Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Passport delayed over and over

Passport delayed over and over

Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport delayed over and over

Originally Posted by fatyak
Have you got communication issues?
thanks for clarifying but what i was mainly saying "what" to, was the disbelief that was the case and would like to know further information.

Does this also mean first time?
First time? A British Consulate does all the stuff for the British Government abroad. This includes supplying British subjects with passports, whether first, second, third or fourth time of applying.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:28 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm...I completely sympathise with your frustration, but just maybe there are security checks ongoing as to why UK aren't issuing your passport immediately?

I have to say (& I'm certainly NOT accusing you of anything underhand) but from what I've read here it all looks a bit dodgy....there's a wedding, possible residency/work, someone ringing up from abroad obviously stressed about the lack of a passport....can you understand why, from an outsider's point of view, alarm bells might be ringing?

I think you just have to try & be patient...the granting of passports has been a huge issue here, when it was found recently that passports were issued to people from outside the country on fraudulent paperwork, who then went on to assassinate some Israeli government official (I think). Anyway, things are now being checked, checked & checked again & quite rightly so, in my opinion. Your wedding plans unfortunately arent that important when measured against national security.

Best of luck & hope it comes soon
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

fatyak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Hmm...I completely sympathise with your frustration, but just maybe there are security checks ongoing as to why UK aren't issuing your passport immediately?

I have to say (& I'm certainly NOT accusing you of anything underhand) but from what I've read here it all looks a bit dodgy....there's a wedding, possible residency/work, someone ringing up from abroad obviously stressed about the lack of a passport....can you understand why, from an outsider's point of view, alarm bells might be ringing?

I think you just have to try & be patient...the granting of passports has been a huge issue here, when it was found recently that passports were issued to people from outside the country on fraudulent paperwork, who then went on to assassinate some Israeli government official (I think). Anyway, things are now being checked, checked & checked again & quite rightly so, in my opinion. Your wedding plans unfortunately arent that important when measured against national security.

Best of luck & hope it comes soon
Actually no i wouldn't think it was dodgy at all.
Even from an outsiders view, all of the above seems logical considering i'm british, want to move back home, go to the wedding and possibly work if i stay long enough. All of which I am entitled to no?

generally by 'move' i mean stay for a lengthy period over 3 months :P
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:37 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, as I said, I'm certainly not accusing you of anything dodgy at all & I'm sure that you are British & entitled to live & work as you claim. However, many other people claim this too & if you have lived here in the UK recently, you'd be aware of the interest in illegal immigration, false passports, the sensitivities surrounding unemployment & illegal workers...added to a general election coming up very shortly, this is all translating into a very cautious approach from the Government agencies.

It's a total pain for all those genuine people who are just wanting to get on with their lives, but look on the bright side - at least you aren't being told you have to wait for months, sometimes years on end, for security checks that other perfectly law-abiding citizens of other countries have to endure whilst waiting to hear if they can come to the UK or not.

May I ask, is the wedding yours by the way....? I was just wondering if the hold up was to do with that?
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Yes, as I said, I'm certainly not accusing you of anything dodgy at all & I'm sure that you are British & entitled to live & work as you claim. However, many other people claim this too & if you have lived here in the UK recently, you'd be aware of the interest in illegal immigration, false passports, the sensitivities surrounding unemployment & illegal workers...added to a general election coming up very shortly, this is all translating into a very cautious approach from the Government agencies.

It's a total pain for all those genuine people who are just wanting to get on with their lives, but look on the bright side - at least you aren't being told you have to wait for months, sometimes years on end, for security checks that other perfectly law-abiding citizens of other countries have to endure whilst waiting to hear if they can come to the UK or not.

May I ask, is the wedding yours by the way....? I was just wondering if the hold up was to do with that?
yes it is my wedding, and also a family friends a few weeks or a couple of months later depending on the situation.

The urgency was because we wanted a snowy wedding, but the snow is melting :<
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice

Friend of mine has just recently had to renew her UK passport and it took 9 weeks to get back to her.....

As already posted on here it went to NZ and then had to be sent to UK to be printed as machine in NZ has broken down.

She had to change her flight plans to go home as a result. It cost her a fortune in phone calls trying to sort out when she could expect to recieve it.

Thankfully it has now arrived......but as I said was 9 weeks from it being taken into Aussie Post and her recieving it back.

Hope yours arrives quicker
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bithbheo
had to be sent to UK to be printed as machine in NZ has broken down.

:
So much for all the assurances that the move to NZ wouldn't cause any hassles.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

i'd be expecting a call at least to know why it's taking so long, surely there is more than just "we dont know" response :<
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I wonder why the office was moved to NZ. One would have thought it would make more sense closing the office in NZ and moving it to Aus - they probably handle more applications over here.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:44 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I wonder why the office was moved to NZ. One would have thought it would make more sense closing the office in NZ and moving it to Aus - they probably handle more applications over here.
Kiwis are cheap.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Kiwis are cheap.
and slow ;>
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Guest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really nice

I need a british passport, not an australian one ><
australian one atm.
What are the implications of re-entering Australia on a new UK passport? From what I've read there may be problems coming back in the country if there is no visa in your new passport. If you have an Australian passport then presumably you are a citizen and won't have a visa in your new UK passport. Just a thought.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:24 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guest
What are the implications of re-entering Australia on a new UK passport? From what I've read there may be problems coming back in the country if there is no visa in your new passport. If you have an Australian passport then presumably you are a citizen and won't have a visa in your new UK passport. Just a thought.
Surely they would re-enter Australia on their existing Australian passport? I'm pretty sure you have to anyway, if you're a citizen?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Surely they would re-enter Australia on their existing Australian passport? I'm pretty sure you have to anyway, if you're a citizen?
from what i gathered, you leave australia using your british passport and return on your british passport, but you show both passports once you get to customs to prove you're a citizen.

hence dual nationality.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

from what i gathered, you leave australia using your british passport and return on your british passport, but you show both passports once you get to customs to prove you're a citizen.

hence dual nationality.
You leave Australia on your Australian Passport and enter the UK with your UK passport. Then you leave the UK with your UK Passport and re enter Australia with your Australian Passport.

If you have a passport for a country you are entering or leaving you must always use that passport, whatever the country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.