Reload this Page >

Passport control - Sydney

Passport control - Sydney

Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

cratfy is on a distinguished road
Default Passport control - Sydney

Hello All,

Just a quick one. How long does it take to get through passport control on a PR visa, do you have to go a different place. Getting picked up from the airport so just working out timings.

Thanks

Alex
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:08 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport control - Sydney

Originally Posted by cratfy
Hello All,

Just a quick one. How long does it take to get through passport control on a PR visa, do you have to go a different place. Getting picked up from the airport so just working out timings.

Thanks

Alex
How long is a piece of string? It will depend on how many flights arrive at the same time = how many people are in the queue ahead of you. If there are any holdups ahead of you and any holdups while going through baggage collection, Customs/AQIS checking etc after Immigration. General rule of thumb, it would be advisable for them to give you at least an hour after landing to get to arrivals.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cratfy
Hello All,

Thanks

Alex
No separate place. Just queue up with everyone else.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

You go to the same desks and it takes as long as normal.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

When I came in September, Immi at Sydney forgot to stamp my passport!

I realised when I was in the baggage hall and went back to get it done.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the passport control that takes the time, that will likely be a flick, a look and a stamp in the book. It's the baggage screening on the way out that takes ages, especially if you are coming with a whole load of stuff and have things to declare (even the chocolate they gave you on the plane). The queues for the xrays and questioning can me miles long especially with all the long haul flights arriving after the curfew is lifted. Most times I have come through lately it has been about an hour.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

If i had a newish laptop would i have to declare that?
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

It took me 2 hours when I came through in September, and that was with BA having lost my luggage to I only had hand baggage! Passport control doesn't take long; I know that feeling of wanting to shout "I have a 136 visa, I'm emigrating, HELLO" - when we first arrived in June I basically told the immigration guy my life story about how I had ended up in Sydney. He was very sweet and welcomed me to Australia while OH and the kids cringed in the background. However, Sydney airport has stopped the 2 queue system for customs (anything to declare and not) so everyone faces a huge queue if you arrive, as is common, with a few long haul flights at the same time. Sydney airport has a curfew from 11pm-6am (I still haven't worked out how BA advertises a flight that arrives at 5.30am as, technically, that isn't possible) so the reality is all the flights land within 30 minutes of each other and it's chaos. Think of it as your first lesson in the art of standing back and thinking "she'll be right"
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warponydestroyer
If i had a newish laptop would i have to declare that?
No.