Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Partner Migration and working

Partner Migration and working

Old Nov 5th 2002, 5:55 pm
Oscar

Question Partner Migration and working

I am thinking of applying soon for migration under the interdependent partner scheme. As I understand it, I need to first obtain a temporary visa for two years and then permanent residency thereafter. My question is - will I have the right to work in this initial two year period when I'll only have a temp visa ?
Grateful for any help.

Old Nov 5th 2002, 8:09 pm
Hippy chick

Elspeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Partner Migration and working

I am thinking of applying soon for migration under the interdependent partner scheme. As I understand it, I need to first obtain a temporary visa for two years and then permanent residency thereafter. My question is - will I have the right to work in this initial two year period when I'll only have a temp visa ?
Grateful for any help.

you can work after the first 6 months on the temporary visa, or you can apply to have a work permit added, I have done this, got it yesterday wooooo hoooooo
Old Nov 6th 2002, 11:51 am
plucka

My understanding is that there are no work restrictions at all. My girlfriend got her spouse visa the other week and yes it is initally 2 years temporary but the lady who gave it to us said there are no work restrictions, she can get a job the first day she arrives. The only exception to this is possibly some government jobs which require citizenship.

Old Nov 7th 2002, 12:36 am
Hippy chick

Elspeth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by plucka
My understanding is that there are no work restrictions at all. My girlfriend got her spouse visa the other week and yes it is initally 2 years temporary but the lady who gave it to us said there are no work restrictions, she can get a job the first day she arrives. The only exception to this is possibly some government jobs which require citizenship.
Think it depends on how you do it, I applied for mine in Australia, and on the bridging visa you cant work, I guess if you get it outside aus it coudl be different
Old Nov 14th 2002, 2:51 am
Just Joined

scooterboy is an unknown quantity at this point

From my experience, you can work straight away. I got my 2 year temporary resident visa on interdependant grounds in August following a bridged visitors visa on which I could not work on. It is correct that you are exempt from permanent Government jobs, however, you are allowed to work for them on a contract basis. Following the 2 year temporary period you can take up Governement jobs as a permanent resident.

The only other restriction is that during the 2 years as a temporary resident you will be regarded as an International Student if you want to study and will have to pay fees about 3 times the normal rate.

Unfortunately, I found the visa easier to get than a job (IT) and I'm heading home. Shame, Oz is a great place. Good luck.