Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Passport Renewals

Passport Renewals

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of
Default Passport Renewals

Hi

Does anyone know if you can renew your kids passports whilst holidaying in the UK. Have 2 that have expired so need to get new ones

Jane
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Renewals

Won't you need in date ones to leave Aus/enter the UK?

You are supposed to have a permanent address but people do it because it is cheaper. There are several threads on the subject.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Won't you need in date ones to leave Aus/enter the UK?
Perhaps children have Australian passports?

see:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...port/DG_174105
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussiedreamer
Hi

Does anyone know if you can renew your kids passports whilst holidaying in the UK. Have 2 that have expired so need to get new ones

Jane
We did a few yrs ago, same day service @ Liverpool passport office. Not cheap for 3 though. Now we have Aussie passports we've let the UK ones expire. You can enter UK on an expired UK passport BTW.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:23 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
We did a few yrs ago, same day service @ Liverpool passport office. Not cheap for 3 though. Now we have Aussie passports we've let the UK ones expire. You can enter UK on an expired UK passport BTW.
This was also possible at the London, Victoria PP office a few years ago.

An expired passport is not a valid travel document, I'm not sure that an airline would let you on board if thats all you had, having said that I have travelled before on a PP with "issues" but still managed to get into the UK.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:34 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
This was also possible at the London, Victoria PP office a few years ago.

An expired passport is not a valid travel document, I'm not sure that an airline would let you on board if thats all you had, having said that I have travelled before on a PP with "issues" but still managed to get into the UK.
We travel on our Aussie passports but an expired UK one is OK for going through passport control at the UK. Can't see the point of spending all that money to renew them...
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Expired passports are "usually" accepted by their country of issue, this is true for the UK: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...vice/global/en
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
We travel on our Aussie passports but an expired UK one is OK for going through passport control at the UK. Can't see the point of spending all that money to renew them...
I am just in the process of applying for Aussie passports and i was wondering what to do with the uk passports when they run out so after reading this i might not bother as its so expensive to do.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:04 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LINDZI
I am just in the process of applying for Aussie passports and i was wondering what to do with the uk passports when they run out so after reading this i might not bother as its so expensive to do.

I am planning to renew my UK one when I go back in December.

I think a current UK passport is a good thing to have - if not for access to the UK, but for access to the rest of Europe without needing visas and such.

S
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I am planning to renew my UK one when I go back in December.

I think a current UK passport is a good thing to have - if not for access to the UK, but for access to the rest of Europe without needing visas and such.

S
Yes i forgot about that but to be honest the price of flying back to the uk anytime in the near future is going to be very slim so i will decide near the time they are needed to be done its not for a few years yet so better start saving now
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi There

Thanks for the replies. I will be travelling back on my own, my passport has another year to go. 2 of my childrens passports have expired and we plan a holiday overseas next year but won't be citizens by then so they will have no valid passport.

Jane
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Does anyone know if there is any sort of time limit on renewing expired British passports? Our sons expired a couple of years ago and even though he doesn't need it, I would like to get it renewed at some point but can't afford it at the moment.