Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PAYING VAT ON GOODS WE SHIPPING OUT TO OZ?

PAYING VAT ON GOODS WE SHIPPING OUT TO OZ?

Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice
Default PAYING VAT ON GOODS WE SHIPPING OUT TO OZ?

Hi Guys

I have just had a shipping agent in who advised me that if we buy new goods here i.e. white goods we were able to claim back the VAT is this the case please?

If so, as anybody done this and how do you go about claiming back the VAT. Only I am looking to buy some new goods before I head out there.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Debbie
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:33 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PAYING VAT ON GOODS WE SHIPPING OUT TO OZ?

Why would you buy new goods before heading out here ? This might stir up a whole hornets nest, but I have read many tails of woe regarding prices being way higher here than in the UK, but in my experience it's just not true. I was over in Manchester just after Xmas and the prices on teh high street are similar for most things, but are often cheaper here in Oz if you shop around. In some cases pounds for dollars.

Overall the cost of living here is cheaper than UK, some things higher and some things lower. The exchange rate is in your favor right now which may give you a small advantage, but for most things I would say just buy when you get here. Also it's better for the Australian economy of you spend you money here
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

joquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nice

Cost of living in WA is way higher than UK
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

If the goods are that new then you might be charged GST and Duty on arrival here.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve2009
If the goods are that new then you might be charged GST and Duty on arrival here.
That's exceptionally unlikely though if you are only importing the average looking contents of a home. Container full of fridges would indeed tweak the interest of Customs... single fridge, even if new, is not going to interest them.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:09 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

I think the biggest problem you might have is showing the goods to the people at the airport if they ask to see them.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
That's exceptionally unlikely though if you are only importing the average looking contents of a home. Container full of fridges would indeed tweak the interest of Customs... single fridge, even if new, is not going to interest them.
That's true, I was just thinking that re-claiming VAT on export would attract attention? Customs check very few bags at airports so it could be the same with containers.
Originally Posted by Rambi
I think the biggest problem you might have is showing the goods to the people at the airport if they ask to see them.
Yeah, might have trouble fitting the fridge in the overhead locker.

Last edited by Steve2009; Feb 15th 2011 at 10:11 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:17 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, might have trouble fitting the fridge in the overhead locker.
I'd like to see Tony Ryan making a youtube video of how to do that.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'd like to see Tony Ryan making a youtube video of how to do that.
Mick O'Leary? Don't be giving him ideas!!!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:23 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Mick O'Leary? Don't be giving him ideas!!!
Oops should have spend more time checking the name.

Saw the packing video the other day after they'd bumped 100 Belgians off a flight for bad packing
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oops should have spend more time checking the name.
No worries, Tony Ryan handed the reigns over to the bauld Mick a while before Mick had the brainwave to copy Southwest Airlines. Tony and family are however partly responsible for the joys that are Tiger Airways. Never had the pleasure myself but the in-laws are unimpressed.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:29 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by debs1966
Hi Guys

I have just had a shipping agent in who advised me that if we buy new goods here i.e. white goods we were able to claim back the VAT is this the case please?

If so, as anybody done this and how do you go about claiming back the VAT. Only I am looking to buy some new goods before I head out there.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Debbie
Putting the sensible hat on for a second.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the VAT refund scheme doesn't apply to freight.

It might be worth checking out the price of goods here just in case. I would find and call a "Good Guys" store local to your destination and asking them for a best price. Although everything is more expensive in Australia, sometimes it's not!

If you're think of buying computer stuff and you have children then there is a tax rebate scheme here (called the Education Tax Refund) which can make things cheaper.