PB and very sad people

Wikiposts

PB and very sad people

Old Aug 23rd 2003, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PB and very sad people

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I reckon that's a bit harsh. Has he failed because he worked 9 years in Aus? And decided to go back to the UK?
Yes. It took NINE YEARS for him to get off his arse and do something about his situation.
So the only way he would have been a success is if he loved Australia?
No of course not.

Not my definition of failure. Failure surely would be not taking the plunge in the first place because you haven't got the balls to do it, failure would be not establishing a load of mates in your new country, failure would be not managing to get new roots (job, keeping family together, taking an interest in what's going in in your new country etc).
Agreed.

PB doesn't seem to be guilty of any of that. He is just fed up with Perth and Australia.

Probably wants to spend a bit more time with his son and his son's family in the UK - where's the harm in that?
Right now I think PB is thinking 'Why the hell didn't I come back sooner?' Rather than do something about his situation after a reasonable length of time (2 Years, IMHO) he did nothing but whinge (and give us a good laugh in the process) for the remaining time.

Generally, we all on this ng hope to settle at our destination - as that means we're happy there. But of course it may not work out. If that's the case I'm sure as hell going to make sure the same attitude that got me there in the first place is not going to be so drained that I can't find it in me to move on - and I certainly won't sit and whinge to folks I don't even know (just plain daft - what's there to gain?).

PB has a redeeming factor though. He's finally got off his arse and done something. Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

I reckon that's a bit harsh.
And besides, stop being so wet Don. PB can dish it out and I'm quite sure he can take it aswell - but hopefully he won't even give a toss.
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

personally i don't think 2 years is long enough..

my mate from south africa recons that 7 years for another country
3 years for another part of the same country..

seems fair to me

cheers

richard
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: PB and very sad people

I reckon that's a bit harsh. Has he failed because he worked 9 years in Aus? And decided to go back to the UK?

So the only way he would have been a success is if he loved Australia?

Not my definition of failure. Failure surely would be not taking the plunge in the first place because you haven't got the balls to do it, failure would be not establishing a load of mates in your new country, failure would be not managing to get new roots (job, keeping family together, taking an interest in what's going in in your new country etc).

PB doesn't seem to be guilty of any of that. He is just fed up with Perth and Australia.

Probably wants to spend a bit more time with his son and his son's family in the UK - where's the harm in that?
My sentiments exactly Don.

New / prospective immigrants are always very quick to condemn those who don't embrace their choice of destination as "failures".
Mainly because it does not validate their own decision and makes them afraid of failing themselves.
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Sunlover
New / prospective immigrants are always very quick to condemn those who don't embrace their choice of destination as "failures".
Mainly because it does not validate their own decision and makes them afraid of failing themselves.
Nope, still missing the point Sunlover.

PB hasn't liked it in Perth for a long time but did nothing.

If after a given time (I mentioned 2 years earlier) I realised the destination wasn't for me, I would deem my move to still be a success if I did something about it. I may even dislike it for the very same reasons PB mentions. The difference between success and failure is what you do about your situation.

There's been some great posts from people who have returned after 2 or 3 years and have taken the time to explain to us all why it wasn't for them. In most cases they seem happier than ever after returning. That's not failure. They did something when things weren't as they'd hoped. I'd also guess they're also the ones with no regrets. Do you think PB has regrets?
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by r.bartlett
personally i don't think 2 years is long enough..

my mate from south africa recons that 7 years for another country
3 years for another part of the same country..

seems fair to me

cheers

richard
7 years I find a tad over the top. I agree, 2 years or definitely 1 is not long enough. But much more than 2 would be a waste of time for me. If within two years I haven't managed to settle in, get a job I like or can live with, find a place I like living in and make friends I probably never will, in that place. And would be just freewheeling doing nothing except getting more and more fed up with the place.

I've lived in quite a few places over the years and have either liked them from the word go or settled in quite soon or haven't like them at all.

But then, one can also live in a place and like it initially, things change or go wrong and then one can decide to leave after 3, 5, 9 or however many years without having to be called a failure.

Cheers

sashimi
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

I think those are wise words sashimi. It's certainly the attitude I'm going with.

But here's hoping that it'll be good, and no further decisions need to be made
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 4:02 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by young_lad
And besides, stop being so wet Don. PB can dish it out and I'm quite sure he can take it aswell - but hopefully he won't even give a toss.
Well you can call me wet but I think you're a drip so we're equal.

Listen, pal, I have lived more than 6 years now in a place I am lately not that keen on (in Central Europe) but I am not a failure just because I have failed to move on. (As you may know, moving on is on the agenda - NZ.)

What about my immediate family? As it happens, my wife is probably one of the top 1% executives here as regards pay (and intellect of course) and I am supporting her. (Plus spending all my time drinking beer in the garden ain't too bad.)

What if PB is supporting his wife in her liking of Aus? What if he is loyal to his employer? What if he is in a good well-paid job and worried about finding the equivalent in UK? What if he likes his mates in the OB and golf course etc? Would YOU give it all up without a second thought?
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 4:18 am
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hold on, guys, let me clarify things a bit here.

I am not condemning PB as failure for not making it in Oz or for coming back. These are his prerogatives. But from his comments on here I think it's safe to say his attitude to life stinks. He has consistently blamed everything that has gone wrong for him on -you've guessed it - Australia. Apparently even the weather is crap. A factor that has attracted migrants since time imemorial, but dear me, no. PB knows best I'm certain that anyone of us who has got the gumption to go in the first place, would not start blaming the country as soon as things start to go pear-shaped. You make a go of it wherever you are.

