Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Peeps who've moved to Adelaide!

Peeps who've moved to Adelaide!

Old Jul 25th 2007, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Peeps who've moved to Adelaide!

.... would love to hear your stories, good, bad or indifferent!
For those of us who are planning ( or trying to plan!) a move ,your advice is invaluable. Thank you in anticipation!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:06 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peeps who've moved to Adelaide!

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
For those of us who are planning ( or trying to plan!) a move ,your advice is invaluable. Thank you in anticipation!
Try here you will get more info,
http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits
...........mm
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sally Claire

We've been in Adelaide for over a year now and so far things have been pretty good.

We have put some of our experiences on a blog and you can view it by clicking on the link in my signature.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Graham
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:16 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

We love it here been here just six months, and the kids have settled so quickly making friends and both into really good schools!!

Property wise what you get for your money is very good, and lots of things to do and see as a family which is great!!

Many different areas to live, many prefer the South near the beaches etc but we are in the North East area and really like it, people really friendly and an area we feel really safe in!!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

hi

weve been here for 6 months too
pros people very friendly ,some lovely areas to live,cheap housing,nice beaches
cons in my opinion only the weather.cold in winter for 4 months.you need good heating
Old Jul 27th 2007, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Passionate Pom will become famous soon enoughPassionate Pom will become famous soon enough

Were here in Adelaide too. Been here nearly 2 years now and love it.Were in the south and like others have said you get sooo much for your money.Weve also got a new shopping mall recently opened up close by so all you need is all at hand.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here for just over a year. We all settled in pretty easily and couldn't imagine being anywhere else.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Passionate Pom
Were here in Adelaide too. Been here nearly 2 years now and love it.Were in the south and like others have said you get sooo much for your money.Weve also got a new shopping mall recently opened up close by so all you need is all at hand.

We're newbies - been here for 7 weeks now.We were forced to go on a 495 visa- hence coming here.We had wanted to go to Brisbane - having been there before,but we're really glad we didn't.We much prefer Adelaide - hubby has just got a job on his first interview . when he went for the interview - we were disappointed with his wages - he accepted the job -just to get some aussie work experience - went back to fill forms in,talk about the job etc- and they upped his wages by $200 a week ,plus bonuses.We're well chuffed.
Okay the local beaches don't blow you away like Queensland, but the city is lovely,shops are good and there seems to be lots of jobs around.Houses are pretty affordable and the schools are good.
We're as happy as pigs in muck!
Nick
Old Jul 27th 2007, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellie10990
hi

weve been here for 6 months too
pros people very friendly ,some lovely areas to live,cheap housing,nice beaches
cons in my opinion only the weather.cold in winter for 4 months.you need good heating
Maybe in comparison with the Gold Coast, but if you came from Britain where normally it's cold for 8 months, then you got a good deal, no?

Also as you might be following, this year we have not had a summer at all. We are enduring a low pressure system and it has rained or been overcast just about every single day since the heatwave of July 2006. We have been warned by the Met Office not to expect a summer this year, and worse still, that there is no reason to suspect that next year wil be any better as this could easily be a long-term trend.

A four month winter sounds good to me.

Also, I don't know how long you've been in Australia, but I couldn't think of anything worse than twelve successive Australian Januarys!

I add in edit: sorry - you say you've been in the country six months.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick11
We're newbies - been here for 7 weeks now.We were forced to go on a 495 visa- hence coming here.We had wanted to go to Brisbane - having been there before,but we're really glad we didn't.We much prefer Adelaide - hubby has just got a job on his first interview . when he went for the interview - we were disappointed with his wages - he accepted the job -just to get some aussie work experience - went back to fill forms in,talk about the job etc- and they upped his wages by $200 a week ,plus bonuses.We're well chuffed.
Okay the local beaches don't blow you away like Queensland, but the city is lovely,shops are good and there seems to be lots of jobs around.Houses are pretty affordable and the schools are good.
We're as happy as pigs in muck!
Nick

Excellent news on the Job mate

Originally Posted by Tableland
Maybe in comparison with the Gold Coast, but if you came from Britain where normally it's cold for 8 months, then you got a good deal, no?

Also as you might be following, this year we have not had a summer at all. We are enduring a low pressure system and it has rained or been overcast just about every single day since the heatwave of July 2006. We have been warned by the Met Office not to expect a summer this year, and worse still, that there is no reason to suspect that next year wil be any better as this could easily be a long-term trend.

A four month winter sounds good to me.

Also, I don't know how long you've been in Australia, but I couldn't think of anything worse than twelve successive Australian Januarys!

I add in edit: sorry - you say you've been in the country six months.
It's bloody freezing here.

I still find it quite weird because in the UK our house temp was set at 18 degrees and we were quite warm, now 18 degrees is freezing cold.

The winter is nice at first after the really hot summer, really refreshing to be cold again. But then after the first 4 weeks you just want the sun back. My favourite time of year so far has to be late Autumn. I wouldn't like 12 February's (which are way hotter than Jan) though.

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, I have my lovely woodburner to keep me hot in the winter, and my lovely pool to keep me cool in the summer - well happy

I agree about the UK bit
Old Jul 27th 2007, 8:46 am
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

We have been here in Adelaide for 7 years now.

Love it - Not a big city at all (which I hate).

It has everything we need
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

mad scots is an unknown quantity at this point

We are moving over on the 31st August, hubby got a job with sponsorship, cant wait, sold the house in Scotland, and moving into serviced apartment until we find somewhere to live/rent.