Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pensions - Someone must know?

Wikiposts

Pensions - Someone must know?

Old Oct 8th 2003, 1:19 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

[i] - but I would urge those who are moving to Australia to not ignore the issue in the belief the tax issues will go away. They won't, and it might be an expensive mistake.

Best regards.
I wasn't trying to ignore a tax issue, just trying to cut down on the seemingly endless, massive pile of paperwork that i have to do already before leaving the country. I am self employed and have had to do end of year, and cessation and all other forms you could think of. Hence sorting out the transfer of a crappy, money loosing pension is not priority! But thanks for the advice, as ever
Old Oct 8th 2003, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point

I read somewhere that if your family's combined pensions are worth less than a certain amount, or they are company sponsored you are exempt from the FIF tax implications. Is that true???

Cheers,

C.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 12:52 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, if the value of your and your "associates" (as defined) FIFs plus Australian resident unit trust holdings is less than A$50,000 you can qualify for the small investor exemption.

There is also an exemption from the FIF Rules for employer sponsored superannuation funds.

What is unclear is which exemption applies first. For example, if you have employer sponsored super funds with a value of A$40,000 and (say) an endowment policy with a value of A$20,000, is the endowment policy exempt from the FIF Rules?

I have sent a letter to the ATO asking for guidance on this issue, and I will put a news item on the Go Matilda site in due course.

Note also that the FIF Rules are separate from section 27CAA - the former can affect you if you leave your pension funds and investments outside Australia while the latter only affects pension transfers into Australia.

Best regards.

Originally posted by cruisey
I read somewhere that if your family's combined pensions are worth less than a certain amount, or they are company sponsored you are exempt from the FIF tax implications. Is that true???

Cheers,

C.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Alan. I'd be really interested to know what the ATO say. If you let us know I'd be really grateful.

Thanks for your help.

C.