a bit of violence outside pubs late at night, as there is anywhere. In the UK it often involves guns and knives (fists don't even get reported any more) while here a "real man" (I use that term advisedly) still uses his fists. There seem to be a lot of "king hits" - one punch that was unprovoked that often leads to head trauma and death but I can't help wonder whether there was really some words exchanged to provoke it, not that it is excusable. So if you don't go out 'til 3am, wind people up and generally look for trouble you won't find it unless you are really unlucky. There often seems to be aboriginals involved too which may have something to do with them being treated like animals or maybe their inability to cope with grog or a Western lifestyle. I have to admit though, Perth attracts the title of the "wild west" and it is not totally unwarranted. Drinking to excess seems even more of a problem here than the UK. Popular culture almost encourages it though.

But crime that most people are likely to experience like house and car break ins or vandalism seem much much less in my experience here compared to the UK. Our suburb gets one break in every few weeks per the local paper - how many in the UK can say that?

You can (and people often do) leave houses and cars unlocked. We went to a theme park yesterday and left chairs, bags, cameras, glasses, loose change on the grass while we went on the rides and they were still there when we got back.

Pollyana Dec 28th 2007 9:55 am

Originally Posted by markallwood (Post 5711408)
There do seem to be far more horror stories in the news than you would expect given that the WA population isn't that high. Couldn't believe that a guy was murdered on the beach the other day, first thing that jumped into my mind was "I bet thats in WA".

But I'm 99% sure that I have a misconception, and crime is pretty evenly spread throughout Oz.

But then look at the guy in rural Queensland who was smashed in the fac with a crowbar for no reason except that he was in the wrong house at the wrong time,and all he wanted to do was buy a kitten.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501887

Issie Dec 28th 2007 10:11 am

The World is becoming a much violent place these days so why should Perth be any different. Any city brings crime , i live 20 minutes from Liverpool , with shooting being reported on a weekly basis. Only about 10 years ago....shooting where practically unheard of unless they were i America. Life is getting to be a pretty tough place now days.

rockpeblar Dec 28th 2007 11:20 am

We lived in Plymouth and were burgled twice in our previous house. Only after we installed an alarm did they stop. Also had a couple of attempted break-ins on our cars. We lived next to a park and every year they would torch the park benches and smash out the street lights and this was one of the better parts of Plymouth.
The violence on Union Street was pretty bad that they now have a field hospital set up at weekends to deal with the victims.

So far we've only seen graffiti and some arson attacks on vehicles in and around the hills. Yes there are one or two house burglaries/week/suburb but there probably are back in the UK. On the whole I'd say we 'feel' safer over here.

Nu-Shooz Dec 28th 2007 11:36 am

I'd be pretty horrified if there were one or two burgalries a week on my street:ohmy:
I don't think there have been any, as far as i know, since i have lived on this street.
I have left the garage door fully open by accident afew times:o and nothing has gone missing.
I do feel safe where i am, but i felt save where i lived in UK.

ktyler1961 Dec 28th 2007 5:30 pm

Do you work in Northbridge ? That place is just about the only place where people can go out at the weekend where there are a a reasonable concentration of bars, clubs and restaurants. So you get a big melting pot of varying human lifeforms down there at the same time, most OK, but lots of scum. Give it ten years mate and it will make places like Manchester or Liverpool look like a fairy cake baking competition at the Womens Institute.
I had to knock out a few of those naive, mouthy Ozzie knob heads just so I could continue walking down James Street.
Move to Darwin kid. They call a spade a spade up here.

bstardo Dec 28th 2007 7:04 pm

total rubbish that and you know it.

Originally Posted by ktyler1961 (Post 5712931)
Do you work in Northbridge ? That place is just about the only place where people can go out at the weekend where there are a a reasonable concentration of bars, clubs and restaurants. So you get a big melting pot of varying human lifeforms down there at the same time, most OK, but lots of scum. Give it ten years mate and it will make places like Manchester or Liverpool look like a fairy cake baking competition at the Womens Institute.
I had to knock out a few of those naive, mouthy Ozzie knob heads just so I could continue walking down James Street.
Move to Darwin kid. They call a spade a spade up here.

guest5234 Dec 28th 2007 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 5711746)
Just a bit of perspective here. There is a bit of violence outside pubs late at night, as there is anywhere. In the UK it often involves guns and knives (fists don't even get reported any more) while here a "real man" (I use that term advisedly) still uses his fists. There seem to be a lot of "king hits" - one punch that was unprovoked that often leads to head trauma and death but I can't help wonder whether there was really some words exchanged to provoke it, not that it is excusable. So if you don't go out 'til 3am, wind people up and generally look for trouble you won't find it unless you are really unlucky. There often seems to be aboriginals involved too which may have something to do with them being treated like animals or maybe their inability to cope with grog or a Western lifestyle. I have to admit though, Perth attracts the title of the "wild west" and it is not totally unwarranted. Drinking to excess seems even more of a problem here than the UK. Popular culture almost encourages it though.

