Reload this Page >

Are People from India Welcome?

Wikiposts

Are People from India Welcome?

Old Jul 15th 2003, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

chuckyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are People from India Welcome?

Can someone from outside Asian Continent speak humbly about this topic?

Are people from the country India welcome in Australia? On a scale of 1 to 10, what is the welcoming level?

Also, what you dont like about Indians and what you like in them ?

Kindly write politely(please avoid abrasive language, etc) as we are not looking to express agression on each other. We are looking to be better neighbors. A friendly world is a peaceful and happy world too.

Thanks for your time and efforts!
Old Jul 15th 2003, 5:54 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Asian in Australia tends to refer to Japanese/Thai/Korean etc, Indian subcontinent immigrants less represented, though in my observation more so than African/Caribbean (though I speak only from a Brisbane perspective). Can't speak for your average Australian but it would be nice to see some more Indian subcontinent influences, something I miss since leaving Birmingham.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Whenever we go to Melbourne or Sydney I am amazed at the diversity of Races there, certain parts of Melbourne I could not distinguish from many London boroughs. Just like most other big cities in the world a real mix.

However in smaller, country parts of OZ Indians would certainly be in a minority. We are on the Sunshine Coast for example and would only have ever seen 3 maybe four Indian Families. One little boy I worked with his family have just relocated to Brisbane for Business, even there you will see lots more races. I have seen plenty of Indian families at SouthBank for example (Brisbane Parklands).

Perhaps the Immigration Website would have some figures by race for you?

Good luck with it all.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 6:20 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

ANCESTRY RESPONSES - 2001
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of people who stated the ancestry Ancestries in descending order by size (a)(b)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6.7 million Australian

6.4 million English

1.9 million Irish

500,000 - 999,999 Italian, German, Chinese, Scottish

150,000 - 499,999 Greek, Dutch, Lebanese, Indian, Vietnamese, Polish

50,000 - 149,999 Maltese, Filipino, New Zealander, Croatian, Serbian, Australian Aboriginal, Welsh, Macedonian, French, Spanish, Maori, Hungarian, Russian, Sinhalese, Turkish, South African

20,000 - 49,999 American, Korean, Danish, Austrian, Portuguese, Ukrainian, Japanese, Indonesian, Samoan, Egyptian, Swedish, Jewish, Swiss, Chilean, Khmer, Thai, Canadian

10,000 - 19,999 Latvian, Iranian, Assyrian/Chaldean, Malay, Finnish, Bosnian, Mauritian, Norwegian, Czech, Fijian, Romanian, Tongan, Armenian, Slovene, Pakistani, Afghan, Anglo-Indian, Lithuanian, Iraqi, Burmese, Albanian, Syrian, Lao

5,000 - 9,999 Torres Strait Islander, Bengali, Papua New Guinean, Cook Islander, Tamil, Estonian, Slovak, Palestinian, Salvadoran, Argentinian, Timorese, Uruguayan, Somali

2,500 - 4,999 Peruvian, Kurdish, Taiwanese, Bulgarian, Sudanese, Brazilian, Colombian, Australian South Sea Islander, Coptic, Ethiopian, Nepalese, Zimbabwean, Jordanian, Hispanic (North American)

Less than 2,500 70 other ancestries

(a) As up to two ancestries were coded per person, these groups are not mutually exclusive.
(b) Includes specific ancestries only, excludes residual categories such as Other British.

Source: ABS 2001 Census of Population and Housing.

Since 1986, the fastest growth among the leading ancestries has been in South and East Asian ancestries, with Chinese, Vietnamese and Indian ancestries more than doubling in number by 2001.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 6:44 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are People from India Welcome?

Originally posted by chuckyn

Are people from the country India welcome in Australia? On a scale of 1 to 10, what is the welcoming level?

Kindly write politely(please avoid abrasive language, etc) as we are not looking to express agression on each other. We are looking to be better neighbors. A friendly world is a peaceful and happy world too.

The short answer is Yes , the only Indian I have ever worked with has been in Australia , he was a great guy respected by all.
Perth has a growing Indian population even some of the Indian resturants boast of British Curries (what ever that maybe) , the anti-Asian feeeling that you can get in the UK is not yet here .
The Asians from the Far east are getting a little stick because of the vast numbers arriving but the coloured Indians are more than welcome.

Old Jul 15th 2003, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

I have several Indian clients (from India proper) and Fijian Indians here in Australia.

They are all in senior positions in the companies they work for and from conversations that we have had, all of them seem to very well respected and very involved in their communities.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 1:26 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Are people from the country India welcome in Australia?
While discrimination against people of non-Western European descent exists, you should be able to see how welcomed Asians in general are when, for instance, you step into Sydney Airport.

You might find that your bags are searched by an Indian, or that your passport is being examined by one.

Obviously these people are Australian citizens, and I guess they feel welcome enough to take up jobs with the federal government.

Peter
Old Jul 16th 2003, 4:02 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hi Chuckyn,

Wherever you go in the world, there will be a small element of racism......and the uk is particularly bad for this. I just hope you never have to experience it, wherever you end up. Remember though, if you do come across it, these people are in a minority. The majority of people accept and show interest in other cultures, and are far removed from the dregs of society that choose to single out those different from themselves.

good luck wherever you end up, regards, Rich.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 11:53 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ptlabs
While discrimination against people of non-Western European descent exists, you should be able to see how welcomed Asians in general are when, for instance, you step into Sydney Airport.

You might find that your bags are searched by an Indian, or that your passport is being examined by one.

Obviously these people are Australian citizens, and I guess they feel welcome enough to take up jobs with the federal government.

Peter
The two main groups singled out in Australia are Poms and Abos , the other races seen to get a easier ride from the second Gen Aussie .

Old Jul 16th 2003, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pommie bastard
The two main groups singled out in Australia are Poms and Abos , the other races seen to get a easier ride from the second Gen Aussie .

++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would like to appreciate everyone replied for there time and efforts.

I would like to thank special Mr. Rich( its a wise and good suggestion ). THanks to Jayr for the stats.
Old Jul 19th 2003, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

In Brisbane I have noticed that a lot of Indians live around Calamvale.

Personally I think Indians make excellent Australians. They are hard working, well educated, avoid crime and are well respected here. I think this attitude extends to most Australians with Indians seen as good people.

I'm sure you will be welcomed here.

And yes, India is not considered to be Asian in Australia. Indian culture and people are seen as standing in their own right.
Old Jul 20th 2003, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

jery_wang is an unknown quantity at this point

How about Chinese? from Singapore?
Originally posted by pommie bastard

Old Jul 20th 2003, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

I personally have a few friends chinese from Singapore. They are polite,friendly and soft natured. Apparently, they will gain all respect with all that warm welcome.

Originally posted by jery_wang
Old Jul 21st 2003, 12:42 pm
Banned

Originally posted by jery_wang
Many own land and homes in Perth also live here no problems.

Old Jul 21st 2003, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Indians get 10/10 from me, but probably more like 5/10 from oz in general. Indians are respected for their industry, intelligence (by those who can recognise intelligence), and friendy attitude. Good luck in Oz chuckyn but be aware that you may well end up driving a cab even if you have good qualifications because many immigrants, especially those with less than perfect English, do end up in jobs like that. Have a good read on the net on the experiences of Indians in Oz - type some phrases like "indian immigrants", etc. into a search engine or into the search boxes on ozzie newspaper sites and have a look at the experiences of your countrymen before making such a big move. I am sorry but you may find it a disappointing move if you end up in a job you hate in such an ordinary country as Oz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.