Pay deductions

Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Kat_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pay deductions

Can anyone give me some kind of indication as to deductions on Pay? For example in the UK it is Tax and NI which as a ballpark figure I normally deduct 25% and it is not far off take home pay. I am aware of the Superannuation deduction (17 not 9 in this case) but struggling to find out any others. We will be working in Melbourne.
Thanks
Kat
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay deductions

Income tax, medicare and super would be the basic deductions. Generally think about losing 30% of your gross income unless you are a low paid employee. You shouldnt see the super coming off your gross unless your employer has structured it that way and included super in their offer to you. You can pay more into your super (and you would be sensible to do that as the 9% employer contribution wont give you a decent retirement income) but that can be salary sacrificed (taken out before the tax is taken off).
Old Mar 13th 2010, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I put a series of salaries into http://www.taxcalc.com.au/ and then worked out what percentage the tax was of the gross salary.

So, for example, if you put in $75,000 it gives you $17,475. I then divided $17,475 by $75,000 to give 23.3% and then rounded it.

$35,000 11%

$50,000 18%

$75,000 23%

$100,000 27%

$125,000 29%

This tax deduction includes both income tax and medicare levy (to fund the NHS style system) but is just shown as one "Taxation" figure on your pay slip.

At the end of the year almost all Australians do a tax return. The tax paid during the year should cover both income tax and medicare levy due. Australians generally find tax deductions as well so some will get a few hundred dollars back and some much more. You may end up paying an extra 1% tax at the end of the year if you do not take out private health insurance AND you earn more than roughly more than $73000 as a single or $143000 if you are in a couple.

The 9% super is not a deduction. It is an addition. It is not part of your income and will not be used for income tax purposes. It is a additional 9% (or more) of your gross salary paid by your employee into your nominated super fund. The confusion comes because some jobs ads add the 9% onto the gross salary and then quote the "package" figure and some don't.

The first question we all ask is: Is that $ amount including or excluding super?

Last edited by fish.01; Mar 13th 2010 at 9:32 am.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both for the information. I can now work out our budget.
See if we can afford more than a tent to live in and baked beans to eat!
Old Mar 14th 2010, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kat_uk
Thank you both for the information. I can now work out our budget.
See if we can afford more than a tent to live in and baked beans to eat!
It could be 'doable'....

Coles recently had Heinz baked beans on special for $1 a can, day old bread usually goes for about a Dollar a loaf and a powered tent site will probably set you back between $20 and $30 a night depending on area ( cheaper by the week ).

Go for it !............The kids will love camping
Old Mar 14th 2010, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The Employers 9pct superannuation should not be included in your gross wages.

You then choose which amount to add to that yourself... Generally around 3 pct so as to gain government tax advantages. Anything above that 9pct Employers contribution is voluntary AFAIK.

Someone may correct me on this.

Wages should generally state say 75,000 per annum plus 9pct supernnuation.... which is basically a given, it's definitely a legal requirement for all salaried employees for employers to make this contribuiton.

If they are quoting the other way around I'd suggest you may have a suss employer.

Open to correction on all of the above.... could be someone is playing on migrants naivety in these matters... Or it could be that I'm not up with the times.

Just read Fish's post which say a similar thing to mine re super only in more detail..... I would add I doubt if there is a Australian Employer that would pay 17pct contributions to anyone. Most I've heard of is 12pct. Whereas you can top up that amount with whatever figure you want from your own wages to a max of 25,000 Aud per annum.

'

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 14th 2010 at 6:56 am.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

english teacher is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Pay deductions

Hi there,

Have a look at this. It will calculate your deductions, and give you the choice of including Super or not. Just put the same amount into each box if you know what you are going to be earning.

http://www.careerone.com.au/news-adv...ary-calculator

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Kat_uk
Can anyone give me some kind of indication as to deductions on Pay? For example in the UK it is Tax and NI which as a ballpark figure I normally deduct 25% and it is not far off take home pay. I am aware of the Superannuation deduction (17 not 9 in this case) but struggling to find out any others. We will be working in Melbourne.
Thanks
Kat
I did these figures last year, it is probably very similar now, so you get a reasonable idea.

It basically shows Australia very similar to the UK, in % terms.

Based on 0.8 Times each countries average wage at April 2008, using 2008/09 Tax Rates
UK £20,000.00 Gross Pay £ 4,395.15 Total Deductions = 21.98% of gross
AUS $50,000.00 Gross Pay $ 9,750.00 Total Deductions = 19.50% of gross

Based on 1.6 Times each countries average wage at April 2008, using 2008/09 Tax Rates
UK £40,000.00 Gross Pay £10,595.15 Total Deductions = 26.49% of gross
AUS $100,000.00 Gross Pay $ 27,500.00 Total Deductions = 27.50% of gross

Based on 3.2 Times each countries average wage at April 2008, using 2008/09 Tax Rates
UK £80,000.00 Gross Pay £26,832.15 Total Deductions = 33.54% of gross
AUS $200,000.00 Gross Pay $ 70,000.00 Total Deductions = 35.00% of gross
These figures work off actual salary, before the employer paid Super.

Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Just read Fish's post which say a similar thing to mine re super only in more detail..... I would add I doubt if there is a Australian Employer that would pay 17pct contributions to anyone. Most I've heard of is 12pct.
My employer - the Uni of Western Australia pays 17% super
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

If they are quoting the other way around I'd suggest you may have a suss employer.

On higher salary, super is often included, not on top. But they word it 'salary package' usually.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:45 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
On higher salary, super is often included, not on top. But they word it 'salary package' usually.
My husbands was quoted that way in his job offer with the super included in the salary mentioned.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
My employer - the Uni of Western Australia pays 17% super

Really !

Blimey.... Do you have to add any yourself ? Or rather do people you work with contribute any to their own.

I reckon the Nurses Union will like to hear about that... or at least the Members because you would expect the Union to know. State Government body and all that etc

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 15th 2010 at 7:25 am.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 10:06 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Really !

Blimey.... Do you have to add any yourself ? Or rather do people you work with contribute any to their own.

I reckon the Nurses Union will like to hear about that... or at least the Members because you would expect the Union to know. State Government body and all that etc

Uni contributes 17% we contribute 7% making 24% in total.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by renth
Uni contributes 17% we contribute 7% making 24% in total.
Yes the 17% is a Uni too and they contribute all of it. However they do split the amounts so you know the wage amount as well on the contract.

Thanks to all of you for the help