But crime that most people are likely to experience like house and car break ins or vandalism seem much much less in my experience here compared to the UK. Our suburb gets one break in every few weeks per the local paper - how many in the UK can say that?

You can (and people often do) leave houses and cars unlocked. We went to a theme park yesterday and left chairs, bags, cameras, glasses, loose change on the grass while we went on the rides and they were still there when we got back.

Thats just plain stupid....no matter where you live their will always be bad apples in the barrell...you were lucky......then again I live in the cotswolds and have never locked my car in the village or outside my house.:ohmy:

bstardo Dec 28th 2007 7:26 pm

Maybe some of the northeners who are so enfactuated with Uk should move to salford stalybridge, clifton, moss side, harpur hey, etc.

ktyler1961 Dec 28th 2007 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by bstardo (Post 5713210)
total rubbish that and you know it.

You've been there then have you bstardo ? You know the score, yeah ?
I've lived in Salford and Moss Side.

Funky Monkey Dec 28th 2007 8:47 pm

Hi.

We arrive in perth on PR in August. Have been twice before on holiday and stepbrother has live there for around 20 years. I read the West Australian online and also the Sydney Herald.

My perception is that murders, rape e.t.c are probably just as bad as is pub/club violence. You can be in a club and get some twat glass you anywhere and drink will ALWAYS be a factor in nearly all town/city centre violence. There is sadly an element of wrong place wrong time anywhere in the world.
One thing I personally feel different about is the mindless vandalism. In Perth yes you see graffitti which is another scourge but I did see a lot less gangs of kids hanging around, I am sure they do but I just did not see them and I was not sat in everynight. I run here regularly in the U.K and I always see gangs of youths hanging around although they tend to leave you alone if on your own but nearly always abuse you if in a group. I never experienced this in Perth and just felt there was more "respect" for other people and the environment.
I am not moving to Perth because I think it will be safer it is just my take on the crime situation.

Exile Dec 28th 2007 11:39 pm

The WA Police statistics say there were 76 burglaries reported in your suburb in the last two years and 25 assaults. Not great for a population of about 2,500.

As the OP suggests, it's all about perception.

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 5711746)

renth Dec 29th 2007 12:08 am

In the nearly 5 years we've been here we have had:

1. Wife's purse stolen at the kids school, Ocean Reef.
2. Wife's mobile stolen.
3. Both cars broken in to on our drive, Ocean Reef.
4. Wife witnessed a carjacking.
5. We witnessed our neighbours being beaten up, stabbed in an unprovoked attack, Ocean Reef.
6. Wife had a rock thrown at her car in Mullaloo.

tony_russell Dec 29th 2007 12:18 am

where i live in sydney -eastern suburbs, virtually crime free compared to where i used to live in london.

BadgeIsBack Dec 29th 2007 1:23 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 5710992)
The crime here doesn't affect me. I am under no illusion that crap happens here but its impact on me and mine daily is NIL so I don't suppose I am bothered. However you have to remember that Perth is a city the size of probably Leeds, Metro Manchester and Bristol put together so I dare say crime is going to happen and probably on a par with the cumulative total of those 3 cities.

Indeed - remember - Australian places are cities of 1m -4m people. They are not small.

We are 'practically' crime free here where we are. Go down to the burbs and there are usual issues with hoons and alcohol in hot spots.

I almost wouldn't worry about burglaries unless it is endemic - and even then it might be because your burb is access-easy and has stuff worth knicking.

I would worry more about crime culture - where the lack of opportunitiies and attitude creates a culture where crime follows. eg where I lived in S london, or people are just plain feral and don't care about their environment, or a hotspot of drink and nightclubs.

We have 1 buglary every 3 months or so from the main road but often the work of opportunists.

aston man Dec 29th 2007 2:14 am

1.saw a stray crisp bag
2.some poo on a verge.
3.saw a untied shoe lace
4.saw a man on his mobile phone in the service station.
5.i heard a bloke say"fluck"when he dropped a slab of tooies on his foot.
6.saw two blokes get an old lady across the road when there were three of em.
7.saw a bloke driving at 30 in a 60
8.heard a carol singer tut when i gave him 10 bucks.
9.saw a man slip on a banana skin

marcpiano Dec 29th 2007 3:24 am

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 5714348)
1.saw a stray crisp bag
2.some poo on a verge.
3.saw a untied shoe lace

Where do you live? I want to go there!

Dorothy Dec 29th 2007 3:38 am

Originally Posted by marcpiano (Post 5714490)
Where do you live? I want to go there!

He's in a world of his own, mate.

