Pap Smear

Old Sep 5th 2007, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pap Smear

Originally Posted by Spikey
Oh, you've reminded me I need to get one done. I had an abnormal one about 5 years ago and treatment - I hadn't realised it was as bad as it was until we had our visa medicals and I got my medical records from the GP and the referral letter said 'urgent, CIN 2/3' all over it

I do remember reading though, and remember them telling me at the colposcopy that it's really rare for it to come back after treatment, it's something like 99% sucessful.

I hope that the results are clear - at least they'll come back fairly quickly, seem to remember at least a 6 week wait each time in the UK.
Hi my doctor told me that i had to be tested every year for the next 10 years, as i have a higher risk now of it returning. I know i was shocked when he said a few days for my results.

Stacey
Old Sep 5th 2007, 6:28 am
Newbie!

Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
Hi my doctor told me that i had to be tested every year for the next 10 years, as i have a higher risk now of it returning. I know i was shocked when he said a few days for my results.

Stacey
Yes, me too - the being checked annually for 10 years thing - but I still remember reading that it's actually quite unlikely to come back after treatment - but it's reassuring to be checked I think then you know they've got it early if there is anything.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:41 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tum
I live in the Netherlands and over here it's a
government arranged program where you get an invitation
every 5 years. You just go to your GP and the pap smear
is done, sent to the lab and after 3 weeks or so you get
the results.

Is it like this in OZ and - just being curious - how did it
work in the UK?
Hi Miranda,

in the UK the smear test is done every 3 years; in Oz it's done every year. (This is for people who've had "normal" results back. Don't know what happens for people with "abnormal" results.)

Also: once you get to your mid-40s and have always had "normal" results, the chance of getting anything abnormal is infitesimally small (according to my GP) and I now only need the test done every 5 years .

Gina
Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:50 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

I can't understand what you find so funny. I wished now i hadn't of bothered putting the thread on.

Stacey
Actually, I don't find it funny at all, and was just trying to make it a bit light hearted

I actually had abnormal results before I came to Oz 11 months ago. I had to have a repeat after 6 months, and am now due for another test. I am really scared and dreading the thought of having to go to the doctors to get another one done, as I nearly passed out the last time
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Been for my first Smear test here in OZ, and I get the results back in a few days. I’m a bit concerned as a few years ago I had severe abnormalities and I had to have a Large Loop Excision of the Cervix. Which was done through the NHS. It was all done very quickly. I know I shouldn’t feel like this but I have been having a few tale tale signs that something’s not right. What happens if my results come back abnormal again. We have no private health insurance. Would it cost me to have the treatment over here.

From a nervous Stacey
Paps are done yearly, usually no other cost than your GP's consultation fee, part of which is refundable on medicare or if your lucky enough you may find a GP who bulkbills.

If there are problems yes a public hospital may treat you for free, but the waiting list might be another concern, gyno probs here (SE QLD) the waiting list for public hospital is likely to be several months, private you could be lucky and get in within 2 - 5 weeks depending on who you want to see.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:25 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
the waiting list for public hospital is likely to be several months
Jad,

just out of interest: do you actually know anyone who - on being diagnosed as having pre-cancerous cells - had to wait "several months"???

Gina
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Paps are done yearly, usually no other cost than your GP's consultation fee, part of which is refundable on medicare or if your lucky enough you may find a GP who bulkbills.

If there are problems yes a public hospital may treat you for free, but the waiting list might be another concern, gyno probs here (SE QLD) the waiting list for public hospital is likely to be several months, private you could be lucky and get in within 2 - 5 weeks depending on who you want to see.
Ok for those of you still getting them yearly - why??? I do paps and well woman clinics and the recommendation by Qld Health is they are done every 2 years unless you've had previous abnormal paps/history. Even then after a few negative paps you can go back to 2 yearly. Important to note it is only a screening test, even if you've had a negative pap smear but you have odd symptoms (bleeding inbetween periods, bleeding after sex etc) you still have to return to the GP's for referral for a colposcopy and further treatment.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Ok for those of you still getting them yearly - why??? I do paps and well woman clinics and the recommendation by Qld Health is they are done every 2 years unless you've had previous abnormal paps/history. Even then after a few negative paps you can go back to 2 yearly. Important to note it is only a screening test, even if you've had a negative pap smear but you have odd symptoms (bleeding inbetween periods, bleeding after sex etc) you still have to return to the GP's for referral for a colposcopy and further treatment.
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/cervica.../pap_smear.asp

Here we go!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

If you needed treatment you would be able to use the public healthcare service medicare...to be honest I think Oz hospital care is second to none and puts the NHS to shame.

I had a RTA in Oz 2 years ago and the care i got was great....try not to worry too much
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Jad,

just out of interest: do you actually know anyone who - on being diagnosed as having pre-cancerous cells - had to wait "several months"???

Gina

PM you.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok for those of you still getting them yearly - why???

Plenty of Docs call women in yearly. Maybe they are being cautious, maybe the long consultation fee is an incentive, like when they ask you to come back 3 days later for a cold or other minor problem.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the web site.

Stacey
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of Docs call women in yearly. Maybe they are being cautious, maybe the long consultation fee is an incentive, like when they ask you to come back 3 days later for a cold or other minor problem.

Probably the second one

They do them every two years in SA.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

TELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the rough

Been for my first Smear test here in OZ, and I get the results back in a few days. I’m a bit concerned as a few years ago I had severe abnormalities and I had to have a Large Loop Excision of the Cervix. Which was done through the NHS. It was all done very quickly. I know I shouldn’t feel like this but I have been having a few tale tale signs that something’s not right. What happens if my results come back abnormal again. We have no private health insurance. Would it cost me to have the treatment over here.

From a nervous Stacey
Hi Stacey
I can't comment on healthcare in Oz but I just want to wish you all the best. I hope your results are ok. I'm sure you'll find plenty of sensitive support on this site if you need it. Feel free to pm me at any time.
TA
Old Sep 5th 2007, 2:51 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Stacey
me too, i had the coloscopy treatment last week and was told to have a test in 6 months, then again in another 6 months and than once a year for 10 years. But nothing was said about a higher risk as they removed the surronding area as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.