Reload this Page >

Paying for Assessment or not?

Wikiposts

Paying for Assessment or not?

Old May 27th 2004, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough
Default Paying for Assessment or not?

Some sites are offering free online assessments (I have completed numerous ones and get the same score ie 105-110 depending if i chuck them a bribe....whoops mean bond).

I saw the gomatilda site being recommended and noticed they charge a fee for an assessment.

My query is, what is the difference between them both? (apart from the bloomin obvious that is!)

All advice/comments received
Old May 27th 2004, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Evie is an unknown quantity at this point

Your best bet would be to call up a few agents and talk to them. Some things are open to interpretation and need a human being to do the assessment. Any credible agent will give you some free advice over the phone. We had about 4 of them look at my husband's CV before we decided. What put us off taking things further with Go Matilda was the fact that they wanted money up front for a pre-skills assessment when other agents will do it for nothing.

Good luck.

Evie
Old May 27th 2004, 8:22 am
Blue army down under!

nickram is an unknown quantity at this point

I filled out a quick form on the gomatilda site with a few questions and they phoned me back next day and explained my options. All this before asking me for a penny, I'd definatley try the form if I was you
Old May 27th 2004, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Evie
Your best bet would be to call up a few agents and talk to them. Some things are open to interpretation and need a human being to do the assessment. Any credible agent will give you some free advice over the phone. We had about 4 of them look at my husband's CV before we decided. What put us off taking things further with Go Matilda was the fact that they wanted money up front for a pre-skills assessment when other agents will do it for nothing.

Good luck.

Evie
Thanks...excuse me for being nosey, who did u decide to use in the end?
Old May 27th 2004, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Funnily enough we haven't decided as yet. We've done our own skills assessment after talking to various agents. The way we saw it was that the agent would only ask us to provide all the information for the assessment and then get it in a nice format and sumit it. For that we would pay £500. Well we thought we could do all that ourselves and save some money. It's taken us around 6 weeks and we're still waiting to hear.

As far as the actual visa application goes we may well use an agent for that stage. We're looking at maybe Ian Harrop. His name crops up on here quite a bit. The northern office of Concept Australia also gets quite a few recommendations - can't say the same about the one down south though. From our personal viewpoint, a smaller agency may work that bit harder for you if it is their livelihood, rather than a 9 to 5 job.

Happy searching!

Evie
Old May 27th 2004, 8:56 am
Just Joined

And another thing about Go Matilda, we sent my husband's CV and that wasn't enough for the agent to decide whether we stood a chance on getting in. She then said we should send money for this pre-skills assessment with another colleague, and then spoke about approaching the wrong skills assessing body! Just proved that she hadn't read the CV properly. This may just have been a bad experience had by us as others on here can't praise them enough.

Evie
Old May 28th 2004, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

And another thing about Go Matilda, we sent my husband's CV and that wasn't enough for the agent to decide whether we stood a chance on getting in. She then said we should send money for this pre-skills assessment with another colleague, and then spoke about approaching the wrong skills assessing body! Just proved that she hadn't read the CV properly. This may just have been a bad experience had by us as others on here can't praise them enough.

Evie
Well after much talking about it for the last 6 months, I decided to take the plunge and sent details & payment off to a migration agent, wont say who yet incase I get reports I dont want to hear about them lol.

Will let you know the outcome when I get the results so could be a or a depending on what they say.
Old May 28th 2004, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Let me know how you get on and who you chose to use - got me wondering now! Hope it all goes smoothly.

Evie
Old May 29th 2004, 10:14 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

With respect Evie, I would say it is likely you misunderstood the nature of our initial skills assessment review - stage 1 with us is a thorough review of an intending applicant's circumstances (work experience, qualifications, etc) in the context of the skills assessment application to ascertain whether he or she has the attributes required to obtain a positive skills assessment classification before he or she spends the bigger money that involves the preparation and management of the skills assessment application.

It is also an intrinsic element of our stage 2, which is the preparation of the skills assessment application.

I would add here that stage 1 isn't always required, but where an intending skilled migrant's occupation isn't clear (and where we are looking at handling an application for a trade skills person, IT applicants, those who would be applying to the AIM and the IEA, and certain other occupations) we have a policy of progressing via stage 1 to give the applicant (and us) comfort.

If other agents were happy to give an assessment of your prospects for a positive skills assessment classification without going into the rigour of a full review - super. However, my understanding is that this isn't what other agents do: they are "simply" advising those who contact them as to possible visa strategies on the assumption that the enquirer will obtain a positive skills assessment classification (if a skilled visa strategy is the pathway) - and this is exactly the same as what we do in our initial free assessment.

Hope this makes sense, and I'll be happy to call you to discuss this further if we are still "in the frame."

Best regards.

Good luck.

Evie

Last edited by Alan Collett; May 29th 2004 at 10:21 pm.
Old May 30th 2004, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Funnily enough we haven't decided as yet. We've done our own skills assessment after talking to various agents. The way we saw it was that the agent would only ask us to provide all the information for the assessment and then get it in a nice format and sumit it. For that we would pay £500. Well we thought we could do all that ourselves and save some money. It's taken us around 6 weeks and we're still waiting to hear.
Unless your personal circumstances are particularly complex - you may find that the same thing applies to the main VISa application.

We did it on our own in the end - it took lots of research, several practice runs at completing the forms etc - but fingers crossed everything has gone smoothly so far.

The £££ saved will just about pay for shipping our stuff out there....

Worth thinking about if you could do with saving some money.

Old May 30th 2004, 3:43 am
Just Joined

How far into the process are you? Where are you hoping to settle?
Old May 30th 2004, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

How far into the process are you? Where are you hoping to settle?
Details on austimeline:

austimeline

We have sent evry last bit of paper to Adealide Skilled Processing Centre and are (hopefully) now just waiting for the pre-grant letter.

Touch wood. Touch wood. Touch wood.

If all goes to plan (and what does?!) we are emigrating to Adelaide next April. Vaildation visit booked for end Nov/beginning Dec 2004.

If you think you can gather enough points to pass the passmark - then all the form and application is at its most basic level is an exercise in providing proof of points.

The forms aren't too difficult. If you are organised and methodical you coould save a lot of money. It's enough to pay the application fee alone without lining an agent's pockets as well.

However, if you do not think you currently meet the passmark you may well need to get an agent involved to see if there are clever ways to add those extra points...

Good luck!!