Munnsters Down Under Dec 29th 2007 3:53 am

Hello My Friend

I had heard about this website but never dipped in until today.

Whilst on the beach this morning meeting friends for a morning walk with dogs and some yoga we returned to find our car window smashed and sat nav stolen!! I honestly thought that at Warnbro beach, (Rockingham, Perth) such beauty indeed, there would be little chance of any harm coming to my family friends and indeed my car. The car park was packed with families just like ourselves and the Scumbags that are doing this are only meters away.

we are only here 10 weeks and this has knocked us for six, it will not dampen our spirits though but it will certainly make us re consider the location in which we enjoy our walks. We too have heard that crime is on the up, with 1 stabbing in Rockingham (Vibe Nightclub) a few days ago and another boy getting kidnapped, beat and dumped!! I have also noticed, or should I say not noticed! very little police presence!! Where are all the Bobbies on the beat???
I'm not that naive to know that crime does not exist here but you are right about the utopia conception of those outside of WA they need to loose it!

Evelin Dec 29th 2007 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Munnsters Down Under (Post 5714540)
I have also noticed, or should I say not noticed! very little police presence!! Where are all the Bobbies on the beat???
I'm not that naive to know that crime does not exist here but you are right about the utopia conception of those outside of WA they need to loose it!

sorry to hear about your break-in.

You are right, in the Rockingham Shire you won't see much of a police presence, we have only a few and they are bissy in the police station to fill in the burglary forms. I don't know if it is still the case but until a few years ago we had not a single police man in the shire after 5pm. If there was a problem they came down from Fremantle.

Saying this, I remember a few years back when we went to the south of France, we parked our car at carpark with lots of cars and tourists. We went to have a look at the attraction for about 5 min, came back, the window of the car was broken, my handbag gone and one car tyre flat.

Exile Dec 29th 2007 6:30 am

Sorry to hear about that. It really leaves a nasty taste, I know.

There is no way to escape it. It happens in expensive suburbs and cheap ones. It happens all along the beaches in the north (just look for the broken glass on the ground in virtually any car park), from Cottesloe to Quinns Rocks and beyond, and at other places (Pinnaroo Cemetery is a well-known one).

Perth is known as the burglary capital of Australia. It is full of thieving b@stards, just waiting for their chance. Unless you are very lucky, it will happen sooner or later to you or someone close to you if you are here long enough.

Quite a few people I've met who have been here a long time say the only way to deal with it is to expect to be burgled, or have your car broken in to, every time you go away, or park the car (and sometimes even if you don't go away). Expect it, and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen. I know of people in some quite expensive suburbs who said they have been burgled twice in a year. A favourite trick is for the burglars to come back for the new stuff that was replaced on insurance payouts.

I think you have to have come from a pretty rough bit of the UK for Perth to be better in terms of crime.

Originally Posted by Munnsters Down Under (Post 5714540)
Hello My Friend

I had heard about this website but never dipped in until today.

Whilst on the beach this morning meeting friends for a morning walk with dogs and some yoga we returned to find our car window smashed and sat nav stolen!! I honestly thought that at Warnbro beach, (Rockingham, Perth) such beauty indeed, there would be little chance of any harm coming to my family friends and indeed my car. The car park was packed with families just like ourselves and the Scumbags that are doing this are only meters away.

we are only here 10 weeks and this has knocked us for six, it will not dampen our spirits though but it will certainly make us re consider the location in which we enjoy our walks. We too have heard that crime is on the up, with 1 stabbing in Rockingham (Vibe Nightclub) a few days ago and another boy getting kidnapped, beat and dumped!! I have also noticed, or should I say not noticed! very little police presence!! Where are all the Bobbies on the beat???

marcpiano Dec 29th 2007 6:53 am

Beating seven shades of shit out of the offender if you catch them is likely to be more effective than involving the police too, from some of my experiences...

Funky Monkey Dec 29th 2007 8:34 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 5714063)
In the nearly 5 years we've been here we have had:

1. Wife's purse stolen at the kids school, Ocean Reef.
2. Wife's mobile stolen.
3. Both cars broken in to on our drive, Ocean Reef.
4. Wife witnessed a carjacking.
5. We witnessed our neighbours being beaten up, stabbed in an unprovoked attack, Ocean Reef.
6. Wife had a rock thrown at her car in Mullaloo.

Thats pretty bad, I have not had that in my lifetime here. How does it compare to where you left in the U.K

bstardo Dec 29th 2007 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey (Post 5715093)
Thats pretty bad, I have not had that in my lifetime here. How does it compare to where you left in the U.K

Thats happened to us, in the last 10 years, but I can also count around another 15 families in my locality where it has aswell.

UK That is

renth Dec 29th 2007 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey (Post 5715093)

There wasn't too much crime in Nutley, East Sussex.