I think there's a lot more to the PB story than we've been told. We are asked to believe that he was duped into going by a friend who turned out to be chronically miserable, and was then "trapped" there for what, 10 years. Sorry, I don't buy it for a minute. Under those circumstances wouldn't you move heaven and and earth to get back, even if it meant going in with the mail sacks!

Seriously though, I have no hard feelings towards the guy, and I hope he makes a success of it back here.

Andy
I think those are wise words sashimi. It's certainly the attitude I'm going with.

But here's hoping that it'll be good, and no further decisions need to be made
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Well you can call me wet but I think you're a drip so we're equal.
Fair enough.

Listen, pal,
You're beginning to sound like PB, but go on....
I have lived more than 6 years now in a place I am lately not that keen on (in Central Europe) but I am not a failure just because I have failed to move on. (As you may know, moving on is on the agenda - NZ.)

What about my immediate family? As it happens, my wife is probably one of the top 1% executives here as regards pay (and intellect of course) and I am supporting her. (Plus spending all my time drinking beer in the garden ain't too bad.)
That great, but I didn't mention your situation or your family.
What if PB is supporting his wife in her liking of Aus? What if he is loyal to his employer? What if he is in a good well-paid job and worried about finding the equivalent in UK? What if he likes his mates in the OB and golf course etc? Would YOU give it all up without a second thought?
Have you been reading the same posts I have? How on earth do come to conclusion that PB was somehow torn in his decision to leave the 'arse end of the planet'?

Maybe success/failure are too strong-a-words. All I'm saying is that I don't want to be in a situation when I'm no longer a Young_Lad where I'm laiden with regrets. At the moment I'll regret it if I don't go now to Australia. If it doesn't work out I still won't regret it. If it's not working out but I stay, then later down the line I know I'll regret not doing something about it when I should have.

(By the way, I think Fergie was sent to the terraces for mouthing off at the ref :lecture: )
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

You got your reply in whilst I was writing my own reply Andy

Now I've read it and I agree. PB has to be applauded for finally doing something that he thinks will improve his enjoyment of life. It's not the returning that I'll ever criticise someone for.

Last edited by young_lad; Aug 23rd 2003 at 4:37 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 4:36 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe success/failure are too strong-a-words. All I'm saying is that I don't want to be in a situation when I'm no longer a Young_Lad where I'm laiden with regrets. At the moment I'll regret it if I don't go now to Australia. If it doesn't work out I still won't regret it. If it's not working out but I stay, then later down the line I know I'll regret not doing something about it when I should have.
Well I guess you will just do it and good luck to you. How old are you? I guess 32 just for the sake of argument. PB was I suppose 38 when he went to Aus, I reckon that is borderline between youth and middle age. Not much older than you. But closer to expanding waistline-ville.

As you get older (I am a sad old fart of 40) you slow down in lots of ways, I don't mean you will accept a rotten situation more willingly but you are more phlegmatic about life and concentrate a bit more on what really matters (family, beer etc).

So maybe PB's 9 years in Aus are easier to understand? He was probably only genuinely fed up in the last couple of years.
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

But closer to expanding waistline-ville.

As you get older (I am a sad old fart of 40) you slow down in lots of ways, I don't mean you will accept a rotten situation more willingly but you are more phlegmatic about life and concentrate a bit more on what really matters (family, beer etc).

So maybe PB's 9 years in Aus are easier to understand? He was probably only genuinely fed up in the last couple of years.
If you're right, then I'll have to wait a while to agree with you.

I've said my piece now so I'll get off my soapbox.

Here's to PB
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 5:22 am
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03
Well I disagree with a lot of people, and have had incredible face to face confrontations in the work place that have left me shaken. I have however, for the most part held no grudges, and it has never stopped me from honestly wishing someone well for the future.

By the way, the boss of my local nick was shot dead yesterday, a good man and father. Welcome to my Australia.

You're one of the more intelligent, honest and funny people on this ng. I think australia will miss you...
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 5:28 am
Just Joined

britdan is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, age has a lot to do with it, I know if I was retired, had a nice little nest egg £££, and wanted to settle in a nice house by the sea, I would absolutely Love Australia to relax in, spend my days sipping cold wine, hearing the waves crash and the warm sun all year round, would be heaven. But as I am 25 years old , in ill health and keen on a good career and strong business opportunities, this wouldnt be the place for me, what maybe paradise for one, can be hell for another.

For any young backpackers, who want to spend a few months travelling , relaxing by the sea Austalia is an ideal place to relax, and spend sometime away from the 9-5 , take timeout, but dont expect to emmigrate with a well paying job, and the prospects you would get in the UK.

As I see it, it is much easier to fly out for a couple of weeks in the sun and sea
but much harder to fly out for a couple of years and establish a career and security.

Australia is a holiday destination, and it would be unfair to demand anymore out of it than that, which is what I learnt, everything is a learning experience in life, and I'm glad i took the opportunity to learn, i may of ended up not liking perth, like PB, but at least we gave it a go, which in my eyes certainly isnt failure
PB didnt fail, he just outgrew Perth and Australia and decided it was time to move on

Last edited by britdan; Aug 23rd 2003 at 5:31 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.