Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

people just dont understand

Wikiposts

people just dont understand

Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:28 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice
Default Re: people just dont understand

We've had mainly ever-so-slightly-jealous well wishes but some people kind of infuriated me a bit recently...

We set a date for our leaving do weeks ago, probably a month before the date (the do was on Friday just gone).
We got a few texts / e-mails on the day saying they're sorry they can't make it, and things like "are you around next weekend?" or "can I see you during the week instead?" when we've announced even longer ago that Gav's down to London on the following weekend for his flight.
They've not realised that if they'd have told us before we could have fit a visit in earlier, or that we might be tearing our hair out in a mad rush to get the packing done etc in his last few days in Leeds.

Of course in saying that, most people were indeed great and we had lots of fun this weekend, it's just the few that you think haven't been listening for the past several months, or who you now think don't even care you're going....

sorry, rant over!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:28 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NAC
'so is Australia still on then????'
Man, if I hear that one more time ....

I think the mistake I made was to tell people at work quite a while ago and they must assume once you've decided, you fill a form in and off you go We sold our house a few months back (while we could get a good price, just in case...) and have been staying with the in-laws. I wouldn't do that unless there was something to look forward to!

But instead I'm still here and any progress made on the visa front ... well, I guess we're the only ones who see it. So maybe it'll be a shock in a few months time when I walk out the door screaming 'later, suckers '.

Luckily my boss has been pretty good and after writing my references, etc, he believes me - my job was advertised last week because they want my replacement to overlap with me.

Now if I could only get my hands on that visa ......
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:35 am

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Man, if I hear that one more time ....

I think the mistake I made was to tell people at work quite a while ago and they must assume once you've decided, you fill a form in and off you go We sold our house a few months back (while we could get a good price, just in case...) and have been staying with the in-laws. I wouldn't do that unless there was something to look forward to!

But instead I'm still here and any progress made on the visa front ... well, I guess we're the only ones who see it. So maybe it'll be a shock in a few months time when I walk out the door screaming 'later, suckers '.

Luckily my boss has been pretty good and after writing my references, etc, he believes me - my job was advertised last week because they want my replacement to overlap with me.

Now if I could only get my hands on that visa ......
I made the same mistake Wayne...telling too many people, they just dont shut up about it...and when you do get a set back i think they are a little bit pleased about it.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:37 am
Wannabee Queenslander

badri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant future

Hi

We are still having the problem that people not believing that we will move.

My boss eventhough AHC london contacted him he still believes that I will be here.

He is even willing to give me a sabatical leave so that I will be back.

Hmm. The people around us worse they don't believe as well as make fun of us.

They keep saying you are running from the place. For the reason is simple I just love the place. People just don't think its sufficient.

The last thing I did is avoiding discussion or trying to give reasoning. I am done with that. Whether they like it or not I am going to Australia

Cheers
Badri
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:50 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

I think the mistake I made was to tell people at work quite a while ago and they must assume once you've decided, you fill a form in and off you go
Yup - same here too.
I needed to tell my boss fairly early because they were restructuring the office and roles, and needed to advertise for the post i was earmarked for and for someone to come in under me at a later date (office politics). I told her she might have to appoint someone new in my place because we'd be moving sometime within a year.

They advertised for the position under me first because I'd told them, then appointed my replacement since that time! I had been telling my boss that it would be likely i'm not leaving for months still but if she's happy enough to pay me too, who am i to argue?

Some people see me in the corridor at work now and say "blimey, are you still here?"

Makes one feel really wanted...

Last edited by lel_smiff; Apr 25th 2005 at 1:53 am.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 2:04 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lel_smiff
They advertised for the position under me first because I'd told them, then appointed my replacement since that time! I had been telling my boss that it would be likely i'm not leaving for months still but if she's happy enough to pay me too, who am i to argue?

Some people see me in the corridor at work now and say "blimey, are you still here?"
They wanted to advertise mine before I even had the skills assessment back - which I was a bit worried about anyway. I said "what happenes if IO fail this and you've had to pay 2 wages for a year?" and my boss said "that's a chance I'm prepared to take" In a way I was hoping my replacement would be in by now so that I could put my feet up

And yes I've been asked that a few times too
Old Apr 25th 2005, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

About six months before we left for Oz, I was in a Taxi on a rather long journey. After a while I mentioned to the cabbie we were emigrating to Oz...

Bad mistake

"We had the chance to go to Oz 20 years ago, bloody wife chickened out. My brother and his wife went, they're eff'n millionaires now. I've never forgiven the wife, still hate her. Brother keeps askin us to move out, bloody bitch keeps whining about family"

Thats the abbreviated version. His tirade went on for 20 minutes, full of inaccuracies about how I would be a millionaire in 2 years, and can buy a house overlooking Sydney for 8,000 pounds. But when a cabbies on a rant

Then he said whatever you do, don't let the wife stop you. I didn't have the heart to tell him my wife is HKongese, and was as up for the emigration as me.

