Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paying pension but not in scheme - help

Paying pension but not in scheme - help

Old May 25th 2005, 4:40 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light
Question Paying pension but not in scheme - help

Hi
Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on my little problem. When I was supply teaching I opted out of pension scheme but as soon as I went permanent I rejoined. The LEA have been stopping my pension at source since Oct 2002, when I phoned the pension people today to see what I needed to do to freeze/transfer etc I was told I had opted out in 1999.
Somewhere along the line my opt in form didn't reach them but my employers activated their end. The scary thing is that if we hadn't been emigrating, I wouldn't have phoned up so would have been none the wiser.
Can I claim this money back? If so, will I have to pay tax on it or has the money already been taxed? Really unsure what to do and any help would be gratefully apreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Sarah
Old May 25th 2005, 8:29 pm

bjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Paying pension but not in scheme - help

Originally Posted by teach
Hi
Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on my little problem. When I was supply teaching I opted out of pension scheme but as soon as I went permanent I rejoined. The LEA have been stopping my pension at source since Oct 2002, when I phoned the pension people today to see what I needed to do to freeze/transfer etc I was told I had opted out in 1999.
Somewhere along the line my opt in form didn't reach them but my employers activated their end. The scary thing is that if we hadn't been emigrating, I wouldn't have phoned up so would have been none the wiser.
Can I claim this money back? If so, will I have to pay tax on it or has the money already been taxed? Really unsure what to do and any help would be gratefully apreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Sarah
No expert here, but if employer has you listed in then was nobody concerned as to where the money was going.
Anyway if the money was not recorded in the right period you will most likely have a tax problem. If you can somehow prove it is somebody Else's fault then perhaps you could claim any loss from them.
Either way I think you need professional advice.

Brian.
Old May 26th 2005, 3:48 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Paying pension but not in scheme - help

Originally Posted by bjbrian
No expert here, but if employer has you listed in then was nobody concerned as to where the money was going.
Anyway if the money was not recorded in the right period you will most likely have a tax problem. If you can somehow prove it is somebody Else's fault then perhaps you could claim any loss from them.
Either way I think you need professional advice.

Brian.
Thanks for your reply. My employer has now been back in touch and says that there is a possibility that they can pay the money back to me. Since I have already been taxed they seem to feel that I won't be taxed again. I'm off next week so will pop into Inland Revenue to find out exactly where I stand. Hopefully as I have all my wage slips that will be proof enough to show that I have been paying. Well fingers crossed anyway.
Sarah