Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Partners visa what type of Driving licencewill you get?

Partners visa what type of Driving licencewill you get?

Old May 13th 2009, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future
Default Partners visa what type of Driving licencewill you get?

HI,

unfortunatelly I own EU driving licence, but not on exclusion list. I will initially arrive on Partner's visa, does this mean I will be able to get only temporary driving licence for the first 2 years?
Old May 14th 2009, 1:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partners visa what type of Driving licencewill you get?

Originally Posted by Dubaiboy
HI,

unfortunatelly I own EU driving licence, but not on exclusion list.
What is meant by this? What country is it?

I will initially arrive on Partner's visa, does this mean I will be able to get only temporary driving licence for the first 2 years?

What state/territory are you going to?
Old May 14th 2009, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

....... and what visa are you arriving on?
Old May 14th 2009, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAJ
What is meant by this? What country is it?

What state/territory are you going to?
You can drive on any overseas licence if it is recognised by the aussie authorities regardless of visa type. If you are coming to oz on a PR visa or as an aussie citizen then you have 3 months to apply for an aussie licence. If you visa is temp such as 457 you can drive on the overseas licence for the entire 4 years. Each state has a different licensing authority by the way. To convert from overseas to aussie licence if you have a licence from one of the following countries you just need to take an eye test. Recognised countries
Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey, Ireland, Isle of Man (licences issued since 1 April 1991), Italy, Japan, Jersey, Luxembourg, Malta (licences issued since 2 January 2004), Netherlands, New Zealand (except where a paper licence is presented), Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, USA.

Any other country you have to take the full driving test.
Old May 14th 2009, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future

Thanks guys, unfortunately I have Slovakian licence and I will be arrivin on partners visa which means temporary for first 2 years....

I will be based either in Sydney or Melbourne but long term plan is to live in Mel.

The reason I ask is to know whether I would be ableto apply for jobs where Driving licence is a must...

Cheers
Old May 14th 2009, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys, unfortunately I have Slovakian licence and I will be arrivin on partners visa which means temporary for first 2 years....

I will be based either in Sydney or Melbourne but long term plan is to live in Mel.

The reason I ask is to know whether I would be ableto apply for jobs where Driving licence is a must...

Cheers
It's unlikely you will get a job requiring driving on a Slovakian licence, I can't get one on a uk licence :-(
Most jobs state must hold australian licence
Old May 14th 2009, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

And I cannot get the licence unless I have PR, right? Bummer...those jobs are out now ;(
Old May 14th 2009, 9:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And I cannot get the licence unless I have PR, right? Bummer...those jobs are out now ;(
I don't think there is anything stopping you from transferring your licence now. If you arrive on PR you MUST transfer it within a short time, but there's nothing to stop you doing it on a temp spouse visa as far as I know.
Check the website for the State you will be in when you arrive.
Old May 14th 2009, 11:36 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I don't think there is anything stopping you from transferring your licence now. If you arrive on PR you MUST transfer it within a short time, but there's nothing to stop you doing it on a temp spouse visa as far as I know.
Check the website for the State you will be in when you arrive.
I'm in Tasssie and I got mine swapped over and I was on a spouse visa!
Wish I hadn't, Got banned for speeding soon after getting here but thats another story!!
Gary
Old May 14th 2009, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.