Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Parent Visa Question

Parent Visa Question

Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of
Default Parent Visa Question

Hi,

The parents have been over, loved it, and want to come back to stay. Reading all the stuff on parent visas, it seems you can sponsor them as a permanent resident (They pass all the criteria), but you need to be 'settled'. Now, it says typically 2 years on the immi site.

What does typically mean. Anyone know of a case being less than 2 years ? If not, can anyone advise on their options to apply for the visa on shore ?

We have been here 2 months so far, so not long. We are defo not going back, both have found jobs etc. But 2 months aint gonna cut it with dimia is it now.

They would really like to come out here mid 2008. I appreciate this means they will have to follow the contributory route, and even then depends on lead times with dimia.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:11 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Parent Visa Question

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
Hi,

The parents have been over, loved it, and want to come back to stay. Reading all the stuff on parent visas, it seems you can sponsor them as a permanent resident (They pass all the criteria), but you need to be 'settled'. Now, it says typically 2 years on the immi site.

What does typically mean. Anyone know of a case being less than 2 years ? If not, can anyone advise on their options to apply for the visa on shore ?

We have been here 2 months so far, so not long. We are defo not going back, both have found jobs etc. But 2 months aint gonna cut it with dimia is it now.

They would really like to come out here mid 2008. I appreciate this means they will have to follow the contributory route, and even then depends on lead times with dimia.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi

2 parts:

Check out the thread in the Barbie section on Contributory Parent visas - I would do a link but not sure how There is loads of info in there - pick the bones. You may also want to "introduce" yourself on that thread also - there are various applicants in there at different stages of waiting!

Booklet 3 on the DIMA site is essential reading - its all there - including the visa charges - Suggest you wade through that and you'll have most of the info you need. Check to see if they would pass the Balance of Family Test first off - if they don't they can proceed no further with this particular visa application.

You are correct re the 2 year part - I believe there are no shortcuts - and if you are to be the sponsor/assurer you will need to prove earnings over a particular timeframe.

Regards

Jim
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
You are correct re the 2 year part - I believe there are no shortcuts - and if you are to be the sponsor/assurer you will need to prove earnings over a particular timeframe.

Regards

Jim
that's also 2 years
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
that's also 2 years
And although you the set ammount you must earn is say $43000 at the momment in 2 years time it may have go up to $53000 and you would have to earn't that both years .....

This why it is best to wait til you are 'settled' and you know that you meet the critera then as they will not budge on the earnings of the AoS

So I would say the earliest they could move would be April 2009 if they apply Nov 2008 get meds done then move on a year tourist visa 676 or they could take the temp parent visa route which you would need to look up

Martin
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

Hey, thanks all so much for the replies.

I kinda guessed this would be the case, so now I need to break it to the parents !