Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paying australian salary into UK bank account

Paying australian salary into UK bank account

Old May 2nd 2006, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Question Paying australian salary into UK bank account

I don't know whether this is possible but I want to be able to pay my Australian salary into my NatWest acoount so that I can pay any UK bills that need to be paid etc. Am I right in thinking that if I were to take out an account with HSBC in Oz then they would transfer the money for free each month to a UK HSBC account. I thought I had read this somewhere but I could be completely wrong. Could someone please let me know what the best options are.
Thanks everyone!
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying australian salary into UK bank account

Aus salary will have to go into an Aus account. The way I do it is to then move an amount each month into my UK account via www.tranzfers.com (costs £7 per transfer). Takes about 3 days to go through.
Old May 2nd 2006, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
I don't know whether this is possible but I want to be able to pay my Australian salary into my NatWest acoount so that I can pay any UK bills that need to be paid etc. Am I right in thinking that if I were to take out an account with HSBC in Oz then they would transfer the money for free each month to a UK HSBC account. I thought I had read this somewhere but I could be completely wrong. Could someone please let me know what the best options are.
Thanks everyone!
In principle it can be done (my salary is paid into my AU account from Singapore), but it will attract a $20-$25 fee for doing so (the employer would use their own banking TT facility).

You will be well outside of the comfort zone of the company payroll staff, and subject to the vagaries of the wonderful Aussie banks, which makes this a potentially risky business, plus you will never quite know when your pay will hit your account.

You will also cop a load of charges as well when you try to get at your own money, so all in all a bad idea. Do as Polly suggests and transfer over a fixed amount to meet your UK payments.

My tip would be to always transfer say $50 than you really need, then you are covered for exchange rate variations, and the charge your UK bank will make for receiving the TT. The extra will build up and eventually give you a buffer in case anything unexpected comes up
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
Thanks everyone!
Aus HSBC is a completely different company to UK HSBC so it wouldn't be free Not aware of any Aus bank doing something like that for free
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Aus HSBC is a completely different company to UK HSBC so it wouldn't be free Not aware of any Aus bank doing something like that for free
If anyone Citibank may do it - but they may require minimum average balance etc..but by and large most banks will charge ~£20 for the privilege from experience

EDIT:-
http://www.citibank.com.au/portal/ci...amevar1=workID

....they appear to do it for free, you just need two Citibank A/Cs' in Oz and GB - and both sides appear to be free and easy to set up.

Last edited by galloping gaijin; May 3rd 2006 at 12:16 am.