Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Past experience advice

Past experience advice

Old Mar 26th 2015, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Moley87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Past experience advice

Background on me I'm 29 just got accepted for my 2nd WHV and heading back out to OZ in December.

I'll be travelling in December but then looking for a job in January the purpose will be to concentrate on work and hoping for a employee to sponsor me primarily

At present I run reports for managers on certain criteria they want and before was a purchase ledger on a finance department (insurance Company)

I have checked the SOL (no job matches) and CSOL doesn't really match the profile either.

Unfortunately I do not have a degree just a AAT qualification.

I'm thinking I will look at admin roles and finance positions when over in AU but unsure what the situation is out there with employees and granting 457 or how easy it is now to find work ?

I don't know what specific qualifications are needed for an admin role or finance role but maybe the project administration title the best way to approach it as I technically can match this to doing Amin work in what I do now?

I wont be in oz for the full 12 months as my employer in the UK has granted a career break for 7 months

Am I being optimistic or not?
Old Mar 26th 2015, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Past experience advice

So you plan to find an job where the employer:

a. Is prepared to employ you - a WHV holder - in an admin role ahead of other local candidates who don’t have a 6 month limitation on their visa.
b. Is so impressed with your performance in the few months you work there that they want to sponsor you to stay
c. Is prepared to overlook the fact that the job you do is not on the CSOL but are happy to break the law and sponsor you anyway

And you’re going to achieve all this in six months?

Yes, you're being rather optimistic.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You are coming on a "holiday" that is all. Most WHV travelers find themselves doing normal backpacker work - bars and cafes.

As for project administrator - no - that here means something else and is a senior role
Old Mar 29th 2015, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Thumbs down Re: Past experience advice

I appreciate that the WHV is a holiday visa but does allow me the time I need to look for work , I did a year in 2007 and did all the travelling but this time round I'm in interested in finding a employee sponsor.

I hear its hard to find sonsorship so this is why I'll be concentrating on work instead of travelling , admin/finance roles will be what I'll be after but will possibly look at regional area's so I could try even for an RSMS

457 I'll need a position on the csol list

Just I appreciate there are so many unknowns but I was interested to get peoples adv on experience on finding sponsorship whilst out in oz on a 417
Old Mar 29th 2015, 11:23 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

If your occupation isn't on SOL or CSOL, you can't be sponsored anyway so moot point.

Recently on BE people have been commenting about better life in oz, hence wanting to come here, I've been here 16 yrs and it's gone from cheap to unbelievable prices but that's ok, my life is here and as self employed my prices go up with it and luckily I still seem to be in demand.

However, my SIL moved to UK (oz citizen) and has just moved back and has no hope of finding job in her field unless she moves states due to downgrades in her area, everything has been moved to major cities, leaving hundreds to fight for same jobs,

Several tradies enjoying the mining boom have just been sent home, no job, same situation, no future of jobs unless they set up own business, and even then fighting with the others doing the same, boom time is well and truly over!

As others said, enjoy your holiday, do bar work but in current climate, yes, you are way too optimistic, miracles might happen though, but not without a occupation on the list.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moley87
I appreciate that the WHV is a holiday visa but does allow me the time I need to look for work , I did a year in 2007 and did all the travelling but this time round I'm in interested in finding a employee sponsor.

I hear its hard to find sonsorship so this is why I'll be concentrating on work instead of travelling , admin/finance roles will be what I'll be after but will possibly look at regional area's so I could try even for an RSMS

457 I'll need a position on the csol list

Just I appreciate there are so many unknowns but I was interested to get peoples adv on experience on finding sponsorship whilst out in oz on a 417
The RSMS is available for roles that are not on the CSOL list. However, they require a skill / occupations equivalent to ANZCO level 1 or 2. This would mean degree qualified. To further complicate maters, there simply is no real demand in regional areas for your skills.

I live in a regional area, and like most regional areas, we have very high unemployment and it is particularly bad for those used to working in office environments - tradies to better.

A 457, would not be available to you as your skills are not on the CSOL list.

Therefore, i am sorry but you can not be sponsored. Have a nice holiday, but i am afraid that is all you will be here for unless you meet an Australian partner.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 1:48 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
The RSMS is available for roles that are not on the CSOL list. However, they require a skill / occupations equivalent to ANZCO level 1 or 2. This would mean degree qualified. To further complicate maters, there simply is no real demand in regional areas for your skills.

I live in a regional area, and like most regional areas, we have very high unemployment and it is particularly bad for those used to working in office environments - tradies to better.

A 457, would not be available to you as your skills are not on the CSOL list.

Therefore, i am sorry but you can not be sponsored. Have a nice holiday, but i am afraid that is all you will be here for unless you meet an Australian partner.
Plus his recollection of economy in 2007 is whole different of reality of 2015
Old Mar 29th 2015, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your comments on this 👍
Old Apr 9th 2015, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

OzzyDreamer86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wasted mission i am affraid as it doesn't work like that. You can't get sponsorship for just any job. You can only get sponsrship if you have a job on the SOL or CSOL.

The RSMS spnosorship is only for people who are not on the SOL or CSOL lists but have a degree qualified job.

Even if you had a job on the SOL or CSOL 6 months is not long enough to find a sponsor. They are hard to come by.

Sorry