pc parts

Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about
Default pc parts

Hi All,

Just a quick questions as to shipping a PC out to Australia, I am thinking of stripping mine down and buying a case out there.

Has anyone had any problems with PC parts going through customs etc?

Regards
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

chris_de is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: pc parts

Originally Posted by Gethy
Hi All,
Has anyone had any problems with PC parts going through customs etc?
Regards
Years ago I took my computer from Aus to Europe but that was before toenail clippers started being confiscated as a deadly weapon.

I think the biggest problem you will have either in hand luggage or normal bags is that the computer may be thought to be a bomb. But in this case you will have more problems getting onto the plane than through customs.

Customs in Australia are hard sometimes, what will they make of you coming through with a jumble of electronic parts? If they don't get confused by that but are having a bad day, they may want to slap customs duty on top so it would be a good idea to have your receipts of purchase to show that you have possesed the computer for a significant amount of time and are not just sneaking it in as a 'luxury' item.

Customs website
http://www.customs.gov.au

have a chat to the airline as well, maybe they will have some advice to help you package and lable it as to avoid problems later.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chris_de
Years ago I took my computer from Aus to Europe but that was before toenail clippers started being confiscated as a deadly weapon.

I think the biggest problem you will have either in hand luggage or normal bags is that the computer may be thought to be a bomb. But in this case you will have more problems getting onto the plane than through customs.

Customs in Australia are hard sometimes, what will they make of you coming through with a jumble of electronic parts? If they don't get confused by that but are having a bad day, they may want to slap customs duty on top so it would be a good idea to have your receipts of purchase to show that you have possesed the computer for a significant amount of time and are not just sneaking it in as a 'luxury' item.

Customs website
http://www.customs.gov.au

have a chat to the airline as well, maybe they will have some advice to help you package and lable it as to avoid problems later.
Good Points,

I would package them up and put them in the hold luggage, but i will contact the airlines.

Just wondered what they did with Laptops as they are basically a jumble of electronic parts.

thanks
Old Nov 4th 2005, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

chris_de is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gethy
I would package them up and put them in the hold luggage, but i will contact the airlines.
Good idea. Maybe you have a special luggage pickup point. I just thought.. the temperatue down their can get mighty cold, maybe below freezing??? Would that have any effect on the battery in the computer... or any other parts.

Just wondered what they did with Laptops as they are basically a jumble of electronic parts.
True.. but an ideal travelling device. I must admit, I have never put my laptop through an X-Ray.... any chance of loosing data through an x-ray. For the luggage hold the X-Ray machines are meant to be more powerfull... does this mean more rish of data loss.

note.... backup the hard drives !!!
Old Nov 4th 2005, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Good idea. Maybe you have a special luggage pickup point. I just thought.. the temperatue down their can get mighty cold, maybe below freezing??? Would that have any effect on the battery in the computer... or any other parts.

True.. but an ideal travelling device. I must admit, I have never put my laptop through an X-Ray.... any chance of loosing data through an x-ray. For the luggage hold the X-Ray machines are meant to be more powerfull... does this mean more rish of data loss.

Hmmm,

No idea on the freezing effect, so use to pumping extra voltage through my CPU and having to put extra cooling in, so i know the max high temps

As for xray I have no idea but you have raised some good points, cheers.

Regards
Old Nov 4th 2005, 3:21 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Hi Chris & Gethy,

X-Rays may damage photographic film but will not pose a risk to the data on your hard drive. Magnetic fields will corrupt the data on your hard drive.

All is explained here and here.

Cheers

Rich