Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pascoe Vale, Glenroy, Oak Park - what's it like?

Pascoe Vale, Glenroy, Oak Park - what's it like?

Old Sep 1st 2005, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

alexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pascoe Vale, Glenroy, Oak Park - what's it like?

I am thinking of moving to one of these three areas in Melbourne... does any live there or can tell me what it is like?

We are looking to rent a 3 bed family home with garden. We have two infants, so easy access to shops and park is important. Easy access via train to the CBD is important, which is why I picked these areas.

Regards
Alex
Old Sep 1st 2005, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pascoe Vale, Glenroy, Oak Park - what's it like?

Originally Posted by alexleeson
I am thinking of moving to one of these three areas in Melbourne... does any live there or can tell me what it is like?

We are looking to rent a 3 bed family home with garden. We have two infants, so easy access to shops and park is important. Easy access via train to the CBD is important, which is why I picked these areas.

Regards
Alex

Hi there, This is an area which I started my life in Australia in. In actual fact I Havn't moved too far from there an am in the Same muncipality, although slightly closer to the City. Basically Oak Park, Pascoe Vale, And Glenroy, is the Suburburn Part of the Muncipality of Moreland. Plenty of late 60's onwards houses. Oak Park and Pascoe Vale in particular are very Green Suburbs with plenty of trees, and bonus, plenty of hills which afford great views, Mostly towards the city. Price Range for a Decent house in PV and Oak Park, would start about 450,000 AUD upwards.

Glenroy, One has to be careful of, as the Northern side of Glenroy is closely connected to the old commission (council house) Area of Broadmeadows. So avoid anything near Widford st. Houseprices in this area, will be 40 pct cheaper than the other two areas you have mentioned, and that may seem attractive to someone that Doesn't know the Area. However That part of Glenroy also probably affords some of the best capitol gains available in Melbourne right now. As the Commission problems, have moved away to outer suburbs like Melton, and Sunbury.

All these Areas are within 25 mins of the City, Glenroy has two basic shopping strips, with three smallish Supermarkets, Coles and IGA around Pascoe Vale Road, and Safeway at a ajdacent shopping street, in the 'upmarket' part of Glenroy around West St in hadfeild.

Schools, I'd say only two of the Secondary Schools are viable in the Area, both of which are in the top 1/3rd of performing schools in the State. Pascoe Vale girls School, and Strathmore high. Conversely Box Forest high, is one of the poorest performing in the state.

For value for money, I would head for the area between Glenroy Rd and Hilton street in Glenroy. Houses are large, oldish, need some small renovation, but come on huge blocks for the area, and could almost certainly double in value in the nextl 8-10 years. If you need a more suburburn and more steady comfortable transition to Australia, and be say 2 to 3 Km's closer to the city and freeway, Then anywhere in Oak Park, or Pascoe Vale will suffice, you'll find your neighbours hardworking mid managerial types in this area, or they will be 2nd generation, italian and greeks, lovely people actually. The one problem with most of PV and Oak park, is you must own a car possibly two, as you have to drive to the shops.

BTW, to own a house (with the equivalent extra cost of rent of course) in the shopping strip part of Pascoe Vale, Near Gaffney and Cumberland road, you would need at least 500,000 to buy a house that would cost 330,000 in Glenroy.

Best of Luck, and hope the above helps.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 1st 2005 at 3:23 am.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

alexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - it does indeed help. I think we will look more closely at oak park and pascoe vale. I have seen that a decent 3 bed house rents for about 250 a week - which is exactly my budget...

My relatives in Victoria (in Creswick), wanted us to look at Melton (as it is closer to them!), but it just seemed a bit too far - and you mention that it is the council house area..

Regards
Old Sep 1st 2005, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexleeson
Thanks - it does indeed help. I think we will look more closely at oak park and pascoe vale. I have seen that a decent 3 bed house rents for about 250 a week - which is exactly my budget...

My relatives in Victoria (in Creswick), wanted us to look at Melton (as it is closer to them!), but it just seemed a bit too far - and you mention that it is the council house area..

Regards

It's more that Melton has very cheap housing, which combined with the fact that it was mostly built at the same time. Means that there are heaps of teenagers young people all of the same age, with nothing to do and little supervision. Lots of youngsters walking around with nothing to do = to not the nicest of areas.

Pascoe Vale and Oak Park are amongst the best suburbs in the Northern Suburbs, and indeed the whole of Melbourne.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 6:36 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's more that Melton has very cheap housing, which combined with the fact that it was mostly built at the same time. Means that there are heaps of teenagers young people all of the same age, with nothing to do and little supervision. Lots of youngsters walking around with nothing to do = to not the nicest of areas.

Pascoe Vale and Oak Park are amongst the best suburbs in the Northern Suburbs, and indeed the whole of Melbourne.

If I move back to Melbourne, I would want to be in as close proximity to Sydney Rd as possible.....Love the shops all the way along there!!!
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hels
If I move back to Melbourne, I would want to be in as close proximity to Sydney Rd as possible.....Love the shops all the way along there!!!
Opps I forgot to mention, that alex, would be within 10 mins of supposedly the Longest shopping strip in the SouthernHemp, Certainly Australia.

I would find it almost impossible to move from here I reckon.