Dorothy Dec 29th 2007 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Exile (Post 5714728)
A favourite trick is for the burglars to come back for the new stuff that was replaced on insurance payouts.

Yup. We were burgled on a Sunday night and the following week they were back. Or at least someone was. Whether it was the same people or not we don't know, but either way it was twice in a few days. When my husband asked the Joondalup police about filing a report they tried to fob him off until he insisted. His passport was stolen, so we needed a police file number to get him a new one.

Cheetah7 Dec 29th 2007 8:51 pm

I don't mind admitting that this thread is making me nervous:(

Sure I know that crime happens everywhere. Where I live now we have to keep our doors locked and chained while we are in the house.

The nearest shopping centre to us has police crawling over it and the crime rate has shot up.

I suppose its the thought of going somewhere worse than where we are now. My God you wouldnt sleep with your window open where I am and my neighbour was burgled in April and we saw the intruder in the garden:eek:

worzel Dec 29th 2007 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by guest5234 (Post 5713224)
Thats just plain stupid....no matter where you live their will always be bad apples in the barrell...you were lucky......then again I live in the cotswolds and have never locked my car in the village or outside my house.:ohmy:

Oh come on! Everyone knows that if you leave your car keys in your shoes on the beach while you go surfing no one will ever find them.;):lol:

Admittedly the camera wasn't ours and I wouldn't have left that on top of a bag but $6 in change and prescription glasses that won't suit anyone else is hardly a risk. Because everyone does it you are (i) unlikely to find people nicking stuff because they do the same thing (ii) if anyone does go on the rob the chances they go for ours is slim and (iii) we were back and to all day, there were people sitting near us who would recognise a stranger in our stuff - and people will intervene here not like the UK.

geordie downunder Dec 30th 2007 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Exile (Post 5714728)
Sorry to hear about that. It really leaves a nasty taste, I know.

There is no way to escape it. It happens in expensive suburbs and cheap ones. It happens all along the beaches in the north (just look for the broken glass on the ground in virtually any car park), from Cottesloe to Quinns Rocks and beyond, and at other places (Pinnaroo Cemetery is a well-known one).

Perth is known as the burglary capital of Australia. It is full of thieving b@stards, just waiting for their chance. Unless you are very lucky, it will happen sooner or later to you or someone close to you if you are here long enough.

Quite a few people I've met who have been here a long time say the only way to deal with it is to expect to be burgled, or have your car broken in to, every time you go away, or park the car (and sometimes even if you don't go away). Expect it, and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen. I know of people in some quite expensive suburbs who said they have been burgled twice in a year. A favourite trick is for the burglars to come back for the new stuff that was replaced on insurance payouts.

I think you have to have come from a pretty rough bit of the UK for Perth to be better in terms of crime.

Well I've lived here for a long time and the car has been stolen once (around 89) and the house has been broken into once (87).Other than that ,nothing,oh I forgot there was an attempted burglary on a rental property in Vic Park around 2000.

I know very few people who have been broken into or had cars stolen.

When we lived in Adelaide we were broken into once and sure enough they came back around 6-8 weeks later to try to get the new gear that the insurance company had bought,that was probably around 93.

On holiday in the UK it usually takes the first night for the hire car to be broken into,never fails.Next door neighbour always took the front wheel off his car to stop people stealing it.

manc1 Dec 30th 2007 12:42 am

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 5714348)
1.saw a stray crisp bag
2.some poo on a verge.
3.saw a untied shoe lace

Aaaah same old exciting Perth. :p:rofl:

manc1 Dec 30th 2007 12:54 am

Originally Posted by bstardo (Post 5713274)
Maybe some of the northeners who are so enfactuated with Uk should move to salford stalybridge, clifton, moss side, harpur hey, etc.

I have lived in Salford and never had any problems. In Perth there was always somebody we knew who had been broken into or had there car stolen. Our car was stolen and was never seen again.

guest5234 Dec 30th 2007 8:26 am

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 5717539)
Oh come on! Everyone knows that if you leave your car keys in your shoes on the beach while you go surfing no one will ever find them.;):lol:

Admittedly the camera wasn't ours and I wouldn't have left that on top of a bag but $6 in change and prescription glasses that won't suit anyone else is hardly a risk. Because everyone does it you are (i) unlikely to find people nicking stuff because they do the same thing (ii) if anyone does go on the rob the chances they go for ours is slim and (iii) we were back and to all day, there were people sitting near us who would recognise a stranger in our stuff - and people will intervene here not like the UK.

You really talk some rubbish....what do you mean "people will intervene here not like the UK" what a load of tosh....anyone in the UK would intervene if they saw someone pinching another persons stuff while that person was swimming or whatever....aussies are no better or no worse than brits, dont be so stupid.