Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Parrots in the Garden - Brisbane

Parrots in the Garden - Brisbane

Old Sep 14th 2005, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Parrots in the Garden - Brisbane

Ive seen it mentioned a few times and like the idea of wild parrots in our back garden. So much in fact that I have told the children we will have them when we arrive in Brissie next July!

Now what I need to know is do parrots reside in back gardens all over Brisbane or do I need to be looking at specific areas to live to get them.

Sod the schools, drive into CBD, public transport, near the beach requirements I NEED PARROTS IN MY GARDEN!
Old Sep 14th 2005, 11:04 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parrots in the Garden - Brisbane

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Ive seen it mentioned a few times and like the idea of wild parrots in our back garden. So much in fact that I have told the children we will have them when we arrive in Brissie next July!

Now what I need to know is do parrots reside in back gardens all over Brisbane or do I need to be looking at specific areas to live to get them.

Sod the schools, drive into CBD, public transport, near the beach requirements I NEED PARROTS IN MY GARDEN!

That's it luv....you get your priorities right!
Old Sep 14th 2005, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure about Parrots, but can pretty much confirm that you will have bats in your garden and they have an uncanny ability to wait till you have just put your washing out to fly overhead and leave lovely purple deposits all over your lovely clean clothes!!

I am not in Brissy, but we get Rosella's and Lorikeets in our garden every day!!

Hels
Old Sep 14th 2005, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
That's it luv....you get your priorities right!
Well I have promised the kids havnt I.

But I suppose I could tell them the bats scared them off!!
Old Sep 14th 2005, 11:17 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have promised the kids havnt I.

But I suppose I could tell them the bats scared them off!!

NO! you will have to buy some now...can't let the children down!
Old Sep 14th 2005, 11:43 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

What about these - this is our front verandah - no zoom, pic taken standing at arms length.
Attached Thumbnails Parrots in the Garden - Brisbane-1cockatoo.jpg   Parrots in the Garden - Brisbane-2-cockatoos.jpg   Parrots in the Garden - Brisbane-4-cockatoos.jpg   Parrots in the Garden - Brisbane-5-cockatoos.jpg  
Old Sep 14th 2005, 11:51 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

And around our pool.

Dont have any of the lorikeets or pink & grey galahs that we get here, or the pale headed rosella (I think it is) pair that sometimes come & sit on the verandah rail.

Driving down through Capalaba yesterday, there were 2 Pink & Grey galahs sitting on the side of the road on the footpath not 3 feet from the cars going past eating grass seed.

Lorikeets are everywhere, if you find youself close to somewhere that they roost in the evenings you'll probably end up wishing you had never seen a parrot in your garden. Literally thousands of them in one place & so noisy you can hardly hear yourself speak. Ask Moneypen what it was like, I took her to a place close to where we live where they roost .
Attached Thumbnails Parrots in the Garden - Brisbane-cockatoos1.jpg  
Old Sep 15th 2005, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

We get lorikeets in our garden, they are beautifull as are the pink and grey birds we get too. I was wondering are lorikeets the same as parrots. They sure look like them, prob are a type of parrot.

Katie
Old Sep 15th 2005, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Diamond Lil will become famous soon enoughDiamond Lil will become famous soon enough

If you have room for a bird bath in your garden you can almost guarantee at least lorikeets. We also put wild bird seed out every day which brings them in. Don't put seed or water anywhere near your washing line.

Liz
Old Sep 15th 2005, 12:39 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

There seems to be a rule in nature: The prettier the bird, the uglier the noise it makes.

Bloody lorikeets make a shocking noise. Pink Galahs aren't too bad. Noisy Minors, as their name suggests are noisy things.

Oh there is one exception to the rule. Australian Ravens are ugly and make an ugly noise, and if I ever buy an air rifle their population is going to decrease rapidly.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Tried to send a pic of big colourful parrots in our Mooloolaba back yard. But file to big. So unless someone lets me know how to shrink it you will have to imagine them.
Rachel
Old Sep 15th 2005, 3:06 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

we had some black cockatoos in the tree the other day, i can't remember what they were, but we'd seen the pair flying around for a few days... of course they'd flown before the camera came out.

We've also had cockatoos, galahs, some bright red things that are very camera shy and some tiny little finch things. We can hear Kookaburras some days too, but have yet to see one in the garden.

I love this about australia,...
Old Sep 15th 2005, 4:20 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have any when you arrive, I can do you a good deal on some budgies and a koala. If anyone asks, there were there when you arrived.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by diddy
If you don't have any when you arrive, I can do you a good deal on some budgies and a koala. If anyone asks, there were there when you arrived.
If you want to impress everyone that you have koala bears in your garden is to use a nail gun to fix them to a tree. Use as many nails as possible to get the pose just right. Take pictures to record them in your tree.

Oh, you already bought koala bears from a tourist shop.

Made in China right?

Lucky then we dont have koala bears out in the wild! The synthetic fur would go funny after a while.....

WW
Old Sep 15th 2005, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hels
Not sure about Parrots, but can pretty much confirm that you will have bats in your garden and they have an uncanny ability to wait till you have just put your washing out to fly overhead and leave lovely purple deposits all over your lovely clean clothes!!

I am not in Brissy, but we get Rosella's and Lorikeets in our garden every day!!

Hels
For fruit bats, the Black Swamp in Cleveland at dusk is a good place to watch the sky change colour. If you have palm trees or golden cane that is seeding at the moment the bats will visit.

WW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.