67.65%
"You're mad!!!!!" [Who'd want to do that]
13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

People's reaction

Old Aug 29th 2003, 3:54 am
Badge

Default People's reaction

Been a while since I did something original...

What do people - strangers/colleagues etc (not just family and immediate mates) say when you tell them you're pulling the red handle on the UK - bailing out...??

badge

Old Aug 29th 2003, 6:05 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

nice to see your break did you good, back to life and buzzing with excellent ideas
Everyone, without exception, says they wish they could/ would or should have done it (emergrated i mean!)
Old Aug 29th 2003, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: People's reaction

Originally posted by badgersmount
Been a while since I did something original...

What do people - strangers/colleagues etc (not just family and immediate mates) say when you tell them you're pulling the red handle on the UK - bailing out...??

badge
Hi Badge
just voted - lucky bugger, which we'd done it years ago etc.

best wishes
rach
Old Aug 29th 2003, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Some people wish they were brave enough to do it. I've lost count of the people who have said, I'd love to but couldn't leave family, England(why), everything they know.

We don't need to leave. We have a great life here in a beautiful part of the south coast. But I don't want to be 70 thinking "what if"

Its a big old world, we've holidayed all over Europe and been to Oz twice. Why shouldn't we give it a go????????

Jo x
Old Aug 29th 2003, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Hey Rach

Saw you in the property paper this week.

Are you booking appointments for social calls & will I need a pen and paper for Autographs.

Jo x
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by steve-n-jo
Hey Rach

Saw you in the property paper this week.

Are you booking appointments for social calls & will I need a pen and paper for Autographs.

Jo x
hahahaha Jo!
did you also notice that i was on PAGE 3! does this make me famous????
thanks for noticing
:scared:

rach x
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:34 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Most i have spoken to give the "good luck" spiel...but i reckon its more of a well wish that actual jealousy.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:46 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone without exception has wished it were them, and then they've asked if we've won the lottery (I wish)
I deliver prescription drugs for the local chemist and I was doing a delivery to a house which was up for sale me being nosy asked the elderly where they were moving to. Expecting it to be some sort of retirement accommodation she looked at me and grinned and said they were emigrating to NZ. I nearly fell over as this couple are both in their 80's guess to goes to show it's never too late. Although I must say she has a daughter over there but no family left this side of the pond. Total Respect to both of them
Debbie
Old Aug 29th 2003, 4:55 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cresta57
Everyone without exception has wished it were them, and then they've asked if we've won the lottery (I wish)
I deliver prescription drugs for the local chemist and I was doing a delivery to a house which was up for sale me being nosy asked the elderly where they were moving to. Expecting it to be some sort of retirement accommodation she looked at me and grinned and said they were emigrating to NZ. I nearly fell over as this couple are both in their 80's guess to goes to show it's never too late. Although I must say she has a daughter over there but no family left this side of the pond. Total Respect to both of them
Debbie
My grandfather emigrated to NZ aged 88.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 5:59 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

We don't need to leave. We have a great life here in a beautiful part of the south coast. But I don't want to be 70 thinking "what if"

Jo x [/QUOTE]

We are also on the south coast, in our 40's and comfortable, England has been good to us but it's time to stop chasing the £ and go play! all of our friends are envious and say "lucky buggers, wish we had done it years ago".

Slater
Old Aug 29th 2003, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would have voted in the poll except there isn't a category for "disowned by family"

The response from my mum was "well you won't get in as they are very fussy about who they let in nowadays..."
It didn't help when I said that unfortunately nurses are kind of in demand and usually get visas relatively quickly.

Everyone else we have spoken to are happy for us and kind of wish they could do it too. (especially my sister - mind you I think she is happy cos she'll be in for my share of the inheritence

)
Old Aug 30th 2003, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Most people we have told have been slightly envious. I have also been surprised by the number of people who know someone else who is emigrating to OZ. It seems every man and his dog is trying to get out there!
Old Aug 30th 2003, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

unfortunatly, most people have had positive reactions apart from the one i love the most my dad, he is 75 and since we started talking about doing this he has slowly started to distance himself from me, if my brother suggests a family drink then only him and my brother go, he has said that he will come out to visit every year but who knows

all my life he has said that i need to do what is right for me and not to worry about anybody else but when push comes to shove i suppose that sentiment dosnt count

i suppose most people doing this have relatives like this and have to live with the guilt that goes with the application

arlene
Old Aug 30th 2003, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Arlene

Originally posted by arlene
unfortunatly, most people have had positive reactions apart from the one i love the most my dad, he is 75 and since we started talking about doing this he has slowly started to distance himself from me, if my brother suggests a family drink then only him and my brother go, he has said that he will come out to visit every year but who knows

all my life he has said that i need to do what is right for me and not to worry about anybody else but when push comes to shove i suppose that sentiment dosnt count

i suppose most people doing this have relatives like this and have to live with the guilt that goes with the application

arlene
hi arlene
i agree about your statement that most people have relatives that don't want you to go and that you have to live with the guilt!
my mum has recently divorced from my step dad and she is not in the best of health (angina, high blood pressure) and my sister thinks that i am wrong to be moving to the other side of the world! also i am leaving behind my 18 year old daughter and i feel guilty at times but this is my life, mine, my hubbys and our daughter Chanelle (11), and you cannot live your life for other people and have regrets of 'what ifs'!
generally i think that the people who are jealous are those that haven't/didn't have the balls or the opportunity to try it, that goes for all walks of life!
my dad told me, years ago that life is not a dress rehearsal, you get one shot....i for one intend to make the most of it!
rach
Old Aug 30th 2003, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arlene

Originally posted by nosuchluck
hi arlene
i agree about your statement that most people have relatives that don't want you to go and that you have to live with the guilt!
my mum has recently divorced from my step dad and she is not in the best of health (angina, high blood pressure) and my sister thinks that i am wrong to be moving to the other side of the world! also i am leaving behind my 18 year old daughter and i feel guilty at times but this is my life, mine, my hubbys and our daughter Chanelle (11), and you cannot live your life for other people and have regrets of 'what ifs'!
generally i think that the people who are jealous are those that haven't/didn't have the balls or the opportunity to try it, that goes for all walks of life!
my dad told me, years ago that life is not a dress rehearsal, you get one shot....i for one intend to make the most of it!
rach

rach

totally agree with everything you say but dosnt take away the guilt does it!

arlene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.