Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paradise Resort Gold Coast

Paradise Resort Gold Coast

Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Sue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the rough
Default Paradise Resort Gold Coast

Hi all
can anyone help, we are doing our validation trip in November and were wanting to spend some time at the Paradise Resort on the Gold Coast and have heard there is building work, does anyone know how bad it is, and should we look at staying somewhere else.
all advise is gratefully welcome.
Thanks in advance
Sue
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Iando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant future
Default Re: Paradise Resort Gold Coast

I was going to stay there for our reccie and posted a similar threrad to yours - the feedback was 'dont stay there' so we didnt
I cant remember how much it was going to be but I was certainly put off by the comments on here and ended up in a cracking spot if a bit dearer. (Azzura Greens resort -north of gold coast but a good base for a reccie -let me know if you want more details)
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Jmbau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue McK
Hi all
can anyone help, we are doing our validation trip in November and were wanting to spend some time at the Paradise Resort on the Gold Coast and have heard there is building work, does anyone know how bad it is, and should we look at staying somewhere else.
all advise is gratefully welcome.
Thanks in advance
Sue
Hi,

The Paradise Resort is extrememly popular with families and has a really great rstaurant that you can eat in at night, whether you are staying there or not. All you can eat for $19.95 and children $5.00. At present building construction has been suspended on the resort. It is very much a family oriented resort so if you don't have children you probably would not want to stay here. Also, the rooms are hotel style with no cooking facilities so if you stayed there you will have to eat out all the time which means that the resort would end up costing you a lot more than if you stay in a self-contained apartment.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Annie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really nice

I concur with these other replies. Paradise Resort is a family resort, which everyone I know says looks way better in the photos than in reality - hence the building work! Actually, the new development is set to be huge.

A good reason to pick Paradise Resort, even if not exactly what you want, is that it is one of the few places on the Gold Coast with a kids club that seems to run not just in Qld school holidays. There are a few places that say they have a kids club, yet they are only open very selectively.

Kids club might be useful if you need some time without the kids. They will have a ball, by all accounts.

Rooms are hotel style, as previously mentioned, and I agree about the apartments. Unless you want hotel style, apartments offer you flexibility including things like cooking facilities and washing machines and dryers etc - which can be very handy.

When we did our reccie from Melbourne (bear in mind that we had holidayed on the Gold Coast) we stayed at Labrador which we found very convenient and out of the hubbub. Another good spot is Main Beach (we stayed there for 3 days whilst we waited for our furniture to arrive). It is close to the holiday feel, but away a bit from the rubbish that can go on in Surfers.

Schoolies is 22nd to 30th November - avoid surfers and surrounds during this time if you can!

Hope that helps a bit.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

DONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really nice

We stayed at the Paradise resort a couple of years ago, I thought the rooms were quite dirty. I have to say I was not impressed.

Sarah x
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DONOVAN
We stayed at the Paradise resort a couple of years ago, I thought the rooms were quite dirty. I have to say I was not impressed.

Sarah x
Same here. Really grotty, grungy dirty sort of place, hated it. I guess cheap family resort means you expect it to have a bit of wear and tear but this was plain grubby.

If its had total revamp, maybe its different now, but as it was then, forget it.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Sue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the rough

thanks everyone, will have a look into it.
cheers
sue
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed there a couple of years ago and though it was OK, if you have young kids.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm staying there right now and it's a lot better than I expected [there are some very negative reviews on the internet]. It's very clean and the staff are very good. The room is clean and has been refurbished. It can be a little bit noisy with the kids but by 9:30 most of them are asleep anyway !

Ok, some of it looks like it needs a little work but its very minor - the refurbishment is ongoing but has been stopped for moment - there is certainly no obvious signs of building work or anything like that.

If you have kids aged under 10 they will love it; any older than that and I suspect it will bore them.

p.s. a 10 min walk and you are amongst all the shops and restaurants but it's a little oasis away from it - all in all I'd recommend this place if you have small kids.

Last edited by hoofie2002; Sep 26th 2008 at 4:36 am. Reason: Another thought
Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Annie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really nice

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
I'm staying there right now and it's a lot better than I expected [there are some very negative reviews on the internet]. It's very clean and the staff are very good. The room is clean and has been refurbished. It can be a little bit noisy with the kids but by 9:30 most of them are asleep anyway !

Ok, some of it looks like it needs a little work but its very minor - the refurbishment is ongoing but has been stopped for moment - there is certainly no obvious signs of building work or anything like that.

If you have kids aged under 10 they will love it; any older than that and I suspect it will bore them.

p.s. a 10 min walk and you are amongst all the shops and restaurants but it's a little oasis away from it - all in all I'd recommend this place if you have small kids.
That's really good to hear - sounds like the multimillion dollar refurbishment has improved things... I have always been disappointed when going in there, but it is popular.