Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

People with pets

People with pets

Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:26 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default People with pets

Just thinking when we did have a few hot days...so long ago now can't remember but the flies have been buzzing round the cat dishes.

I was thinking it will be a lot worse in Aus. So I have found some pet dishes with lids and little pedals so they can open them up!Little sods have had them 4 days and still need a shove onto the pedal. They are quite trendy looking too for cat dishes.

If anyones interested I'll find the link.

Max
Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Max, sounds like a cool idea, specially to reduce the likelihood of Cockies.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:34 pm

Originally posted by Larissa
Yeah Max, sounds like a cool idea, specially to reduce the likelihood of Cockies.
...found it!

http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/pre...+Bowl&cid=1306

Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

maxpaxx, how i chortled at your reference to the "little sods". I have 3 now, 2x 3 year olds and 1 9 week old who was looking for a new home. one's on a diet, one on 'fat food' and the other on kitten food. it's always interesting at meal times. there's an alternative if you can handle the demanding miaows, feed on demand.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:18 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by maxpaxx
...found it!

Oh excellent, must look into that. Do they do them for people-food dishes, I wonder...?

BTW, my cats tell me your thread should be entitled 'Pets with People'.....

Anya.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

...found it!

Good idea... but £10 for a bloomin cat bowl?!!! Spend enough on the fluff balls as it is lol!
Question has to be, can you get 'em in Aus cheaper? Where's Ceri when ya need her, she should know!
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:40 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: People with pets

I've never seen them here..
I Just put in a search into google AU and nope couldn't find anything except this below, a gizmo exhibition at Melbourne where they will (or was) be on display - it's a British invention so perhaps they are not sold here yet. http://www.gizmo.com.au/public/News/...articleid=1852

You can get bowls with a timing device on them here, don't know where you get them though.. I saw them on the back of a friskies box as a special offer.
It's ants in the summer more than flies that are a prob with me, so I wouldn't personally buy one.. you don't get too many flies in the house ( windows and doors on most houses have fly screens on them ) - which is easily sorted - place dish in a shallow bowl/saucer of water, or buy a dish which is designed to be filled with water around it ( some supermarkets, and most pet shops have them for just a few dollars)

P.S

http://www.lovemypet.com.au/mall/cat_foodbowls.asp ( ant free bowl and those timer feeder bowls) - don't go by those prices, you can pick up the ant free bowls for under $10 in some shops, that site seems to be very expensive.

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 6th 2004 at 2:45 am.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:56 am
rudo1ph

Or you could just go for the dry food diet

Makes it really easy if you are going away for a weekend......don't need to find someone to look after the cats......you just leave out extra food and it doesn't go smelly.

Old Jul 6th 2004, 3:05 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rudo1ph
Or you could just go for the dry food diet

Makes it really easy if you are going away for a weekend......don't need to find someone to look after the cats......you just leave out extra food and it doesn't go smelly.
Well, we have a doggy and her food and water bowls remain permanently outside. She is on a steady diet of dry food so the flies aren't really a problem but the bloody birds think that it's a free buffet.

She's gotten so used to them that more than half the time, she lies there and lets them grab a few bits before running them off!

Speaking of birds... I recently had a bad experience with a nasty birdy. Beware all ye who plan on fishponds!!

Murder in my backyard
Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:40 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Siren
Well, we have a doggy and her food and water bowls remain permanently outside. She is on a steady diet of dry food so the flies aren't really a problem but the bloody birds think that it's a free buffet.

She's gotten so used to them that more than half the time, she lies there and lets them grab a few bits before running them off!

Speaking of birds... I recently had a bad experience with a nasty birdy. Beware all ye who plan on fishponds!!

Murder in my backyard
It looks like an egret to me lol , we have them with us too ( try netting your pond .. you see many ponds netted for this reason I suppose) .
reminds me of a couple of Sundays ago, we were sitting in the dining room watching a bluetongue lizard outside ( for some reason we don't seem to get a lot of them here with us.loads of dragons such as the beard type and water dragon, but no bluetongues for some reason, I hardly ever see them . used to be overrun with the things down in Newcastle) next thing a Kookaburra swooped down and grabbed it - whacked it against the trunk of tree and ate it..lol - the joys of nature.
I was thinking of putting two ponds in ... I'm still landscaping at the moment - one next to he bush for frogs , we have quite a few different types of frogs with us, apparently there is rare one too .. the reserve I'm living next to, was deemed a protected reserve because of this frog apparently ( probably be overrun with cane toads! we get tons of things in the summer - had one who was hopping around my dining room one evening with the cats about to pounce on him.. they're not too bright sometimes.. if it moves they jump on it ) and another on the patio ( sort of a lap pond thing waist height) for fish .. don't know though.. I'm still planning.. I'm trying to make it into a native bush garden with just native QLD plants .. with no grass to mow ( can't wait to chuck the lawn mower out lol)

