Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pathetic Lack Of Diesel Cars In Oz

Wikiposts

Pathetic Lack Of Diesel Cars In Oz

Old Dec 7th 2005, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pathetic Lack Of Diesel Cars In Oz

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
I already have a VX Berlina model 2001 !! I might be persuaded though. Are the colours funky?
Absolutely retro!

Best described as unique, in every sense of the word

Better bring some duct tape just in case.....

.................................................. ..........something falls off.

WW
Old Dec 7th 2005, 2:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The local manufacturers are not really interested in spending a fortune in setting up diesel options, and then another fortune in advertising it to the public, in the hope they buy them, when they know full well that the Europeans would then just walk in with their models, and take advantage of the advertising.
Not really true. Holden are planning a diesel version of the new commabore for '07.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 2:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
I did have a 530d in uk and it was the best car ever truly fantastic and same performance / refinement as the 530i petrol.
530d is being released in Oz next year.

Australia will catch up eventually.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 4:37 pm
Banned

blairdoesntcare is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all good luck in Adelaide - its a much nicer place than Melbourne (although any ozzie living in Melbourne would never admit it!)

Secondly the 2.0TDI engine is used in the A3, A4 & Golf, so I would not be too worried about bringing it into Oz. You will need to fit "Drug dealer" glass as it gets very hot (everyone has it)

If you love that Car then bring it over - I think it costs about 1,200 pounds to do this. I will be taking my A3 Diesel sportback back to the UK.

Good luck Mike

Originally Posted by lucyb
I have an unhealthy obseesion with my car, she's nothing special, but I love her. I wanted to bring her to Oz, but VW in Adlelaide told me this was a very bad idea. (VW Passat TDi Sport) They said that there are NO VW Passat Diesels in oz? Is this really true? The car is worth a fraction of what we paid now and we figured it was worth bringing it over and running into the ground...but perhaps not? A comparable Passat in Oz would set us back £20k from what I can see......
Old Dec 7th 2005, 4:40 pm
Banned

I would ship it over to Oz - Renaults have diesels here - and cars cost a lot more second hand than they do in the UK.

Bearing in mind the resale value of your car in the UK I would ship it.

I think the only modifications would be the speedo (if not showing kmh and the addition of the anchor points for kiddie seats)

Shipping costs about 1,200 pounds
Good luck - Mike

Originally Posted by pom plumber
bye the way does anyone want to buy my state of the art diesel megane in feb,1 owner(the missus)low miles(always in garage)full service history(got pages of work had to be done)very nippy and economical(when on road).ps anybody recommend a good LPG car in oz
Old Dec 7th 2005, 4:44 pm
Banned

BP Have now launched the low sulphar diesels - so no different to the UK at all.

The diesel fuel is OK - which is why BMW and Audi now sell dielsels.

Good luck Mike

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Thought you said you just "Got the new (For Australia) Audi 2.0TDI Ambition DSG".

I have just emailed Jaguar Australia and asked if the X Type diesel will be arriving anytime at all ever...............

Can you tell me if diesel fuel in Oz meets the EN590 standard - I have heard that it's not very good fuel for cars over there which is why they just put it in Utes and tractors...........

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 7th 2005, 4:52 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by blairdoesntcare
First of all good luck in Adelaide - its a much nicer place than Melbourne (although any ozzie living in Melbourne would never admit it!)

Thats just your personal opinion.

I'm a Scot living in Melbourne & disagree with you.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 4:55 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Thats just your personal opinion.

I'm a Scot living in Melbourne & disagree with you.
Yeah but you disagree with everyone
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:04 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fraser
Yeah but you disagree with everyone
I agree with that.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:21 pm
ABCDiamond

I would ship it over to Oz - Renaults have diesels here - and cars cost a lot more second hand than they do in the UK.

Bearing in mind the resale value of your car in the UK I would ship it.

I think the only modifications would be the speedo (if not showing kmh and the addition of the anchor points for kiddie seats)

Shipping costs about 1,200 pounds
Good luck - Mike
It won't just be the cost of shipping....... Don't forget to check out the costs you will incur at this end as well.

Import Duty
GST
Cleaning Costs
Safety Checks
Conversion costs

Have a look at http://www.karmanshipping.com/australia/australia.html and
http://www.karmanshipping.com/australia/WebCalcs.xls

for some more figures.

Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:24 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Pathetic Lack Of Diesel Cars In Oz

BP Have now launched the low sulphar diesels - so no different to the UK at all.

The diesel fuel is OK - which is why BMW and Audi now sell dielsels.

Good luck Mike
Hi Mike - here is the response from Jaguar Australia -

===============================================
Thank you for your email in relation to our vehicles.

We do not have any immediate plans to bring the Diesel X-TYPE on the the Australian market, I do however suggest you contact your local authorised Jaguar Retailer and speak with a highly trained sales advisor whom I'm positive will be in the best position to assist you further with this concern.

A full list of retailers is available by visiting our website www.jaguar.com.au and selecting the 'contact a retailer' link.

If there is anything I am further able to offer assistance with, then please don't hesitate to contact me on the number below, Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm (EST).
===============================================

Bugger!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Generally, what used to be the case with Jaguars, and maybe still is amongst local enthusiasts, was they would rip out the heat sensitive Jaguar engine and replace it with the far more reliable and less overheating prone chevy.

I kid you not.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:44 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Pathetic Lack Of Diesel Cars In Oz

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Generally, what used to be the case with Jaguars, and maybe still is amongst local enthusiasts, was they would rip out the heat sensitive Jaguar engine and replace it with the far more reliable and less overheating prone chevy.

I kid you not.
Nowadays the Jaguar including its engine is built by Ford.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Nowadays the Jaguar including its engine is built by Ford.

Cheers

Buzzy
Ahh I wondered why I hadn't seen so many Jags around with chevy stickers on them.

FYI, because there are probably quite a few car enthusiasts on this Forum, the hotrod and centre of producing the best car modifications in Australia, is generally regarded to be Castlemaine up in Central Victoria. I know some people up there that inform me on this kind of stuff.

Havn't seen them for a while I've got to admit. They have plenty of rallies up that way, so for real car enthusiasts it's probably worth noting.