Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paying for Holiday Rental??

Paying for Holiday Rental??

Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:52 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Paying for Holiday Rental??

We've booked a week's holiday rental in Perth and had to pay 50% deposit - so I phoned my bank to ask them to transfer the money, the exchange rate wasn't fantastic and they stung me for £17 for the pleasure.

I've got to book my second week's rental and was just wondering how people normally pay for it? Or is my £17 charge not as bad as I think
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:14 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying for Holiday Rental??

Bump

Anyone?
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
We've booked a week's holiday rental in Perth and had to pay 50% deposit - so I phoned my bank to ask them to transfer the money, the exchange rate wasn't fantastic and they stung me for £17 for the pleasure.

I've got to book my second week's rental and was just wondering how people normally pay for it? Or is my £17 charge not as bad as I think
May be an idea to pay by credit card.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by WendyC
May be an idea to pay by credit card.
Thanks for the response Wendy

I would rather pay by credit card but the rentals I've seen so far just give you their bank account to pay the money into....I was asked if I wanted to absorb the charges that are charged by the receiving bank! I said no of course!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the response Wendy

I would rather pay by credit card but the rentals I've seen so far just give you their bank account to pay the money into....I was asked if I wanted to absorb the charges that are charged by the receiving bank! I said no of course!

I don't know then. damn banks they'll charge you for anything won't they
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:42 pm

I don't know then. damn banks they'll charge you for anything won't they
I know buggers! I wouldn't mind but we were only paying a deposit so the £17 was a bit steep in comparison to the amount we were paying.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know buggers! I wouldn't mind but we were only paying a deposit so the £17 was a bit steep in comparison to the amount we were paying.

Might have been better to pay all of it, then it wouldn't have been too bad

It's a shame you don't know someone out there that would pay it for you until you get there
Old Feb 21st 2006, 5:02 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

We're with the Bank of Scotland and they charge £14 per transaction.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 21st 2006, 5:02 pm

Might have been better to pay all of it, then it wouldn't have been too bad

It's a shame you don't know someone out there that would pay it for you until you get there
Yes that's true.

Well apparantly, my brother in law has been looking on Genes Reunited and there are two people in Perth with our surname (which is a bit unusual) - maybe we're related

Wonder if they'd mind if I tracked them down and tapped them up for some dollars
Old Feb 21st 2006, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Stitch
We're with the Bank of Scotland and they charge £14 per transaction.

Cheers

Ginny
We're with them too! Why did they charge me £17!!!!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 5:06 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

We're with them too! Why did they charge me £17!!!!

It might have gone up! :scared: We opened a bank account with the Westpac and have been putting some money into the savings element. We only do it every so often. Last time was October and it was £14 for our bank and $8 for the Westpac!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 21st 2006, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes that's true.

Well apparantly, my brother in law has been looking on Genes Reunited and there are two people in Perth with our surname (which is a bit unusual) - maybe we're related

Wonder if they'd mind if I tracked them down and tapped them up for some dollars

Well it may work you never know...... but there may be a chance they're gonna say

NO so don't get yer hopes up
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:14 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

You could ask if they will accept an aussie dollar cheque the bank will do that for you, the charge is less than the international transfer, but you have to make sure that the landlord will hold your booking long enough for the cheque to be received.

Lynn
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:50 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Paying for Holiday Rental??

I've never had to transfer money bank to bank just for a holiday rental?? Is that usual in WA?? I mainly use a credit card for deposits.

17 isnt' too bad...I pay 20 pounds for a transfer to an Oz bank from Barclays in the UK.

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Welshie
I've never had to transfer money bank to bank just for a holiday rental?? Is that usual in WA?? I mainly use a credit card for deposits.

17 isnt' too bad...I pay 20 pounds for a transfer to an Oz bank from Barclays in the UK.

I think the problem will be that some people that have a single property for short term rental etc, will not be set up for credit card facilities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.