Anyway try netting your pond - that may work
Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:30 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
It looks like an egret to me lol , we have them with us too ( try netting your pond .. you see many ponds netted for this reason I suppose) .
reminds me of a couple of Sundays ago, we were sitting in the dining room watching a bluetongue lizard outside ( for some reason we don't seem to get a lot of them here with us.loads of dragons such as the beard type and water dragon, but no bluetongues for some reason, I hardly ever see them . used to be overrun with the things down in Newcastle) next thing a Kookaburra swooped down and grabbed it - whacked it against the trunk of tree and ate it..lol - the joys of nature.
I was thinking of putting two ponds in ... I'm still landscaping at the moment - one next to he bush for frogs , we have quite a few different types of frogs with us, apparently there is rare one too .. the reserve I'm living next to, was deemed a protected reserve because of this frog apparently ( probably be overrun with cane toads! we get tons of things in the summer - had one who was hopping around my dining room one evening with the cats about to pounce on him.. they're not too bright sometimes.. if it moves they jump on it ) and another on the patio ( sort of a lap pond thing waist height) for fish .. don't know though.. I'm still planning.. I'm trying to make it into a native bush garden with just native QLD plants .. with no grass to mow ( can't wait to chuck the lawn mower out lol)

Anyway try netting your pond - that may work
we were in Morth Maclean, Brissy, cpl months back, looking ata property, kids spotted a SNAKE lol, went a little closer and i looked to. WOW it was a big bugga all blue etc, then it kinda lifted up and slowly "walked" away, later found out it was a blue tongued lizard, was really surprised at its size. The guy whos property it was , says they have had loads of late , and he was gettin pissed at having to get the slasher out , poor old bugga
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:25 am
2007 Emigrants

Mike & Zoe is an unknown quantity at this point

[snip]I was thinking it will be a lot worse in Aus. [snip]
Are you taking your pets over then ? What are your plans ?
I'm already feeling guilty about leaving our cat behind until we find somewhere permanent to live...
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:39 am

Originally posted by Mike & Zoe
Are you taking your pets over then ? What are your plans ?
I'm already feeling guilty about leaving our cat behind until we find somewhere permanent to live...
Yes! They are all booked in through a kennel in Bristol. We drop them off on the Sunday and leave ourselves on the Wednesday.

To be honest if I could find them a loving home where I am sure they would be happy I would leave them here. It's funny a few people have offered because they are really funny little cats both very small and loving and one talks in a strange way - the other is just wierd. They really are part of our family. Trouble is the people that have offered either are not in much or live by a busy road. One of them was run over once so don't think they are good with roads
:scared:

I know what you mean about the guilt thing it's awful and something you can only understand if you like animals!

My husband loves them too but it not happy about the costs involved in taking them!

Anyway I think they will love it all they do is laze in a sunny spot if they can.

It's funny about the cat dish thing hadn't thought as Ceri says that you will have fly screens. That will be great I hate flies everywhere.

So are you planning to take yours when you get a place to live?
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:54 am
2007 Emigrants

Mike & Zoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes! They are all booked in through a kennel in Bristol. We drop them off on the Sunday and leave ourselves on the Wednesday.
Excellent. Can you give some pointers as to how you arranged it all. I would expect a cat to be cheaper (although he's a BIG cat) - but some idea of cost might be handy too

Originally posted by maxpaxx [snip]
So are you planning to take yours when you get a place to live?
Definitely. We've only had him 3 years, but he's VERY much part of the family. A bit of a moody bugger though (from a shelter) - I'm not so sure he'd find another home so easily - at least not for long... He's very outdoorsy too - so it will make it trickier finding somewhere to rent. But I couldn't forgive myself if we left him behind...
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:11 am

Well they haven't mentioned the size of the cats. Our quote is £985 for 2 cats to Perth. Then you have to add cost of vaccinations. My two flu jabs had expired so couldn't have boosters and that was £90. Aslo they have to be chipped - can't remember how much that cost but sure it wasn't more than £20 a cat.

The theres the import license think it's $260 but the kennel will do that.

Then...the cost of quarantine. I have allowed about £400 for that but may not be so much.

I was thinking it is a lot but then for whats involved like the crate, health certs, wormings, flea spray, sealing, vet check, kennels, flights and all the admin involved. You would think it would be more really.

There are loads of companies to choose from but price doesn't seem to vary overly. Just chose overhill because they were fairly close. There is Airpets - they were very professional and Golden Arrow were very friendly.

Hope this helps!

Max

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.