Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Passport Validity Period

Passport Validity Period

Old Mar 1st 2005, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

sharkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport Validity Period

Does your passport have to be valid for a certain period of time before you can leave for Oz. I.e some countries require your passport to be valid for a minimum 6 months before yo can enter the country. Does having PR affect this?
Mine is due to run out in August but will be looking at going to Oz permanently in June. Is it necessary to upgrade my passport and therefore carry two?
Reason I don't want to do this is that I am in living in France and don't really want to take the risk of postal renewals either losing or forgetting to return my original.

cheers
Old Mar 1st 2005, 9:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Validity Period

Originally Posted by sharkin
Does your passport have to be valid for a certain period of time before you can leave for Oz. I.e some countries require your passport to be valid for a minimum 6 months before yo can enter the country. Does having PR affect this?
Mine is due to run out in August but will be looking at going to Oz permanently in June. Is it necessary to upgrade my passport and therefore carry two?
Reason I don't want to do this is that I am in living in France and don't really want to take the risk of postal renewals either losing or forgetting to return my original.

cheers
1. When stamping a permanent visa, DIMIA will want to make sure your passport is valid up to the first entry date at least.

2. If your visa has already been stamped, then there is no 6 month rule for Australia but some countries do have such a rule (eg Singapore and Malaysia) and it's not really a good idea to travel on a passport about to expire.

3. Why not renew your passport at the British Embassy in France?

4. DIMIA *might* be able to give you a new printed label, if they don't you can carry the old passport with the visa in it but that risks check-in hassle if the person on the airline counter doesn't realise that DIMIA are ok with this.

5. It's a lot simpler to get a new passport before having any visas stamped.

Jeremy
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:22 am
Raindancer

Athena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. When stamping a permanent visa, DIMIA will want to make sure your passport is valid up to the first entry date at least.

2. If your visa has already been stamped, then there is no 6 month rule for Australia but some countries do have such a rule (eg Singapore and Malaysia) and it's not really a good idea to travel on a passport about to expire.

3. Why not renew your passport at the British Embassy in France?

4. DIMIA *might* be able to give you a new printed label, if they don't you can carry the old passport with the visa in it but that risks check-in hassle if the person on the airline counter doesn't realise that DIMIA are ok with this.

5. It's a lot simpler to get a new passport before having any visas stamped.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your info!

So, just to recap and see if I understood correctly, since my situation is similar to sharkin's:

I was granted my visa today and my passport expires in June 2005. Since I am planning to leave to Australia in September, I better renew my passport now and then get my label stamped on the new passport, and when I get to Australia the DIMIA will not have issues with the fact that my passport is new.

Is that correct?
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Athena

I was granted my visa today and my passport expires in June 2005. Since I am planning to leave to Australia in September, I better renew my passport now and then get my label stamped on the new passport, and when I get to Australia the DIMIA will not have issues with the fact that my passport is new.

Is that correct?
That's definitely the simplest way. It won't hurt to send a certified copy of the ID page of your new passport, and send it to your case officer in Adelaide, then send the new one to the relevant DIMIA office (Rome?) to get it stamped.

I suggest you renew your passport now before the summer rush starts. Check the other family members passports while you're at it. Of course, if you're an Italian rather than British citizen, you need to check the processing time for passports which might not be the same as in the UK.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 1st 2005 at 10:29 am.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 12:22 pm
Raindancer

Athena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's definitely the simplest way. It won't hurt to send a certified copy of the ID page of your new passport, and send it to your case officer in Adelaide, then send the new one to the relevant DIMIA office (Rome?) to get it stamped.

I suggest you renew your passport now before the summer rush starts. Check the other family members passports while you're at it. Of course, if you're an Italian rather than British citizen, you need to check the processing time for passports which might not be the same as in the UK.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy,

For the renewal of my passport, I just discovered that I can simply extend the old one for another 5 years, as the Italian law has recently changed on that matter. I'm planning to go tomorrow morning

As for sending copies to my CO, I will follow your advice.