Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Parents visa problem and medical costs

Parents visa problem and medical costs

Old May 13th 2010, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Tuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really nice
Default Parents visa problem and medical costs

Sorry people I have just put this stuff out on the wrong thread but now I have found the correct way to do it. My parents came here ten years ago (they are in their 70's) they are not in the best of health and we are worried that because of the cost of health care here they are in danger of losing every thing that they have worked for. They have paid into the British system all their lives and now that that they are in possible need of good inexpensive care we feel they should return there. They are not entitled to any public health care here but are resisting all our efforts to persuade them to return to the UK. My entire family would be more than grateful to hear from anybody who can shed some light on the possible consequences of getting sick here without proper cover. There must be someone out there who has been in this situation and seen the devastating cost of this. Please let us know your story, if only to show them that everything in the garden is not 'rosy'. Thanks people. Tuvalu (from the Goa forum)XXXXXXXX
Old May 13th 2010, 10:24 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents visa problem and medical costs

Originally Posted by Tuvalu
Sorry people I have just put this stuff out on the wrong thread but now I have found the correct way to do it. My parents came here ten years ago (they are in their 70's) they are not in the best of health and we are worried that because of the cost of health care here they are in danger of losing every thing that they have worked for. They have paid into the British system all their lives and now that that they are in possible need of good inexpensive care we feel they should return there. They are not entitled to any public health care here but are resisting all our efforts to persuade them to return to the UK. My entire family would be more than grateful to hear from anybody who can shed some light on the possible consequences of getting sick here without proper cover. There must be someone out there who has been in this situation and seen the devastating cost of this. Please let us know your story, if only to show them that everything in the garden is not 'rosy'. Thanks people. Tuvalu (from the Goa forum)XXXXXXXX
But you are here? too?
Old May 13th 2010, 11:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuvalu
Sorry people I have just put this stuff out on the wrong thread but now I have found the correct way to do it. My parents came here ten years ago (they are in their 70's) they are not in the best of health and we are worried that because of the cost of health care here they are in danger of losing every thing that they have worked for.

On what visa did they come to Australia, and what visa do they have now?
Old May 13th 2010, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Tuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really niceTuvalu is just really nice

Hi Jaj. Thanks for your early response. They came here on a Retirement Visa which they still have. I understand that only 6000 of these were issued before they were stopped and under this they are not entitled to Medicare. Tuvalu
Old May 13th 2010, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
But you are here? too?
Sorry Geelong Gent I didn't make it clear. We are here for a month visiting them to try to sort some things out.
Old May 13th 2010, 10:19 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

But we have a public health care system also unlike the USA for example. And they might very well be able to get medicare because :

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...isitors/uk.jsp

"If you applied for or received Subclass Visa 410 (Retiree Visa) prior to 1 December 1998 you may apply to participate in the Medicare program under the RHCA of your home country. If you applied for Subclass Visa 410 on or after 1 December 1998 you are not eligible for enrolment in the Medicare program and are not eligible under the RHCA. "

RHCA = Reciprocal Health Care Agreement

Basically if they came on a 410 before 1998 then they might get medicare here funded in effect via the contributions made in the UK ! You say that they have been here for 10 years so maybe a real option for you.
Old May 14th 2010, 12:54 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Why not sponsor them for an Aged Parent Visa?
Old May 14th 2010, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

If they can get a medicare agreement card it would be good, I have used this for 2years and my kids have existing medical issues. (Now have PR)

The hospitals in WA treated the agreement card the same as the Aussie version. A big city and small regional hospital both told me this.
We had operations, hospital consultant appointments, rare tests, overnight sleep study, etc. You name it we got it for free using the agreement card.

The only thing is it must be necessary treatment.

Id seriously chase up if they are eligable for the medicare agreement card.
Ive now got the PR card and only thing that has changed is the colour!

Gems
Old May 14th 2010, 1:06 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gems
If they can get a medicare agreement card it would be good, I have used this for 2years and my kids have existing medical issues. (Now have PR)

The hospitals in WA treated the agreement card the same as the Aussie version. A big city and small regional hospital both told me this.
We had operations, hospital consultant appointments, rare tests, overnight sleep study, etc. You name it we got it for free using the agreement card.

The only thing is it must be necessary treatment.

Id seriously chase up if they are eligable for the medicare agreement card.
Ive now got the PR card and only thing that has changed is the colour!

Gems
What colour was other card - was it brown?
Old May 14th 2010, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Thank you people, please keep the info and advice coming. Tuvalu
Old May 14th 2010, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Centurion
But we have a public health care system also unlike the USA for example. And they might very well be able to get medicare because :

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...isitors/uk.jsp

"If you applied for or received Subclass Visa 410 (Retiree Visa) prior to 1 December 1998 you may apply to participate in the Medicare program under the RHCA of your home country. If you applied for Subclass Visa 410 on or after 1 December 1998 you are not eligible for enrolment in the Medicare program and are not eligible under the RHCA. "

RHCA = Reciprocal Health Care Agreement

Basically if they came on a 410 before 1998 then they might get medicare here funded in effect via the contributions made in the UK ! You say that they have been here for 10 years so maybe a real option for you.
Thanks Centurion. They came here almost exactly 10 years ago so unfortunately have missed that particular boat