Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which part of emigration was the most stressful

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Which lost you the most hair?
Getting Visa
26.83%
Selling House
39.02%
Packing
4.88%
Buying New House
2.44%
Finding a Job
19.51%
Settling the Family
7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 17th 2004, 10:11 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Which part of emigration was the most stressful

Old Apr 17th 2004, 10:24 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which part of emigration was the most stressful

Originally posted by bondipom
OMFG Ive just done the first two i hope to hell it doesnt get any more stressfull
Old Apr 17th 2004, 10:27 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Selling the uk house for us because the system is such a nightmare and its almost impossible to be certain of timing until the very end.
The endless goodbyes of the last couple of weeks were the worst bit though, would rather sell 10 houses than do that again
Old Apr 17th 2004, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

I voted for selling house as I am still there after the buyer has flunked his finance twice, through idiocy. (part of my property is business, he has twice tried using purely domestic finance)

Phil.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 10:29 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by biggy
OMFG Ive just done the first two i hope to hell it doesnt get any more stressfull
Selling the UK house does strike me as very stressful.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to be a pain .... *groans all round*....

I found the most stressful part by far was preparing to say, and then actually saying, goodbye to family - especially the older folks. I felt like shit doing it.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 6:24 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by bondipom
You missed off ' saying goodbye to family and friends'
I found that sad and stressful

Other than that it was getting a job.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 8:48 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

buying a house in nz was more stressful than selling in the north of england uk and it took us ages to sell.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 9:04 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

just on a side note...

i went to see the doc last week as i've not been feeling too well. the doc didn't have a clue what it was, but asked if i had anything on my mind?!!! i bet he wished he hadn't asked by the time i'd finished!!

anyway,... gonna vote for selling the house. I'm not there yet but i'm already stressed out about getting the thing in to a condition that someone might actually want to buy it. another month and the boards will be up though! Then i can get stressed about keeping the place tidy!

I'm actually more stressed about the visa getting here before i'm ready, as i know if i had it in my passport i'd be tempted to say FTLOY i'm off! and leave everything as is.

Old Apr 17th 2004, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Got to agree with Jane, the goodbyes for us where the most stressfull by far.
Joanne
Old Apr 17th 2004, 9:17 pm
Go Banana's !!

Selling house, 'cos still in that nightmare. May look back and laugh but really beginning to hate my house, which on the up side may be a good thing !

Jill

Old Apr 17th 2004, 10:28 pm
Badge

Sellin the flat was stressful, but I don't cry about it as that is always stressful especially if you had circumstances like mine.

Looking for work is certainly BORING, I would say. Always is.

For me, the hardest part, was having to be in the UK and just wait....the 'seperation' was hard.

BM

Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:30 am

Mastermind is on a distinguished road

Don't forget the skills assessment!
It can be very stressful to collect all papers and certificates. Especially if you don't have the desired education but over 17 years practical experience in the field.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:31 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

For me it had to be selling UK house first, then selling UK house and finally UK house sale. Oh - did I mention that selling the house was a bit stressful?

It took 18 months to sell after I had come out here. It was not being rented as it was constantly on the verge of being sold. I was paying a UK mortgage with an Aus salary. I had the neighbour from hell who was busy taking me to court over a dispute with a retaining wall - and enjoyed telling all my prospective buyers that there was a good chance that they would end up embroiled in the whole mess - she cost me two sales and the final buyer dropped 10k GBP at the last minute because of it. I was having to ring estate agents and insurance agents and loss adjusters and solicitors late at night here to catch them at work. The whole thing was a nightmare.

Everything else was a stroll in the park.

Visa - done through work
Job - done through work
Buying a house - easy - once I had sold the one in the UK - that was a bit stressful - did I already say that?
Settling family - they were already here, so easy

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Apr 19th 2004, 1:04 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

BUMP!!

Interesting thread/poll!

Though, I think, only people who've been through the whole proces should vote.
How can you know the house sale is worse if you haven't experienced the rest yet?
(though, I can imagine it's very frustrating, and I'm glad we rent still!!!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.