Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Payments for those with children.

Payments for those with children.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 5:20 am
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future
Default Payments for those with children.

As we are not a rich family we have been looking at the various benefits and help available.
We discovered that if you have children you get an annual payment and on the birth of a new child you get a one off payment.
Can anyone priovide any information (Or a link) as we are having trouble finding anything on the net.

Thanks to those who are able to help.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 5:55 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Payments for those with children.

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Duck
As we are not a rich family we have been looking at the various benefits and help available.
We discovered that if you have children you get an annual payment and on the birth of a new child you get a one off payment.
Can anyone priovide any information (Or a link) as we are having trouble finding anything on the net.

Some links and info are on this page: http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/info_benefits.htm

Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:25 am
Going to Perth late 2005

timk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Some links and info are on this page: http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/info_benefits.htm

great links, thats the rest of my day at work sorted

cheers
Tim
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:19 am
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by timk
great links, thats the rest of my day at work sorted

cheers
Tim
Thanks for your links. We already receive family tax benefit and parenting payment. What we are trying to confirm is if there is any truth in what I was told at work about a one off payment for new babies and an annual payment for all other children?
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:31 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks for your links. We already receive family tax benefit and parenting payment. What we are trying to confirm is if there is any truth in what I was told at work about a one off payment for new babies and an annual payment for all other children?
There is currently an additional $613.20 per child for the 2004-05 income year, payable after your Tax Return is lodged. This figure is included in the annual FTB rates quoted by Centrelink. (This could end at an time though, so I don't often like to mention it)

There is a baby bonus, but I have just read conflicting information on the ATO site.
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...18&mfp=001/002
How much baby bonus you get depends on your own taxable income each year
and
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...18&mfp=001/002
The baby bonus is paid whether or not you currently get any other family benefits – for example, maternity allowance – and it is not income tested.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:37 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Parents of New babies born in OZ are getting about $3,000 one off payment that is going to be graduated up to $7,000 over the next 2-3 years. At least that's my understanding from what I have seen in the media.

Infact it may well have passed the $3,000 starting point already. They are trying to encourage more women to have children so as to offset the expected drain on the state in old age pensions. Theory being if you have more kids born now, in 20 yrs time they will help pay for the old age pensions through their taxation.

Think you have to apply to centrelink for these one off payments
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:46 am
ABCDiamond

It was difficult to find on the centrelink website but here it is:
Centrelink Maternity Benefit

How much Maternity Payment do I get?
This payment rate is effective from 20 March 2005 and is only paid for babies born or adopted on or after July 1 2004.
Maternity Payment is paid as a non-taxable lump sum payment.
Payment is made into a bank or credit union account and not through the tax system.

This payment is not subject to an income test.
This payment is not subject to an assets test.

Lump Sum Payment Amount Per child $3,079.00

Note:For multiple births, maternity payment is paid for each child. For example, twins attract two payments of Maternity Payment ($6,158).

Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:58 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It was difficult to find on the centrelink website but here it is:
Centrelink Maternity Benefit

How much Maternity Payment do I get?
This payment rate is effective from 20 March 2005 and is only paid for babies born or adopted on or after July 1 2004.
Maternity Payment is paid as a non-taxable lump sum payment.
Payment is made into a bank or credit union account and not through the tax system.

This payment is not subject to an income test.
This payment is not subject to an assets test.

Lump Sum Payment Amount Per child $3,079.00

Note:For multiple births, maternity payment is paid for each child. For example, twins attract two payments of Maternity Payment ($6,158).
ABC You are one of the most helpful people on this forum Your reputation is well deserved. I am amazed at the info you are able to come up with. They should make you a moderator.

Go to ABC's reply and hit the karma button on the left. He deserves it, and i have given very recently
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kiwichild
ABC You are one of the most helpful people on this forum Your reputation is well deserved. I am amazed at the info you are able to come up with. They should make you a moderator.

Go to ABC's reply and hit the karma button on the left. He deserves it, and i have given very recently
Thank you - But Moderator !! No way !! That means controlling things, and I don't want that anymore

I've lived my life finding info, and normally acting on it for money, but now I just find it and give it away It's much more fun

Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Parents of New babies born in OZ are getting about $3,000 one off payment that is going to be graduated up to $7,000 over the next 2-3 years. At least that's my understanding from what I have seen in the media.
Temporary residents are excluded from these payments (as the children are not citizens).

Jeremy
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
This is the link I posted a few weeks ago, it helps you work out how much you are entitled to as a permanent resident