Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Patio Heater to Brisbane, Daft idea???

Wikiposts

Patio Heater to Brisbane, Daft idea???

Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:34 am
Merlot

Default Re: Patio Heater to Brisbane, Daft idea???

Originally Posted by Superior
Even if that was the case, customs obviously don't care about it as they are sold all over the place here. Which also means that you can bring them in as well.
I just don't see how it could be worth it though, they are pretty cheap to buy.
I didn't think customs could give two hoots

M

Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:51 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Superior
Customs don't give a hoot. If they did, nobody would be able to import them and sell them.

Maybe the European Union have a use for them?

M

Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot

Maybe the European Union have a use for them?

M
At the end of the day if you've got one and have a container load of stuff - you may as well take it with you. I can't see the point of selling it and then going out and buying a new one next winter.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:15 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by marco121068
At the end of the day if you've got one and have a container load of stuff - you may as well take it with you. I can't see the point of selling it and then going out and buying a new one next winter.
Hi marco

I meant the Customs people, not the outdoor heaters further to my conversation with Superior.

Sorry to confuse.

M

Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Hi marco

I meant the Customs people, not the outdoor heaters further to my conversation with Superior.

Sorry to confuse.

M
No problem.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by marco121068
Surely all you need is to replace the regulator on the end of the hose. When I bought my heater all I had to do was to fit the hose onto the hose end on the end of the regulator and tighten the jubilee clip so it didn't leak. Can anyone confirm that regs can be bought (or will you need a licence to change it like everyhing else??)

Marco, I agree and I dont think it will take much brain work!! :scared:

Bill
Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Why do you ALWAYS ask that?

Are you keeping stats or something? Undercover government research? Or just a nosey sod?

Cheers,
JTL
just a nosey sod

Actually, because Brisbane is such a big place, i'm kind of interested in knowing the areas that people consider to be Brisbane. We have some friends from Sydney who said they were moving up to Brisbane, They moved to "Toowoomba" to be precise 145km west of us

Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

optus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Hi folks

We got a patio heater as a wedding present last year, and as the weather is so good in Aberdeen we have hardly used it.

Question is, is it worth taking it to Brisbane, will it definitely not get used or what?? Should we just sell it, will we get calor gas in Oz to work the thing??

Bill
I’d bring it, it does chill off in the evenings – however, usually by night fall the Mosquitoes make sitting outside a nightmare. :scared:
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
just a nosey sod

Actually, because Brisbane is such a big place, i'm kind of interested in knowing the areas that people consider to be Brisbane. We have some friends from Sydney who said they were moving up to Brisbane, They moved to "Toowoomba" to be precise 145km west of us

I had visions of you sitting there with your spreadsheet, a list of expats down one side, and list of suburbs along the top, plotting intended location/actual location, frequency, trends, % change from last year. Expat population forecasts by suburb, region, school catchment areas, correlation to house price change.... all that.

Are you sure thats not what you are really doing? It would be so much more interesting

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:24 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamiem
yeah, the hose should be the same diameter, and (if anything) the only difference should be the thread on the regulator. I would imagine you'd be able to buy a regulator and a length of hose at a camping/caravanning/motorhome shop in aus. Then just clamp the bugger onto your heater with a jubilee clip. Easy as ;-)

See you on the patio.
that's the problem I'm having, UK regulators have nipple (no tit jokes boys and girls ) fittings where you just slip the hose on and jubilee it up..

out here they are screw fittings well they are on the regulators I've seen and searched for..
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:45 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I had visions of you sitting there with your spreadsheet, a list of expats down one side, and list of suburbs along the top, plotting intended location/actual location, frequency, trends, % change from last year. Expat population forecasts by suburb, region, school catchment areas, correlation to house price change.... all that.

Are you sure thats not what you are really doing? It would be so much more interesting

Cheers,
JTL
A year ago I was keeping tabs on who was coming over to the Bayside but it all got a bit much, too many people arriving here And with my memory being what it is, I can't even remember now who has said where they are going.

Actually, that % change from last year would be very interesting