PC TV Cards

Old Dec 11th 2003, 2:52 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road
Default PC TV Cards

Probably a stoopid question: are computer tv cards sold in the UK compatible with Aussie TV? i.e. PAL D or whatever it is?

Cheers
Old Dec 11th 2003, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of
Default Re: PC TV Cards

Originally posted by Houdini
Probably a stoopid question: are computer tv cards sold in the UK compatible with Aussie TV? i.e. PAL D or whatever it is?

Cheers
Ooh! Good Question.

You'll definitely get a picture, but you may have to add commentary yourself as the Aussies broadcast their sound signal on a different frequency range to us.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 3:23 pm
Free at last!

Originally posted by CHnJ
Ooh! Good Question.

You'll definitely get a picture, but you may have to add commentary yourself as the Aussies broadcast their sound signal on a different frequency range to us.
Cheers CHnJ - Just as I suspected.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

http://www.accesscomms.com.au/austv.htm covers the ranges you need, so you can check the card spec. It also says Aussie TV channels broadcast FM radio, so you could tune into that on a radio while watching your PC picture. Good enough for sports and news I'd guess.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 4:19 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Houdini

Cheers
The Win-TV card that I use scans all frequencies for every country, Aus included, so is universal. I can even pick up all the freebie cable channels on it. The feed to my PC is fed through the Sky box and video as well, so I've got a whole entertainment centre going on here!

Steve.
Old Dec 12th 2003, 8:36 am
Free at last!

Originally posted by SteveBannister
The Win-TV card that I use scans all frequencies for every country, Aus included, so is universal. I can even pick up all the freebie cable channels on it. The feed to my PC is fed through the Sky box and video as well, so I've got a whole entertainment centre going on here!

Steve.
Steve,

Sounds like yours cost more than I'm willing to spend - I've been looking at a £40 one (Leadtek Winfast 2000), although you can't get the freeview channels. Cheers for the info.

Colin
Old Dec 12th 2003, 11:28 am
Badge

that's how you scanned those rugby pics so quick, Steve!!

Old Dec 12th 2003, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

graham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura about

Can anyone tell me if my telly will work in OZ
It is multistandard and I can select euro B/G as the standard.
thanks
Old Dec 14th 2003, 1:07 am
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

Where you're intending to live is actually quite relevant - if you live in a metropolitan area you will more than likely have access to cable. Cable outputs from the box include composite video and 2 channel sound (a yellow and then white and red terminals)- any relatively modern tv can accept these and will basically be acting as a large monitor.
If you're not planning to subscribe to cable (or satellite) and are going to be relying on the traditional aerial + built in tuner you may well run into difficulties as sound in Oz is encoded on a different frequency to the UK. I've got cable and have my tv hooked up in this way, the cable network carries all the free terrestrial channels as well as cable only so I don't have any wall aerial at all.

One last thing that's worth knowing. Your UK TV will probably die faster out here than it would have done in the UK. TV screens and CRT computer monitors are built as either northern hemisphere or southern hemisphere standard - it's all to do with compensating for the direction of magnetic field lines as they head to to the magnetic poles. If you use a tv in the "wrong" location you won't see any appreciable difference at the start, but the colours will go weird and the thing will pack up much sooner than it would have done otherwise.

Last edited by NoodleSYD; Dec 14th 2003 at 1:11 am.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 7:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by NoodleSYD
One last thing that's worth knowing. Your UK TV will probably die faster out here than it would have done in the UK. TV screens and CRT computer monitors are built as either northern hemisphere or southern hemisphere standard - it's all to do with compensating for the direction of magnetic field lines as they head to to the magnetic poles. If you use a tv in the "wrong" location you won't see any appreciable difference at the start, but the colours will go weird and the thing will pack up much sooner than it would have done otherwise.
Thanks for that info Noodles, it explains what happened to my TV.

It cost us about $60 to get our old one converted to actually work here, and then it only lasted a little while.

Best to buy a new one when you get here, you can get a 68cm TV from about $549. Maybe even less.

Old Dec 14th 2003, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm hoping when we get to Oz not to be spending anything like as much time watching the boob tube as we could here!