Cheers,
JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Apr 25th 2005 at 2:49 am.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 2:28 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
"We had the chance to go to Oz 20 years ago, bloody wife chickened out. My brother and wife went, they're eff'n millionaires now. I've never forgiven the wife, still hate her. Brother keeps askin us to move out, bloody bitch keeps whining about family"
Actually that's just reminded me about a couple that work here. Her brother went out to Melbourne in the 60's and she and her parents wanted to go but he didn't - I hate to use the term but yes, he bottled it. So her parents didn't go either. Parents are gone now and she doesn't rant about hubby so much but I know from the look in her eye and tone of her voice that she resents him a little bit for it. They go visit her brother every couple of years and they love the place but at their age, without a large wedge in the bank, it's not possible.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:56 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Actually that's just reminded me about a couple that work here. Her brother went out to Melbourne in the 60's and she and her parents wanted to go but he didn't - I hate to use the term but yes, he bottled it. So her parents didn't go either. Parents are gone now and she doesn't rant about hubby so much but I know from the look in her eye and tone of her voice that she resents him a little bit for it. They go visit her brother every couple of years and they love the place but at their age, without a large wedge in the bank, it's not possible.

I say"F**k Em All" I am doing it for my immediate family and nothing more and nothing less. I lovemylarger family but at the end of the day you must live your own life the way you want to live it......
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

moomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura about

what about the ones that say 'wow, your so lucky!' - from where i am sitting it does not feel all about 'luck' at all.

i have a goal and i am going for it, anyone can make that decision too!?! - granted it is easier for some, but we failed tra first time around and it has been (and still is) a long slog (as with most of you).

more apathetic people treat you as if it has all happened to you by chance, like you won it off a cornflake packet or something : )

Last edited by moomin; Apr 25th 2005 at 5:42 am.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:26 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Angry Re: people just dont understand

Hi guys, know exactly how you feel...spoke to my mum again yesterday about it and her reaction was "well if you go im just going to kill myself" I said come on dont say that and her answer was "i will" that was the end of that conversation!
Waitin for medicals to be requested then when we want to jump with excitement, all I will be doing is worrying about everyone bloody hell!
Dawn

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Im not sure if it is just us, but people just dont understand our desire to move to australia. I even had one person today saying they think we will chicken out at the last minute.

get used to it, the ball is rolling, the visa is coming, we are going to live in australia next year.

does anyone else get that, whatever, feeling off family and friends? Do you get the feeling that they think your dreaming? Do they think that you not serious?

I tell you they are all in for a f***in shock, come next year Im outta here!!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Im not sure if it is just us, but people just dont understand our desire to move to australia. I even had one person today saying they think we will chicken out at the last minute.

get used to it, the ball is rolling, the visa is coming, we are going to live in australia next year.

does anyone else get that, whatever, feeling off family and friends? Do you get the feeling that they think your dreaming? Do they think that you not serious?

I tell you they are all in for a f***in shock, come next year Im outta here!!
I'm with you guys....tried to give you some K, but PC went funny...the weird comment is from me.!!!!

PS - I have many memories from the IOM. My Sister in law is Manx - but now living over here!!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moomin
what about the ones that say 'wow, your so lucky!' - from where i am sitting it does not feel all about 'luck' at all.
Let's face it, majority of people haven't a clue what you have to do to get a visa so they probably do think you're lucky Most people have assumed that because hubby and the girls have dual nationality, I can just turn up at the airport and get on a plane.

When I explain the forms, the meds and the money they look very confused and then when I explain that most visas are 20 times more complicated and costly they can't believe it and come out with the "but my gran went for £10"
Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:42 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Let's face it, majority of people haven't a clue what you have to do to get a visa so they probably do think you're lucky Most people have assumed that because hubby and the girls have dual nationality, I can just turn up at the airport and get on a plane.

When I explain the forms, the meds and the money they look very confused and then when I explain that most visas are 20 times more complicated and costly they can't believe it and come out with the "but my gran went for £10"

Your dead right, I spoke to a friend last week telling him my oz intentions and i saw him today and he asked did you get the OK to go....I thought i wont even bother explaining it as i would have my visa by the time i tell him the long drawn out painfull and expensive process of getting the "OK"
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:23 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi guys, know exactly how you feel...spoke to my mum again yesterday about it and her reaction was "well if you go im just going to kill myself" I said come on dont say that and her answer was "i will" that was the end of that conversation!
Waitin for medicals to be requested then when we want to jump with excitement, all I will be doing is worrying about everyone bloody hell!
Dawn
That's awful. What a thing for your mother to put into your head. I hope it hasn't put you off. In my opinion she needs a shake-up and to realise that she's not the only person in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.