Parochialism

Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:21 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parochialism

The so called national news on the TV channels is in fact a state based news broadcast. There is not a national news followed by local news format like in the UK.

I sometimes wonder if anything is happening outside of NSW/ACT.

Then there are the parochial attitudes.

According to NSW

Melbourne is Mexico although a very wet Mexico.

Tasmania is so sparsely populated that everyone is related

Queensland is full of pig hunting Hanson loving farmers

NT, WA and SA just do not get a mention but I think that is because they do not play league. Does anything happen there other than nut case murders and kidnaps?

Anyone else know any other regional prejudices?

The reasons go back to the colonial days when each state was ruled separately from London. Melbourne and Sydney could not agree who was going to be the capital so they built Canberra in the middle.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:33 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

there was major falling out in 19th century between SA and Vic over who was going to get NT that adds to it as well.Think the row was over the pasture land and also the laying of the over land telegraph line that was to link OZ to London and the rest of the world. Both sides wanted to run/control the NT
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:34 am
Badge

Default Re: Parochialism

Apparently Queensland doesn't have Daylight Savings because

a) The extra sun would bleach the curtains!
a) it would give all the farmers erections on the bus to work.

The news is always like "meanwhile, elsewhere in the state".

I found that in NSW, parts of WA ("Wait Awhile") NT ("Not Tuesday", "Not Thursday", "Not Today") etc are literally the other side of the world - and they may as well be when you consider the distances. I said to a mate in NSW "I've been here [in Australia] 6 months and haven't left QLD and NSW."

She said "I've been here 37 years and have never left NSW".

I noticed though for all the distances that aussie is a small country - everyone has rellies in another state - mention even a small town in the East coast and everyone (on the East coast) will know it or have mates there. Especially if they have played or coached sport - or at representative level. I bumped in to people from London in the Eastern Beaches unexpectedly.

But even in the UK I haven't been everywhere. I have never been further north than B'Ham. I've been to Scotland many times on the train, but never stopped in the North.

Last edited by badgersmount; Oct 7th 2003 at 9:40 am.

Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:47 am

Originally posted by badgersmount
Apparently Queensland doesn't have Daylight Savings because

a) The extra sun would bleach the curtains!
a) it would give all the farmers erections on the bus to work.

The news is always like "meanwhile, elsewhere in the state".

I found that in NSW, parts of WA ("Wait Awhile") NT ("Not Tuesday", "Not Thursday", "Not Today") etc are literally the other side of the world - and they may as well be when you consider the distances. I said to a mate in NSW "I've been here [in Australia] 6 months and haven't left QLD and NSW."

She said "I've been here 37 years and have never left NSW".

I noticed though for all the distances that aussie is a small country - everyone has rellies in another state - mention even a small town in the East coast and everyone (on the East coast) will know it or have mates there. Especially if they have played or coached sport - or at representative level. I bumped in to people from London in the Eastern Beaches unexpectedly.

But even in the UK I haven't been everywhere. I have never been further north than B'Ham. I've been to Scotland many times on the train, but never stopped in the North.

wow Birmingham that is far North. I get scared of the flat caps when I get over the Thames.

Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:57 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
wow Birmingham that is far North. I get scared of the flat caps when I get over the Thames.

ha ha ha, you two are very funny!! (I am laughing with you by the way, Im not being sarcastic)
Do southerners still have that misconception that all northerners have flat caps? You should read a fabulous book by a guy called Fred Pass called 'weerz mi dad' (probably available thru waterstones) all about growing up in 40's & 50's sheffield (flat cap capital of the north) - they all wore flat caps then!!
the old geezers around here still wear flat caps and you can buy caps in the market for a couple of quid!! will be more than willing to send you a couple thru the post if it will help you overcome your fear!!!

sue
Old Oct 7th 2003, 12:09 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the ferrets and the racing pidgeons
I always thought we needed a passport to get to HUll well I'm from Grimsby
Old Oct 7th 2003, 1:00 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

[
[/QUOTE]

I[/QUOTE]
And they all say "chuffin 'ell" and "ecky thump" and its grim up north!!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 1:55 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by h garrett
[

I[/QUOTE]
And they all say "chuffin 'ell" and "ecky thump" and its grim up north!! [/QUOTE]

LMAO!!!
ackchewally, chufin ell has been replaced by f###in' 'ell (see robert carlisle - full monty)!!!
and it is bloody grim up here!! just spent the afternoon surfing the net checking out adelaide (where we hope to eventually land some time 2/3yrs)'cos short of going to meadowhall (called meadowHELL by locals) shopping centre and spending my savings, there is bog all to do!
too cold and windy to go swimming (cant be arsed with the dull walk to ponds forge) and the local parks are full of the local alcoholics (aka school kids) so no point in going for a walk.

by eck its chilly, ar tha nesh or summat?

sue
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:27 pm

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
ha ha ha, you two are very funny!! (I am laughing with you by the way, Im not being sarcastic)
Do southerners still have that misconception that all northerners have flat caps? You should read a fabulous book by a guy called Fred Pass called 'weerz mi dad' (probably available thru waterstones) all about growing up in 40's & 50's sheffield (flat cap capital of the north) - they all wore flat caps then!!
the old geezers around here still wear flat caps and you can buy caps in the market for a couple of quid!! will be more than willing to send you a couple thru the post if it will help you overcome your fear!!!

sue
Aye and you all eat coal as there is no food up there.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

'ave a good feed on tripe and drippin butties,and take whippets for a walk.Had a look at wife swap tonight proves that f***ing hell has replaced every other expletives in the whole of the north no matter where your from.
Have a nice f***ing day now
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:47 pm

Originally posted by bondipom
Aye and you all eat coal as there is no food up there.
My dad is a Yorkshire man and mum is from Sussex. The Sussex side of the family regard north London as north. I have lived in Manchester for a couple of years and been out in Newcastle, Birmigham and Coventry. I got a bit sick of carrying that sack coal though.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 1:37 am
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking as a proud Brummie (as you do).....I'd just like to point out that we are actually the MIDLANDS! not the North! LOL :lecture:

We are more sophisticated than them up there, yet still retain the working class values that the southerners do not have!

There.....that should do it!
Old Oct 8th 2003, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point

We are more sophisticated than them up there, yet still retain the working class values that the southerners do not have!

Excuse me! Dangerous ground here, more sophisticated with a Brummie accent, takes some believing!

Signed a proud Mancunian
Old Oct 8th 2003, 3:15 am
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

We invented sophistication....LOL
Old Oct 8th 2003, 3:46 am

Maybe us Poms are worse!!

Despite Brummie appeals the North is north of the Watford Gap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.