Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paradox over the cost of living in Australia

Paradox over the cost of living in Australia

Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:56 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paradox over the cost of living in Australia

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
It'd be £3.50 now Was in N.London recently just in a normal pub and I bought half a coke and a bottle of WKD Blue it came to £6!

Glass of 175ml House White was £4.95. It makes me laugh when people think British pubs are going out of business because of the smoking ban I think it's because you need to get out a loan out to drunk!
£2.40 in my ex local in Derby....a few weeks ago.

Not all UK pubs are expensive....esp. outside of London.

Pubs here, in Brisbane, are very expensive in comparison.

G
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Not all Aus pubs are expensive....esp. outside of Brisbane

Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

G
I live outside of London about 2 hours away in fact! but Pub prices are creeping up here too. £3.00 is average for a pint and £3.50 for a bottle.

Maybe the North is a bit cheaper?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

ramlmmjem is on a distinguished road

G
Thanks to all for you input. I've found this incredibly helpful! Nearly ready to put pen to the contract!

As an aside, regarding the cost of a wine...went to one of the local pubs the other evening, asked for a red wine and was told they didn't have any...at any price!!!

Alistair
Old Jan 10th 2009, 5:56 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
1 kilo of ham from the deli at woolworths - $12

I bought this book from KMart last week for $19

I get my two the Super Deal package at $43 - when it's gone it's home time - that way they don't go mental with it.

http://www.thebeachouse.com.au/the_funcard.htm

I'm glad I have a foodland and bakers across the street! Bread is $1.70 from the bakers and milk is $3.70 for 2 litres.

Car tax (rego) is only minimal, it's the CTP that makes it expensive.

You really need to shop around

I buy ham from Woolies all the time. I have never paid that much for it - I don't even pay that price for steak!!
If you shopped at the Burnside, shopping village, you would understand why things are so expensive...........they don let you in the carpark, unless your driving a " Beamer or a Merc ".............mm:
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Been a while but its all swings and roundabouts:

Cinema tickets, CDs and jeans expensive - Pineapples and beef cheap.

It isn't the promised late - same poo - shinier bucket!!

Bezza
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bezzanbob

Cinema tickets, CDs and jeans expensive - Pineapples and beef cheap.

It isn't the promised late - same poo - shinier bucket!!

Bezza
Where abouts from the cotswolds? We're from Cheltenham and very much looking to our shinier bucket!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I have not read all the posts but in my opinion the UK is cheaper to live in than Australia by far, alright maybe not house wise or petrol or council rates but food, baby things, clothes and general living costs.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
If you shopped at the Burnside, shopping village, you would understand why things are so expensive...........they don let you in the carpark, unless your driving a " Beamer or a Merc ".............mm:

I won't go there then...I only have a 1992 Barina they might think I'm a bogan

I'll stick to Elizabeth shopping centre and the spend-a-penny type shops - save myself a good few thousand dollars per year
Old Jan 10th 2009, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice

[QUOTE=ramlmmjem;7126397]I've been reading the various posts for a few months now and have an offer on the table. One thing that has confused me somewhat (and which seems a little paradoxical) is that on the one hand a lot of people talk about the cost of living being as high if not higher than in the UK, while on the other a lot of people talk about having taken jobs with lower pay than they had in the UK.

While it is possible that, for some people, they've taken a pay cut from high paid posts for the lifestyle down-under and can still afford to live reasonably well on Australian prices, but they are just commenting on the overall cost of some items in the shops. However, logically, this is unlikely to be the case for everyone.

Are there people here who've taken a pay cut from the UK and found that the cost of living in Australia is lower?

My job was definately higher paid than in the uk and it needed to be.

There are some things that are cheaper, take meat for an instance. IMO you'd pay the same is pounds but the quality of food is much better here.

We would spend a hundred pounds a week for a family of four in uk we now spend over $220 here.

Clothes are exp
eating outs a bit cheaper
Houses are not cheaper than uk as advertised on certain programmes. Maybe they were 4 years ago but not anymore and If people come here without biggish deposits they'll need higher mortgages, although rates are dropping

We furnished our house for less than we would have in Uk

But then we were having to pay for private school which was working out $100 a week because we wasn't happy with public schools.

So somethings are higher some lower.

We furnished our house for less than you could in th UK
Old Jan 11th 2009, 12:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bev1
So somethings are higher some lower.
That sounds about right.

Old Jan 11th 2009, 12:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bezzanbob

Cinema tickets, CDs and jeans expensive
How do these cinema prices compare to the UK these days:

Our local Cinema Pricing Schedule:
When? How Much?
Weekends and evenings.* Adults $8.50
Students/Seniors $6.50 : Children/Pensioners $4.50
(Sat nights after 6pm and Public Holidays Pensioners are $6.00)

Budget Tuesdays! Adults $6.50
Students/Seniors $5.50 : Children/Pensioners $4.50

Weekday specials (day sessions only). Adults $6.50

Sunday evenings (after 4pm).* Adults $7.50

Child is 2-12 years : Student is 13+ must be fulltime

This cinema also features the biggest screen in Queensland at 25.5m wide.

Babes in Arms sessions are held every Wednesday morning (except school and public holidays). They are designed especially for people to bring young babies without having to worry about disturbing other people if the baby cries.

Old Jan 11th 2009, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How do these cinema prices compare to the UK these days:
To see Australia, on Sunday Afternoon 11th Jan

Odeon - Leeds/Bradford UK
6.55 per adult, 4.80 per child.

Cineworld - Bradford UK
5.60 per adult, 4.90 per child

Hoyts - Tea Tree Plaza, SA
$16.50 per adult, $12 per child.

Reading Cinema - Elizabeth, SA
$15 per adult, $11.50 per child.

Child for the SA ones are under 15.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 1:38 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Dendy, Opera Quays, Sydney - Adult $14.50, Child $10.00

Greater Union, George St, Sydney - Adult $16.50, Child $12.50
Old Jan 11th 2009, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

At today's exchange rate of 2.15682AUD to the pound (on xe.com)
6.55 is $14.13
5.60 is $12.08
4.80 is $10.35
4.90 is $10.57

So on average for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (under 15) it would cost approx $45 to $50 in the UK or $55 - $60 here.

But the seats are MUCH better here - they are wider and have their very own cup holder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.