Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PC ? or Laptop Purchase?

PC ? or Laptop Purchase?

Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PC ? or Laptop Purchase?

What would you do in this scenerio folks ?

Arrive in OZ (not taking home PC or any container -not cost effective ), going into rented accomodation for at least 6 months..

Purchase a laptop ( and would this then be dial up ? )

Purchase a PC in Oz and try and get broadband ( is this costly compared to PC World ??

Hmmmmmmmmmm....a dilemma

Dave
Oldham
Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:17 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: PC ? or Laptop Purchase?

Originally Posted by mindblower

Arrive in OZ (not taking home PC or any container -not cost effective ), going into rented accomodation for at least 6 months..

Purchase a PC in Oz and try and get broadband ( is this costly compared to PC World ??

Hmmmmmmmmmm....a dilemma

Dave
Oldham
Hi Dave

I used to be a die hard desktop PC user (sounds like I'm doing drugs) and always sniffed at purchasing a laptop, you'll never convince me into buying a laptop I said......HOW WRONG!!! A laptop is one of the best buys I've ever done. It keeps the missus happy as I can nod in agreement to any trivia she is throwing at me etc etc..and be in the same room also, nice one.
It does everything me old PC does, even games, not that I do that much these days. The spec on a laptop nowadays is extremely good.
From what I've read there are a few broadband suppliers so that shouldn't be a problem, some of the locals will put you straight on that. You can have broadband on your laptop

Cheers mate

Rich
Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

Smile Re: PC ? or Laptop Purchase?

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Hi Dave

I used to be a die hard desktop PC user (sounds like I'm doing drugs) and always sniffed at purchasing a laptop, you'll never convince me into buying a laptop I said......HOW WRONG!!! A laptop is one of the best buys I've ever done. It keeps the missus happy as I can nod in agreement to any trivia she is throwing at me etc etc..and be in the same room also, nice one.
It does everything me old PC does, even games, not that I do that much these days. The spec on a laptop nowadays is extremely good.
From what I've read there are a few broadband suppliers so that shouldn't be a problem, some of the locals will put you straight on that. You can have broadband on your laptop

Cheers mate

Rich
Cheers Rich
Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

I have a laptop would never go back to PC. Love sitting with it on the sofa in comfort in the warm, TV to the front, telephone to the side. Not missing out on anything....
Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you say the laptop would be on dial up? As long as it's wireless enabled (and I wouldn't bother buying one that isn't) - all you need to do once you're set up with a broadband provider is to get yourself a wireless router. You can then access the internet wherever in your house you are.

Laptops are generally MUCH more expensive compared to desktop PC's but lets be honest - hardly anyone needs the performance of a 4 GHz machine do they?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by marco121068
Why do you say the laptop would be on dial up? As long as it's wireless enabled (and I wouldn't bother buying one that isn't) - all you need to do once you're set up with a broadband provider is to get yourself a wireless router. You can then access the internet wherever in your house you are.

Laptops are generally MUCH more expensive compared to desktop PC's but lets be honest - hardly anyone needs the performance of a 4 GHz machine do they?
Wasnt sure re wireless bb with laptops cheers.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflower7
I have a laptop would never go back to PC. Love sitting with it on the sofa in comfort in the warm, TV to the front, telephone to the side. Not missing out on anything....
Same here,

Weve got both But prefer the laptop
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

viccollie has a spectacular aura aboutviccollie has a spectacular aura aboutviccollie has a spectacular aura about

get yourself a cheap 2nd hand laptop from that well known auction site before you go then you'll be good to go straight away on dial up and can get a broadband modem for it or a desktop when you get to Aus.

I've bought 2 laptops now and they've both been great for just paperwork stuff, watching dvds and internet if I'm away form home and my broadband. They won't all have the longest lasting batteries but you can work them connected to the electric at home no worries and easier to move with than desktop. We've got all our visa app stuff backed up on the laptop to take with us, when we ever get our visa, including copies of our mortgage stuff, P60s etcto print out as we need them, nice!! better than files of paper anytime!
Claire
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:20 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: PC ? or Laptop Purchase?

Originally Posted by viccollie
get yourself a cheap 2nd hand laptop from that well known auction site before you go then you'll be good to go straight away on dial up and can get a broadband modem for it or a desktop when you get to Aus.

I've bought 2 laptops now and they've both been great for just paperwork stuff, watching dvds and internet if I'm away form home and my broadband. They won't all have the longest lasting batteries but you can work them connected to the electric at home no worries and easier to move with than desktop. We've got all our visa app stuff backed up on the laptop to take with us, when we ever get our visa, including copies of our mortgage stuff, P60s etcto print out as we need them, nice!! better than files of paper anytime!
Claire
Should have a few old laptops up for sale soon (approx 100) and I was going to put them on the 'Classifieds' bit when they are ready.

Ideal if you are shipping your desktops etc and as they would be cheap and ready to use when you arrive in Oz.

We were going to put them on Ebay but thought if we do it on here then people wont be charged and nore will we etc.

You can trust me too, I mean........its not as though I'm leaving the country or anything ! ! !

Watch this space eh!

R.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:44 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Bites tongue !

Regards lappys, they are the mode of convenience. My wife loves hers, and swears buy it, I on the other hand am a die hard Tower man.

The main problem I see with Laptops, is expansion. They are very expensive to expand, and future proof.

We bought debs lappy the cheapest hi-performance one from pcworld in uk, its 3 ghz and shes had it now 2 years !!!!

In oz, theyve just begun to get hi end lappys, but you pay for it.

If laptops are your THANG get one in the uk , play with it for a month or two, chuck as much money as you can afford into your purchase, and should doya for ages.

Steve
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Hmmmmmmmmmm....a dilemma

Dave
Oldham
we got a i b m T 23 thinkpad off ebay for £300 and a lan card for £10 off ebay i will never go back to a desk top pc.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:49 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

You can get 6mth broadband and they'll charge you about 150$ to move to a new property or other providers will give you a reduction if you move to them - on their websites its called churning. You might pay 1mth too much by the time they install it and you move out etc but 30$ a mth is normal and for that its worth it mate - broadband is beaut compared to clunky dialup.

Wireless is easy peasy out of the box from the PC shop and its a godsend. The same router will work at your apt with your next broadband supplier so dont worry about that they're compatible with all. And with broadband wireless you can have more than one pc around the place sharing it, work inthe garden, etc.... Dont compromise go forit , you wont look back.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmmmmmmm....a dilemma

Dave
Oldham
Hi Dave

I would buy a laptop over here comet do them for about £500 and have built in centrino so you could work it on broadband wireless,plus it would be easier to fit in your hand luggage if not using a container to take your stuff over . You would have to get a new power lead or adapter though so dont forget.

Paul
Old Oct 4th 2005, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carruss
Should have a few old laptops up for sale soon (approx 100) and I was going to put them on the 'Classifieds' bit when they are ready.

Ideal if you are shipping your desktops etc and as they would be cheap and ready to use when you arrive in Oz.

We were going to put them on Ebay but thought if we do it on here then people wont be charged and nore will we etc.

You can trust me too, I mean........its not as though I'm leaving the country or anything ! ! !

Watch this space eh!

R.
Not being nosey, well, ok, I am ! Why have you got 100 laptops to sell ?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
Not being nosey, well, ok, I am ! Why have you got 100 laptops to sell ?
I agree i wonder if expats get discount??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.