Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

part time office work in brisbane

part time office work in brisbane

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:26 am
jon&a mp;kate

jon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud of
Question part time office work in brisbane

We have just moved to brisbane (springfield lakes)and i am looking for part time office admin work 3-4 days a week around school hours or even 8.30-3.00.Have any of you been in the same position and could point me in the right direction with good recruitment firms.I was a p/a in the uk but not found many part time jobs for this role.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: part time office work in brisbane

Originally Posted by jon&kate
We have just moved to brisbane (springfield lakes)and i am looking for part time office admin work 3-4 days a week around school hours or even 8.30-3.00.Have any of you been in the same position and could point me in the right direction with good recruitment firms.I was a p/a in the uk but not found many part time jobs for this role.
Good luck with this, part time work is very hard to get, especially something that is paying over $18 an hour! For some reason, despite the employee/skills shortages employers don't seem to have cottoned on to the amount of mums out there that want to work around their children, hence few part time jobs are available and lots of competition for those that are.

I was just talking with a recruiter about this the other day, she was saying how she gets inundated with applications for any part time roles she advertises.

Anyway, it's not impossible, I've had a few part time PA jobs over the years which I got from the local paper (Courier mail, South West News) and also advertised on SEEK via an agency. It could also be worth seeing if you can find temp part time work which would at least get your foot in the door. A lot of companies these days seem to prefer temp to perm scenario.

In my experience, agencies are usually fairly useless and unprofessional (do a search for threads on this, it seems to be the general consensus). Not sure if you are keen on public sector, but the unis and hospitals etc are usually pretty good for part time roles.

Good luck!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:29 am
jon&a mp;kate

jon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud of

thanks for the reply.I guess the ideal job would be in a school but again im sure these jobs are few and far between.I have applied for 1 not to far from home so fingers crossed for that.Do you have kids?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon&kate
thanks for the reply.I guess the ideal job would be in a school but again im sure these jobs are few and far between.I have applied for 1 not to far from home so fingers crossed for that.Do you have kids?
Yes, I have two girls, aged 11 and 8. You? I've pretty much always worked either full time or part time since I've been in Aus (7.5 yrs). Part time is definitely preferable! However, I'm now studying full time at uni, so I'm a bludger in the holidays , with the odd bit of temp work here and there.

The commute is a nightmare, if you can get something close to home then you're laughing. I've always been happier with a position closer to home, saves you a couple of hours a day, even if the money's not as good.

Good luck with the one you applied for. Have you checked out all the websites: www.seek.com.au, www.careerone.com.au and www.mycareer.com.au?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:46 am
jon&a mp;kate

two boys 7 and 3.always worked full time in the uk as my mum looked after the boys.What part of brissie are you?Yeah something near home would be good but will keep looking just in case.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

I'm in the same boat and basically don't expect to get a part time job really. I have applied for a couple but they're rare as hen's teeth. I'm also applying for full time in the hope I can get my foot in the door and then maybe persuade them to keep me on in a part time role. I had thought about temping but haven't been down that road as yet.
Good luck
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The govt is having to become more flexible and allow job sharing for staff returning to work from maternity leave. We have a growing number of part-timers for that reason. Keep your eye on www.jobs.qld.gov.au as you may pick something up there.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The govt is having to become more flexible and allow job sharing for staff returning to work from maternity leave. We have a growing number of part-timers for that reason. Keep your eye on www.jobs.qld.gov.au as you may pick something up there.
Thanks Polly