Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

People I need to notify before I go - if any?

People I need to notify before I go - if any?

Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default People I need to notify before I go - if any?

As I'm currently waiting for my CO to notice my meds have been finalised and him to give me my visa, I've got some things I need cleared so I know what I've got to do and whether I should book my flight.

What needs sorting before I go? Do I have to tell anyone I'm going to Oz?

I plan to go and see how I get on for 6 months, and then decide if I'm going to stay or not.
I moved back to my parents house at the weekend, so all my stuff is there, and my bank accounts etc are all registered there. So all my post will go there, and my Mum can scan and email anything important for me.

Do I have to notify anyone I'm leaving? Or is it as easy as setting up an Oz bank account, transfering the money, booking flights, sorting sending a few belongings over, and then going?!?!

If after 6 months, I decide to stay for good, I can get anything I need sent out to me etc.

Any advice?
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People I need to notify before I go - if any?

Originally Posted by xzibit
As I'm currently waiting for my CO to notice my meds have been finalised and him to give me my visa, I've got some things I need cleared so I know what I've got to do and whether I should book my flight.

I plan to go and see how I get on for 6 months, and then decide if I'm going to stay or not.
I moved back to my parents house at the weekend, so all my stuff is there, and my bank accounts etc are all registered there. So all my post will go there, and my Mum can scan and email anything important for me.

Do I have to notify anyone I'm leaving? Or is it as easy as setting up an Oz bank account, transfering the money, booking flights, sorting sending a few belongings over, and then going?!?!

If after 6 months, I decide to stay for good, I can get anything I need sent out to me etc.

Any advice?
Have a look through the top tips threads here -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345774
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice?
It might be an idea to give your Mum Power of Attorney just in case you don't want to go back. She can then close bank accounts, or sort out any problems you may have with bills or whatever.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have a look through the top tips threads here -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345774
Thanks pollyana, I had already read them, but as I don't want to completely cut myself off from coming back then I didn't know what was a MUST if you get me.

I've seen it's an idea to tell the tax people, that I probably don't plan on coming back before April?!

Originally Posted by Wendy
It might be an idea to give your Mum Power of Attorney just in case you don't want to go back. She can then close bank accounts, or sort out any problems you may have with bills or whatever.
Can I do that at a later date by putting it in writing? Or must I do it before I leave?

I presume that quite a bit, I can sort when I'm in Oz if need be, and get my Mum to sort it from the UK end.

Do I need to take medical notes out with me and that? Or can I literally arrive with some clothes, my bike and my xbox, and carry on as normal?
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks pollyana, I had already read them, but as I don't want to completely cut myself off from coming back then I didn't know what was a MUST if you get me.

I've seen it's an idea to tell the tax people, that I probably don't plan on coming back before April?!

Can I do that at a later date by putting it in writing? Or must I do it before I leave?

I presume that quite a bit, I can sort when I'm in Oz if need be, and get my Mum to sort it from the UK end.

Do I need to take medical notes out with me and that? Or can I literally arrive with some clothes, my bike and my xbox, and carry on as normal?
I think you would have to be present to give your Mum power of attorney, or you could open a joint bank account - it's just in case really. If there's a problem with something it's not so easy to sort out from this side of the world

As for the rest, we brought nothing at all except clothes and photos. Have never had a problem (except with the bank - HSBC) I didn't bring medical records and I have some issues that need regular care - doctor didn't even want to know he did his own tests based on what I told him
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Right. Anything I have missed out?

To do list for Oz

• Book flight and get travel insurance

• Hand in notice at work

• Open Commonwealth bank account

• Close unwanted bank accounts - keep main one open

• Register with OzForex and transfer money

• Arrange to send things with excess baggage

• Fill out form P85 and send to Inland Revenue

• Cancel specsavers and car insurance

• Freeze pension

• Cancel phone contract, move number to payg