Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pay as You Go Internet/Email

Pay as You Go Internet/Email

Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Location: Moved to Melbourne from Scotland at end of September. About to move into long let in Donvale.
C & J is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Pay as You Go Internet/Email

This may be a silly question... but I cannot find an Australian ISP that provides a truly Pay as You Go service . They all seem to charge a monthly fee with a download limit? Is this the case?

Perhaps I should explain why I am looking - Im trying to set up my iPAQ (leaving present from my work mates in the UK) and it seemed easier if I could use an Australian ISP as supported by the Vodafone website.

WE are currently in temporary accommodation and are relying on internet cafe's and my partners laptop (wireless connection compliments of his employers) when he comes home from work - once we get settled I'm sure we will be commiting to a service provider for our connection but at the moment it does not seem practicable.

Any suggestions? and not too "techy" please - I am almost a complete novice in the iPAQ front.

Any help very much appreciated.
Jud
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default Re: Pay as You Go Internet/Email

I think you are right. Not a service you get here.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Jacs will become famous soon enoughJacs will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by C & J
This may be a silly question... but I cannot find an Australian ISP that provides a truly Pay as You Go service . They all seem to charge a monthly fee with a download limit? Is this the case?

Perhaps I should explain why I am looking - Im trying to set up my iPAQ (leaving present from my work mates in the UK) and it seemed easier if I could use an Australian ISP as supported by the Vodafone website.

WE are currently in temporary accommodation and are relying on internet cafe's and my partners laptop (wireless connection compliments of his employers) when he comes home from work - once we get settled I'm sure we will be commiting to a service provider for our connection but at the moment it does not seem practicable.

Any suggestions? and not too "techy" please - I am almost a complete novice in the iPAQ front.

Any help very much appreciated.

Jud
we use oze prepaid dial up internet (ozemail)
for approx 6 hours you pay around $10
www.ozemail.com.au
Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:23 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using Hypermax.net.au: a 256 BB connection is $19.95 a month with a charge of 15c/Mb over 200Mb, capped at - can't remember.

They are a good company with lots of help: if you use a lot of data there are cheaper ISPs but for the time being I'm happy.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 12:15 am
Just Joined

LittleBod is an unknown quantity at this point

You can buy various Pre-pay offerings at the local Post Office. I used DoDo and the starter pack was only $9.90 for 15 hours/30 days. It's good enough to get going when your in temporary accomodation, but I it was heaven when I finally got back to broadband
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Location: Moved to Melbourne from Scotland at end of September. About to move into long let in Donvale.

Thanks everyone for your advice - the good news is that we have a found ourselves a long term let in Donvale, so my problems should all be sorted!

Jud
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:01 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by C & J
Thanks everyone for your advice - the good news is that we have a found ourselves a long term let in Donvale, so my problems should all be sorted!

Jud
As a back-up, go to Nunawading Library & register. Then you'll have free access whenever you need it
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks, I have actually been using Kew library - no need to register at all there, they are happy to temporary guests to use their facilties.

However, I actually wanted an Oz ISP of my own to be able to use my iPAQ for emails and surfing - connecting to my UK dial up connection is too expensive just to play about with my gadget!

Good news is that we move into permanent rental tomorrow. Can anyone recommend the best telephone / broadband package?

Also, any info on cable tv would be useful . I understand the previous tenants had Foxtel.

Thanks again
Jud